Advice appreciated

M4ttc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have just installed my a119 V3 and hardwired it in using the approved Viofo HW kit. All works fine.
I am looking for parking mode settings recommendations.

I park my car in my garage when not in use so there is no danger of it getting knocked. It can go 3 or 4 days without being driven as I now work from home. I go into the garage a lot so don't want to enable motion alerts as I am not sure it would help.

I only occasionally park in car parks etc but sometimes I do like when I go the shops.

What settings would anyone recommend for parking mode?

Thanks
Matt

You could turn parking mode off, then if you are using the HK3 wired correctly, it will shut down when you turn off the engine but if you are in the supermarket car park you can press the power button to turn it back on again to record normally while parked.

Hi all
I have just installed my a119 V3 and hardwired it in using the approved Viofo HW kit. All works fine.
I am looking for parking mode settings recommendations.

I park my car in my garage when not in use so there is no danger of it getting knocked. It can go 3 or 4 days without being driven as I now work from home. I go into the garage a lot so don't want to enable motion alerts as I am not sure it would help.

I only occasionally park in car parks etc but sometimes I do like when I go the shops.

What settings would anyone recommend for parking mode?

Thanks
Matt

Low bitrate parking mode is ideal. Although, I don't think any setting is going to withstand the rigors of 3-4 days of parking. For that you'd need to daisy chain multiple battery packs versus a hardwire to your vehicle's fusebox. Assuming that's how you hardwired.

With low bitrate parking mode, it records just in lesser bitrate and quality. Preventing the memory card from being consumed and overwitten while parking, especially long term.

What if I just take the unit out the car when it is in my garage? Or disconnect the USB power supply into the GPS ?

What if I just take the unit out the car when it is in my garage? Or disconnect the USB power supply into the GPS ?
that would get old pretty quickly, instead of pulling the power cable or removing the camera, or fumbling through menus when you want to use parking mode, or disabling parking mode and then powering the camera on when you want to use it and then having to rely on the camera to decide it's parked and the quirks that come with that there is an alternate option when using the three wire kit, set it up for proper three wiring parking mode which will work reliably, and the times when you don't want parking mode parked at home or whatever just reach up and press and hold the power button and turn the camera off, the next time it restarts it's business as usual

@jokiin Thanks!
I didnt know you could do that... I thought it was always 'on' if that makes sense. So I could set it to motion detection by default but when it's in my garage, just power if off via the on/off button?

Great.. thanks @jokiin
If you normally want parking mode off then set that as the default, if you normally want it on then set that as default.

The power button will override it either way.

For supermarket parking it’s good to use low bitrate parking mode or normal recording so that you never miss anything and always have the full buildup to every event.

With modes that trigger on events, there is always a chance of not triggering or doing so at the wrong time.

With modes that trigger on events, there is always a chance of not triggering or doing so at the wrong time.
Everything works fine on the latest firmware. Recording starts 14 seconds before motion is detected in the frame.

Thanks @Nigel
Of course that makes sense. I will turn low bit rate on and turn the device off when I don't need it.. what bitrate would you recommend?
Presumably, turn all the g sensor stuff off ?

Sorry for being a noob, I've always just installed it, my first dashcam

Thanks @Nigel
Of course that makes sense. I will turn low bit rate on and turn the device off when I don't need it.. what bitrate would you recommend?

For the low bitrate, the camera decides the bitrate, the bitrate setting is only for when driving, for that medium is OK, maximum is best quality, I think most of us have it set to maximum, but if you want to store more hours then reducing it can make sense.

Leave the g-sensor on default, along with anything else you aren't sure of, at least until you have asked. In low bitrate parking mode, a g-sensor event should lock the current file so that it doesn't get overwritten for a long time.

Thanks @Nigel

On hardwiring to the fuse box, Wires are color coded and you connect a fuse tap to them. Black = Ground Yellow = ACC (Ignition) and Red = Battery.

So if you hardwire to a battery pack or fuse box, the camera will then support parking mode. You simply go into menu and set low bitrate. When you dont want camera to record, hold power button and turn off. That's what I do when I have car at a place theres no need for recording.

G sensor can be set accordingly

low = Least sensitive
medium = Middle Sensitivity
High = Most Sensitive

It all depends if you want the car to pick up every little event (High) or only hard knocks (low). I typically run my car at Medium.

Thanks fellas. Tested the parking mode this morning and all worked well. I will just turn the unit off when I park it in my garage.

Back