Advice - dashcam from korea?

Dee82

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there,

I'm glad that i found this forum here!
I've been reasearching for a bit now and decided that one of the korean brand dashcams might be the one for me:

- iroad t10
- iriver x7000
- blackvue dr650gw
- etc

I found that buying one of these directly from korea is so much cheaper than purchasing it from an australian retailer (if even available).

However, i read on one site, that the GPS / Wifi won't work if operated outside of korea (korean vs global version)?
Unfortunately, i couldn't find any information if that is true or not.
GPS functionality is definitely something i want.

Can anyone clarify? Hope this all makes sense:)

Many thanks in advance!

Lukas and QVIA is also Korean
Yeah, there are plenty of other brands i didn't name in my post:)
I'm just a bit confused as one australian dash cam site mentioned that certain makes won't work here (GPS and/or wifi).

It's perhaps a licensing issue?

Last edited:
not true, which site said it wouldn't work?

I'm pretty sure i got this info from a dealer (Stylebang) on amazon.
Here is his blurb:
Description
IROAD WIFI-LCD FullHD(Front/Rear) Dash Camera, 16G+GPS Set

DO NOT purchase from unauthorized seller, Product will be locked and we do not accept any defectives!!

But i think the GPS info came from a korean dealer on naver. We asked 3 different ones, and we got basically 3 different answers:/

I also found this:
http://corvit.sg/wordpress/?p=5299

It pretty much says that the wifi function won't work. Nothing about non-functuonal GPS though

The way they could do this is use GPS co-ordinates to disable WiFi based on your location, likewise they could disable GPS functionality based on location, from a hardware perspective the WiFi and GPS is no different, what software tricks they are using though is an unknown, would they do that, probably

I don't know that they're a great product anyway, if for whatever reason you want a Korean camera I'd probably look at other brands anyway

The top three brands in Korea are Thinkware, FineVu and Lukas, between them they own about 80% of the market there, and then there are hundreds of small players that make up the other 20%

The way they could do this is use GPS co-ordinates to disable WiFi based on your location, likewise they could disable GPS functionality based on location, from a hardware perspective the WiFi and GPS is no different, what software tricks they are using though is an unknown, would they do that, probably

I don't know that they're a great product anyway, if for whatever reason you want a Korean camera I'd probably look at other brands anyway

The top three brands in Korea are Thinkware, FineVu and Lukas, between them they own about 80% of the market there, and then there are hundreds of small players that make up the other 20%

Yeah, you're right! It's probably a good idea to look at other brands.
I just liked the design of the iroad t10...

Thanks for looking into this, really appreciate your time:)

I had an Itronics a few years ago (no WiFi or GPS) and was very happy with it, although as mentioned English support was lacking.

Back