Adhesive tape

ToXIcG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
So I have recently upgraded to an A119 and I love it, it's so discreet and just a great dashcam, here is a pic of it looking nice and tidy.
Snapchat-1793632547.jpg

Anyway, I am wanting to use my old dashcam in the rear, a cheap £22 one but it works fine and isn't of that bad quality, here is the link (it's actually currently unavailable for some reason):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B019YX889I
I have tried just using the suction cup on the rear screen but it just eventually falls off, so I am thinking of using so double sided adhesive tape, the kinda stuff used to stick number plates on, something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009IQCET2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3ASE6PL6EGBXO&psc=1

It would need to stick to the suction cup (because this is the only mount for this camera) and then to the exposed metal of my boot hatch because I don't want to stick adhesive to the screen because of the heater wires.

I have already sorted everything but the mounting problem, I am powering it by running a USB extension cable to the rear (I didn't want to run another 12v, so only one fuse tap with this solution) and using the dual USB adapter provided with the A119, that is hardwired (I had thought it would get hot but it's doesn't seem to at all, which is great)

A couple of related thoughts ;) Sometimes you can push the pin out of the suction cup lever which releases the cup from the rest of the mount- might give you something more solid to stick the tape to. The 'ball' is probably the same size as some other cams/electronic mounts- maybe you can match that to an adhesive mount from something else.

Phil

Why mount the new 119 so low ?
I would have put most of it up on the dotted area, but maybe its not within wiper area then.

A couple of related thoughts ;) Sometimes you can push the pin out of the suction cup lever which releases the cup from the rest of the mount- might give you something more solid to stick the tape to. The 'ball' is probably the same size as some other cams/electronic mounts- maybe you can match that to an adhesive mount from something else.

Phil

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look into the 'ball' size, have you got any idea how I'd figure out the size of the ball?

Or maybe I could just use one of these disks stuck to the metal?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/GPS-Dashbo...rmin-Holder-Mount/1688968871?iid=371504967631

Why mount the new 119 so low ?
I would have put most of it up on the dotted area, but maybe its not within wiper area then.

Yeah that's the reason, it needed to be that low (well it could've maybe been an inch or so higher) so that the lens was within the wiper area, it's mostly hidden behind the mirror so I don't mind.

Last edited:
At least your mirror have a color it can blend with, my mirror are that grey / white color, but then i have further reaching wipers that even go into the dotted area on the middle of the windscreen, so my camera are all the way up there.
And i can see the LCD over the mirror for settings, though that dont matter mush as my eyes are so bad i can barely read the menus on my GC :(

So I ordered these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272072360360 (I ordered two in case I messed up mounting one of them but you can order just one here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371504967631)

They were delivered next day even though it says two days which is great :)

I mounted it here:
mount.jpg

Even thought the adhesive isn't fully stuck on because of the limited metal available, it is very firm and doesn't seem like it will fall off, also there is little cable clutter because the wire goes into the door seal.

I haven't left it for long enough to test it fully so we will see if it stays on, I will update in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Its nice when you can go off the hatch frame, i do the same with my rear camera just using a neodymium magnet and a metal spacer fixed to the camera.
This way i have the camera lens right up against the glass and so no heater elements in the footage, but to do that you have to use the smallest action cameras like mobius or the rear camera of dual channel systems that's also small.
Only issue being how to have the lens come off the camera and into the headliner as it is after all a pretty large gap when a hatch are open.

Cant link to my setup as my picture file host have folded and i have none of the photos to upload to a new place.

Its nice when you can go off the hatch frame, i do the same with my rear camera just using a neodymium magnet and a metal spacer fixed to the camera.
This way i have the camera lens right up against the glass and so no heater elements in the footage, but to do that you have to use the smallest action cameras like mobius or the rear camera of dual channel systems that's also small.
Only issue being how to have the lens come off the camera and into the headliner as it is after all a pretty large gap when a hatch are open.

Cant link to my setup as my picture file host have folded and i have none of the photos to upload to a new place.

Using a magnet is a pretty nice solution.

The heated wires don't bother me too much, im pretty happy with the mounting solution, there is a little bit of extra wire when it is closed but it looks fine and gets a nice wide angle view (the way I had it before the wiper was barely in the picture, even when on), here is a pic.

vlc_2017-11-16_14-39-16.jpg

Last edited:
your hatch also seem less vertical than mine on my Suzuki splash, bar a few degrees my rear glass are vertical.

So after a couple of days of use the camera is still on and I am very pleased with the mounting solution.
Here is a pic from the inside when the hatch is closed:
20171117_031310.jpg

I have also realised that because of how I pointed the camera, you can actually see when I am braking because of the high level brake light, which i think is pretty cool.
vlc_2017-11-18_15-21-59.jpg
It is obviously more visible in the dark.
Screenshot_20171117-030935.png

Back