Adorama has the WR1 for $69+FS but is on backorder.

They didn't get any from us, and we will not ship to them due to limited quantity for first batch.

this is the same seller that only offers 30 days warranty and then pushes customers to the manufacturer for warranty, even though that's in China, better for anyone looking for one of these to buy from somewhere where you get real warranty support like @OCD Tronic or @CaptureYourAction

this is the same seller that only offers 30 days warranty and then pushes customers to the manufacturer for warranty, even though that's in China, better for anyone looking for one of these to buy from somewhere where you get real warranty support like @OCD Tronic or @CaptureYourAction

I've been dealing with Adorama for 35 years. They are one of the two largest and most knowledgeable professional camera dealers in NYC. (the other is B&H Photo) I've visited their store on W18th Street many a time. They have branched out onto more consumer oriented camera products like dash cams but they are not generally in the business of servicing warranties from Chinese vendors... or Nikon and Canon for that matter. Still, they are as solid and trustworthy a vendor you will ever find. If there is a problem or you don't like the camera and want to just return it they will take excellent care of you. The have carried the full line of Viofo products for quite some time now.

Anyone who purchased the WR1 for $69.00 has done very well for themselves. I almost bought one from Adorama at that price but ultimately decided against it, yet the temptation to buy one for the same price as a Mobius 1 was crazy tempting.

I appreciate @jokiin's efforts to steer business toward his "network" but people should be aware of good alternatives and question why he is "smearing" a firm like Adorama.

You know, the fact that the product category of dash cams is so iffy and unreliable and failure prone that there would even be a need for the kind of "over-the-top" level of customer service that is touted and heavily promoted as a business model and as a sales tool here on DCT is something we all should think about.

They came up as an issue previously with Viofo products with them pushing people to deal with China after 30 days, has been posted here in the forum, given it's a new model I don't see it as a smart purchase to buy from them, they don't even have the stock and as @viofo pointed out already none has been allocated to them either, not what I'd consider to be good business practices

Not saying they aren't legitimate but don't agree with the way they handle business when they are the importer of the product, perhaps that's legal there, they'd never get away with it here, buying on home soil should be an advantage, not always for you guys

They came up as an issue previously with Viofo products with them pushing people to deal with China after 30 days, has been posted here in the forum, given it's a new model I don't see it as a smart purchase to buy from them, they don't even have the stock and as @viofo pointed out already none has been allocated to them either, not what I'd consider to be good business practices

Not saying they aren't legitimate but don't agree with the way they handle business when they are the importer of the product, perhaps that's legal there, they'd never get away with it here, buying on home soil should be an advantage, not always for you guys

Well, as I said, if you buy from them and there should be a problem with a defective camera, or you just don't like it, they will take care of you. It could be they are dealing with grey market Viofo products. Sellers like Adorama and B&H and many other large retailers in NYC have been dealing in grey market products since forever. It's common import practice and there is nothing wrong with it. It offers good prices to consumers. The difference is the stated warranty support. Outfits like Adorama will sometimes offer tiers of products. So a high end Nikon camera might be available at one price from them as a factory authorized US import and another as grey market, both with different warranties, but they are the same product and they will stand behind it either way.

It could also just be that they are confident that the "unallocated" WR1 would sooner or later be "allocated" to them and available to them so they offered it at a killer price of 69 bucks until it was actually in stock. I've been monitoring this deal for weeks and the "underground" has been too. ;)

Last edited:
This pricing makes no sense and is below cost. (what's the point?)
VIOFO recently asked if OCD Tronic can help take on additional warranty support from a few past sellers because some companies (that they will most likely cut off) aren't providing any warranty support after 30 days, and telling customers to contact the factory in China. I won't name any names, but let's just say a few of the last posts are very accurate.

Last edited:
This pricing makes no sense and is below cost. (what's the point?)
VIOFO recently asked if OCD Tronic can help take on additional warranty support from a few past sellers because some companies (that they will most likely cut off) aren't providing any warranty support after 30 days, and telling customers to contact the factory in China.

