Adhesive pads sourcing

Spuds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
412GW, 512GW, 522GW, VIOFO A199V3
Has anyone and suggestion for sourcing the adhesive pads for the front and rear camera. I am changing my car this week and have removed the cameras in preparation. Also can you suggest a way of removing the sticky gunky mess left behind on the glass. I have tried scraping and rubbing alcohol and all that has achieved is spreading the mess further.

Just look up 3M adhesive pads, they are fairly widely available, and for UK use, most types will work OK even if they are not as strong or temperature resistant as the originals. Make sure the glass is really clean and degreased though if you are not using a high strength pad.

The most effective way to remove troublesome gunk is to use petrol as a solvent, obviously being extremely careful to provide excessive ventilation and to use very limited quantities.

Most pads will come off reasonably cleanly with the help of some heat from a hairdryer and not need extreme measures.

Just look up 3M adhesive pads, they are fairly widely available, and for UK use, most types will work OK even if they are not as strong or temperature resistant as the originals. Make sure the glass is really clean and degreased though if you are not using a high strength pad.

The most effective way to remove troublesome gunk is to use petrol as a solvent, obviously being extremely careful to provide excessive ventilation and to use very limited quantities.

Most pads will come off reasonably cleanly with the help of some heat from a hairdryer and not need extreme measures.
Agree on the 3m pads, I've used the Command 3m strips in the past, they come off very easily and don't leave much residue.
In terms of removing the gunk from the standard pad, if you don't want to use petrol then I've had success with both nail varnish remover or Muc-off.

Nail polish remover does also the job for sticky stuff.

Edit: Ah, just realised clintboy already suggested.

Stuff sticking to other stuff, and not too fragile, i go strait for my Kent Speedy 500

I got this one,,,,, well just half of it now.
DV_WebLarge_I_KT14915.jpg

But looking for this pic i just found this one, which i like even more.
5 gallon. maybe that can get Danish politicians to part with their seats,,,,, if not desolving what ever glue they use then it can if you light a match.
DV_WebLarge_I_KT14916.jpg

BUT !
California Prop 65 WARNING
California Proposition 65: WARNING: Cancer - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

Restriction_Web_IC.png
Restrictions: Hazardous Material: This item cannot ship via any air services. Please reference the SDS for hazardous information specific to this item. Additional shipping charges may apply.

DANGER
Hazard Statements
Causes skin irritation
Causes serious eye irritation
May cause an allergic skin reaction
May cause drowsiness or dizziness
May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways
Highly flammable liquid and vapor

Precautionary Statements - Prevention
Wash face, hands and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling
Avoid breathing dust/fume/gas/mist/vapors/spray
Contaminated work clothing must not be allowed out of the workplace.Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area
Keepawayfromheat/sparks/openflames/hotsurfaces.—Nosmoking
Keep container tightly closedGround/Bond container and receiving equipment
Use only non-sparking tools
Take precautionary measures against static dischargeKeep cool
Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection
Use explosion-proof electrial/ventilating/lighting /equipment.
Precautionary Statements - Response
IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.If eye irritation persists: Get medical advice/attention
IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/showerWash contaminated clothing before reuseIf skin irritation or rash occurs: Get medical advice/attention
IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep comfortable for breathing.Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician if you feel unwel

The good stuff / things that work are never pleasant, when will politicians learn this and start to make the world better.

As already stated above, contact nextbase dm on the forum. They have supplied me with additional 3m mounts before for free so I'm sure they'd be able to send out a couple of 3m pads for nothing... Most manufacturers these days I. E viofo they supply extra 3m pads in the box (nextbase take note) plus there dash cams are cheaper to buy etc

Has anyone and suggestion for sourcing the adhesive pads for the front and rear camera. I am changing my car this week and have removed the cameras in preparation. Also can you suggest a way of removing the sticky gunky mess left behind on the glass. I have tried scraping and rubbing alcohol and all that has achieved is spreading the mess further.
Hi,

If you'd like to private message me your full name and postal address, I'll get replacement pads sent to you.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Thank you all, in this community, for sending advice. It is much appreciated. Millie from Nextbase is kindly sending me replacement pads for the front and rear cameras. I am sure your advice will help others facing the same issues.

Hi,

If you'd like to private message me your full name and postal address, I'll get replacement pads sent to you.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase
Many thanks Millie. Pads arrived yesterday and cameras mounted on new car. I appreciate your support.

Millie, I am in the same situation. Purchased a rear view camera to connect to my 522 but it won't fit as I've located the mount to close to the rear view mirror and will have to relocate the mount. I don't know where I've put the box or if I even threw it out and placed the remaining contents "handy" that handy. I can' t remember where.
Any help would be appreciated

Millie doesn't come here any more, you'll need to phone them.

Then ask them why they they abandoned this site.

Thanks Tony, order sent.
Contacted customer support and they gave me a method to remove the pad using a plastic scraper/spatula and remove the residue using white spirit on a rag
Also told me that there's a spare in the box. The box that I can't find

Last edited:
I have a roll of M3 tape, or rather it is of the brand tesa, but still work fine.
More easy to snip off a piece or two to use on whatever, than sourcing the original pads or near original pads.

3M now sells a two inch wide type 5952 VHB tape. I've found this to be the best aftermarket dash cam adhesive replacement option since a single piece of tape can be cut and trimmed to cover most any camera mounting plate.

I purchase it at Home Depot but I assume it should be available at any good hardware store or other big box locations.

3M VHB 2 inch.jpg

I have just put a strip of the 15 or is it 18 mm wide tape, have not bothered with putting anything extra beside it even if the mount had a larger surface.
My innovv C3 camera on the rounded part of the B pillar, i think only 25% of its surface was engaged ( and it was not a big mounting surface ) but it stayed in place for years and even got bumped now and then.

Still if you can get the fat one above,,,,,,, get the fat one, in accordance to go big or go home :)(y)

I have just put a strip of the 15 or is it 18 mm wide tape, have not bothered with putting anything extra beside it even if the mount had a larger surface.
My innovv C3 camera on the rounded part of the B pillar, i think only 25% of its surface was engaged ( and it was not a big mounting surface ) but it stayed in place for years and even got bumped now and then.

Still if you can get the fat one above,,,,,,, get the fat one, in accordance to go big or go home :)(y)

For me, living on a bumpy mountain road a secure mount makes a big difference. Over the years (but not so much recently) I've had cameras fall off the windshield when hitting a good bump or a washboard section of road. That was mostly with older ball joint, post mounted cameras rather than wedge style which tend to be much more stable.

I used to just put two 3/4 or 1 inch pieces of VHB tape side by side and that works fine but I find the wider stuff is much preferable.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Skylar132 522GW 25
DanJ 522GW 9
Back