Advice for a cam in Southern AZ (hot)

Leudast

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I've been poking around here and there and after this horrible holiday season where it seemed like Mad Max crossed with Burnout Paradise on the roads here, I've decided to get a dash cam.

I live in southern AZ and it can get to about 112°F (44C) here on the hottest days. I know I'm looking for something with a capacitor power source, but the 'best of' links weren't super helpful on the surface. I'm looking for some advice on different models here.

- Only need a front camera
- Budget: $150-ish range
- This is on a truck if that matters at all

Thanks!

Check out the Viofo and Mobius cameras here on DCT.

Welcome to DCT :)
The original Mobius seems to be the most heat-tolerant cam on the market when used with supercaps, but it's older tech and not so good at night. Street Guardian cams are also noted for doing well with heat too. The B1W isn't the best video quality but good enough for most and has gained a reputation for handling heat well. Viofo cams A119/A129 series have good video and seem to do OK in hotter climates.

Mounting and usage are a large factor in how well dashcams handle heat. If you aren't using parking mode and let the cabin cool a bit before use, and if the cam isn't exposed to direct sunlight, you can get good service with these. The biggest heat-related problems are usually with people having them turned on when parked. For that, I'd only trust Mobius or Street Guardian.

Phil

Back