Do VIOFO re-imburse or compensate Retailers for taking on their Warranty support ... or do they ask for Volunteers to put the time in and wear the cost themselves?
I myself would not like the latter. Every Company/Boss loves people who will work for them for free. :D

TBD but not free and it wouldn't make sense to allow sellers to continue selling VIOFO that don't support the 1 year warranty.

So, OCD, sell me the camera for $69 and I promise to not contact you for any warranty after 30 days:)
I'll take a 43.5% discount on the price for the chance it breaks on the 31st day or later.

There is a place for customer service 'premium' companies, and a place for low support. Not going to turn this into which is better/worse or right/wrong; consumers with options is the best approach.

Edit: I will say it is **** of the company to offer a product they knowingly don't have.

I have just purchased a VIOFO A119s from an Oz online Retailer... seeing I am supporting this Company ... I have an interest in how they behave ---> VIOFO ;P

Last edited:
Edit: I will say it is **** of the company to offer a product they knowingly don't have.

I dunno, a retailer stating upfront that for the listed price, a deeply discounted item is back-ordered seems like a decent proposition. It's nothing different from what the more familiar dash cam vendors call "pre-order", only without the hype.

a loss leader is generally something you have in stock (legal requirement in our market, maybe yours is different) just to get the customer in, really only applies to brick and mortar retail though, not online sales, buying online people will just buy so no real advantage to selling something below cost

advertising something you knowingly don't have is called bait and switch, after they collect the money and you find out there's no product to offer the alternate offers start happening

there is also the possibility that they just screwed up and advertised the wrong price, that doesn't get around the fact that they're advertising a product that they haven't got coming but could still explain the below cost pricing, mistakes do happen, that still doesn't get around the fact that they only support the product for 30 days though and that is something that should be taken into consideration when ordering

a loss leader is generally something you have in stock (legal requirement in our market, maybe yours is different) just to get the customer in, really only applies to brick and mortar retail though, not online sales, buying online people will just buy so no real advantage to selling something below cost

advertising something you knowingly don't have is called bait and switch, after they collect the money and you find out there's no product to offer the alternate offers start happening

there is also the possibility that they just screwed up and advertised the wrong price, that doesn't get around the fact that they're advertising a product that they haven't got coming but could still explain the below cost pricing, mistakes do happen, that still doesn't get around the fact that they only support the product for 30 days though and that is something that should be taken into consideration when ordering

Hey man, what WTF are you saying? It's not "bait and switch" if they deliver the exact product they are advertising. Advertising something you knowingly don't have is called fraud.

Hey man, what WTF are you saying? It's not "bait and switch" if they deliver the exact product they are advertising. Advertising something you knowingly don't have is called fraud.

ok, they don't have it, it does show on backorder so that's a fair thing, if they deliver the product there's no bait and switch going on, however Viofo already stated they're not getting any so how are they going to fill the backorders I wonder

ok, they don't have it, it does show on backorder so that's a fair thing, if they deliver the product there's no bait and switch going on, however Viofo already stated they're not getting any so how are they going to fill the backorders I wonder

Gee, I dunno but they have sold the entire Viofo line for quite some time now, not just the WR1. Customers seem contented. Like I said, there is a very long time prevalent business practice, especially in NYC called "grey market" and this may be an example of that. It involves importing international goods from the open markets rather than necessarily through the usual channels. Grey market goods would not be a normal part of international trade all these years if it didn't serve a decent purpose. It is entirely legal. Then again, whether Adorama's selling the Viofo line is even grey market or otherwise I wouldn't know.

It's curious how you guys keep attacking a venerable retailer like Adorama?

I want VIOFO to be successful with stable global team effort pricing and a good support network. The brand is more important than the current product for sale. Any seller that guts the market with stupid low and below cost pricing for their own loss leader marketing campaign reasons is not helping VIOFO at all.

Back