Adding WiFi functionality to non-wifi cams

wayneinteressierts

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure how well, if at all, these WiFi SD cards would work with a cam like the 100HD. I didn't even know they exist until about 5 minutes ago.

Here's a 32GB Class 10 SDHC + WiFi for ~$60:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Informa ... 00A659ILQ/

Granted, a nice mobile/desktop app would need to be created to watch live but until then it seems like it could be a nice upgrade for file transfer to cams that take full SD cards.

haven't tried those cards but I'd reasonably expect them to be pretty short range in this application, to be fair though I don't think they were really designed with distance in mind, doubt they would compare to the proper WiFi cam solution at least, have a look at posts by Mtz, he is getting some really impressive results from his

Wikipedia puts their range at ~27 meters outdoor and ~14 indoor. Definitely not good enough to stream from your office unless you have a prime parking spot ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye-Fi

Also, a few amazon reviews have mentioned slow transfer speeds.

It would still be fun to experiment with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found the holy grail of Wi-Fi-ification!
It's the PQI Air Card. This is a Micro SD to SD adapter that runs Linux on a 200 MHz ARM9 CPU with 24 MB of RAM and an 802.11g/n controller with WPA2 support. You can get root access to it's file system over Telnet and access to your Micro SD card over FTP. Anyone with basic Linux programming skills should be able to write some auto-syncing program for it since it's file system is fully accessible.

this would be good if that could be sorted for cams that take SD cards, nice way to add extra functionality

The best part is you can upgrade your memory however you want. If you want (or already have) a 32 GB class 10 Micro SD card just buy one and stick it in. And you can access the entire SD card, not just .jpg files that happen to be in the DCIM folder like with Eye-Fi.

Edit: And you can delete files over Wi-Fi as well.

Narcopolypse said:
It's the PQI Air Card. This is a Micro SD to SD adapter that runs Linux on a 200 MHz ARM9 CPU with 24 MB of RAM and an 802.11g/n controller with WPA2 support. You can get root access to it's file system over Telnet and access to your Micro SD card over FTP. Anyone with basic Linux programming skills should be able to write some auto-syncing program for it since it's file system is fully accessible.
Are you planning to get one and test it out?

ExMet said:
Are you planning to get one and test it out?
Yes. I have been doing research for a while and just found this card adapter today.
I just ordered one off of fleaBay and I'll report back on functionality as soon as it arrives.

jokiin said:
just a shame it's so expensive
Not compared to an Eye-Fi card. A 16GB Eye-Fi card cost $100. I just bought this on fleaBay for $61.95 and I already have a 32GB UHS class 1 card to put in it. (which I paid $32.10 for at Best Buy but could have gotten cheaper off the interwebs)

Narcopolypse said:
jokiin said:
just a shame it's so expensive
Not compared to an Eye-Fi card. A 16GB Eye-Fi card cost $100. I just bought this on fleaBay for $61.95 and I already have a 32GB UHS class 1 card to put in it. (which I paid $32.10 for at Best Buy but could have gotten cheaper off the interwebs)

compared to that then yeah it's a better deal, what I meant though (thinking from a manufacturing perspective) is that it's a shame it's so expensive as it would be cheaper just to add WiFi functionality to the camera, if it were cheaper it would be a good option for the end user to add the WiFi functionality to a cam

Let us know if it works well and if its got encription.

jimjones said:
Let us know if it works well and if its got encription.

I'll let you know if it works well but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any "encriptions" on it.
It does however (as I already clearly stated) have an encrypted wireless connection.

Update:
I got the Air Card the other day and it seems to work pretty good... when it wants to work. As far as ease of use I would rate it pretty high but for some reason the Wi-Fi won't stay on. When I plug in the dash cam it works fine but the connection just dies after about a minute. I tried plugging the card into the card reader on my laptop and it does the same thing so I think I might have a defective unit. When it does work I can connect my Android phone and view the recordings quite well. I think I'll call customer support and see if they have any suggestions. I'll let you guys know if I find anything else out.

There will be wifi microsd as well..

http://www.squidoo.com/micro-sd-wifi-card
lens19815714_1349110747___a.jpg

Spectec Micro SD Wifi Card
Special Features:

-World First micro SDIO 802.11b/g Card
-Ultra Low power consumption
-Pocket PC/PDA Phone (Smartphone)
-Skype Compatible
Key Specifications:

Network Standard Support
IEEE 802.11b/g

Network Architectures
Infrastructure, Ad-Hoc

Modulation Techniques
BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM, CCK, OFDM, DSSS

Receiver Sensitivity
85 dBm

Power Consumption
Receive: 110 mA

Supply Voltage
DC 3.0V - 3.6V

Operating Temperature
-45 °C to +85 °C

Host Interface
Micro SDIO

OS Support
Windows Mobile 5.0 / 6.0

*All specifications are subject to change without prior notice.

Narcopolypse said:
It's the PQI Air Card.
Also I like because you can use any MicroSD card in it. Just think if your SDCard will go corrupt. Using the PQI as an adapter you will save it and throw only the MicroSD Card.

jokiin said:
haven't tried those cards but I'd reasonably expect them to be pretty short range in this application, to be fair though I don't think they were really designed with distance in mind, doubt they would compare to the proper WiFi cam solution at least, have a look at posts by Mtz, he is getting some really impressive results from his
I agree, I have two experiences regarding wireless transmission and a Wi-Fi dedicated dashcam: Itronics ITB-250HD.

Narcopolypse said:
When I plug in the dash cam it works fine but the connection just dies after about a minute.
I read somewhere that the Wi-Fi is consuming some considerable power and I think if it is not used for 1 minute it will enter in some Power saving mode. I was looking in the Android application settings and I didn't saw anything about this.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• PQI_Air.png
    PQI_Air.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 202
Thanks for this forum and WiFi talk. Just registered even tough I am a "lecher" for some time.
I want a WiFi dash-cam but it seems the BlackVue's have some problems.
I want to connect from my drive-way to my house (~20 yard) over a regular encrypted WiFi connection, windows 7.
Android's, Blackberries, Iphone, any kind of cell phones........ I consider them just to be good enough to stomp on them when you are mad, ALL are just spying on you. Orwell 1984 arrived a bit delayed :)
My question now, how good is the PQI Aircard and what is the best dash-cam to use with it? Day and Night is important since it is time for me to ketch the people that let there dog's take a dump in my yard. :shock:
My car is parked 80% of the time just at the right place, in my drive-way.
Thanks George

If you don't like BlackVue you can look at Itronics ITB-250HD. The wireless coverage area is bigger for sure than any Wi-Fi card.
My advice is to read carefully again my previous post.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back