ADVERTISED features

The existing Parking Guard function, not using the optional mount, will have virtually no effect on the battery life and if someone reverses into the front of your car and then drives off they are quite likely to be caught by that.

Hi Nigel
I am a bit confused now.
According to the manual you need the optional Parking Guard mount to support the Parking Guard function.
According to JooVuu's posting, he quotes that Mini 0806 will not have parking guard feature or bracket. It will only be available for the 0807.

How does one use Parking Guard mode on the 0806 ?

Hi Nigel
I am a bit confused now.
According to the manual you need the optional Parking Guard mount to support the Parking Guard function.
According to JooVuu's posting, he quotes that Mini 0806 will not have parking guard feature or bracket. It will only be available for the 0807.

How does one use Parking Guard mode on the 0806 ?
Go to the menu, find Parking Guard and set it to "medium".

It will then wake up on impact and record for 10 seconds using the internal battery.

There can be an issue if it detects you closing the door as an impact, wakes up and then you start the engine while it is still recording - it shuts down again after it's 10 seconds and stays off while you drive away! That's why I said "Medium" but that will depend on your car, you may or may not find it's a problem. We are waiting for a firmware update to fix it.

The only cameras that currently do half decent parking modes are the Korean models with the CSR Coach or Texas Instruments processors - currently as @Dashmellow has said it's something they all add to their marketing spiel so that it doesn't appear they're getting left behind etc, but in reality it's as much use a chocolate teapot on most cameras.

It's why I moved my way through loads of dashcams before ending up on the Panorama range as not only do they offer the current best all around picture quality you'll get throughout the entire day but you're covered with a decent parking mode and low current draw to maximise the length of time parking mode will run for.

The devs on the A7 platform are all at the mercy of what is made available to them by Ambarella and although some may have unique ideas around how to solve a problem currently most of the advanced features you're looking for just aren't reliable on that platform.

The only cameras that currently do half decent parking modes are the Korean models with the CSR Coach or Texas Instruments processors - currently as @Dashmellow has said it's something they all add to their marketing spiel so that it doesn't appear they're getting left behind etc, but in reality it's as much use a chocolate teapot on most cameras.

It's why I moved my way through loads of dashcams before ending up on the Panorama range as not only do they offer the current best all around picture quality you'll get throughout the entire day but you're covered with a decent parking mode and low current draw to maximise the length of time parking mode will run for.

The devs on the A7 platform are all at the mercy of what is made available to them by Ambarella and although some may have unique ideas around how to solve a problem currently most of the advanced features you're looking for just aren't reliable on that platform.

That sums it up nicely. A7 has a lot of potential but the SDK will take more time to mature first.

I had to put our A7 projects on hold while we wait for the SDK to catch up and actually deliver the promised functionality

Go to the menu, find Parking Guard and set it to "medium".
It will then wake up on impact and record for 10 seconds using the internal battery.

That's not reliable at all if it has to start the camera and record.
It'll take at least 5 seconds to boot up and record.
That's enough time for a car to knock the bumper and go out of the FOV.

What's needed is option for constant buffering without record so it can go back 10-20 seconds before the actual event.
I'm not sure how different is the battery use compared to all time recording vs all time buffering without recording. :confused:

That's not reliable at all if it has to start the camera and record.
It'll take at least 5 seconds to boot up and record.
That's enough time for a car to knock the bumper and go out of the FOV.

What's needed is option for constant buffering without record so it can go back 10-20 seconds before the actual event.
I'm not sure how different is the battery use compared to all time recording vs all time buffering without recording. :confused:

I agree, but maybe 20 sec can put too much stress to CPU, but minimum 5 sec before ebent should be fine. Buffer requires constant recording into RAM and dashcam should be 24/7 connected to live battery source. Not all chipsets can succesfuly work with buffering.

Back