Advice needed - Purple hue on Day, Grainy/Water Paint on Night

xyz_cityhunter86

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hi all, would like some advice on the issue I having with my A119 Mini.
My current setup is near center of the right side while camera setup slightly tilted to point towards the center of the car hood, as there's some smart camera module located behind the rearview mirror.
1665803643672.png

I had CPL on, Auto HDR (18:00 - 07:00) and Bitrate: High.
Good quality during the day, able to read the opposing lane car's plate, but somehow there's some purple wave hue on the top region. Not sure if this is due to the tilted setup/CPL/windscreen tint?
1665804305313.jpeg

Grainy quality during the night, even when driving slowly thru busy street, it's all grainy with bright and dark area.
1665805200732.jpeg

It turned into a water painting when driving on a dark highway. Any plausible cause of this is due to my setup or this is the current level of A119 Mini?
1665805231602.jpeg

Hi all, would like some advice on the issue I having with my A119 Mini.
My current setup is near center of the right side while camera setup slightly tilted to point towards the center of the car hood, as there's some smart camera module located behind the rearview mirror.
View attachment 62023

I had CPL on, Auto HDR (18:00 - 07:00) and Bitrate: High.
Good quality during the day, able to read the opposing lane car's plate, but somehow there's some purple wave hue on the top region. Not sure if this is due to the tilted setup/CPL/windscreen tint?
View attachment 62024

Grainy quality during the night, even when driving slowly thru busy street, it's all grainy with bright and dark area.
View attachment 62025

It turned into a water painting when driving on a dark highway. Any plausible cause of this is due to my setup or this is the current level of A119 Mini?
View attachment 62026

Strange Rainbows in Your Videos?

Oh, science~! :unsure:
Hm, at least knowing that the CPL is the culprit then I guess will just remove it for now and see how does it perform without CPL on both day and night.
Maybe will try position the camera to the center, right below the smart camera module to see if that helps with anything.
Currently seeing like a 5 degree slant on the video so some videos make me feel like higher on right side...o_O

knowing that the CPL is the culprit
Not really the CPL at fault, you would see the same thing if you were to use some polarised driving glasses, so it is the windscreen tint that is the real culprit.

Nothing you can do about it, but it doesn't affect the quality of evidence if you need to use your dashcam for evidence purposes, the license plates are still just as clear, so you can ignore it... unless you want to make nice road movies, in which case you'll have to change your car!

This is the current level of all good dashcams, none are significantly better in low light and at speed. The next generation will be better, but they are not here yet.

Night time would probably be improved a bit with the CPL removed, but then you may have worse problems in sunlight, give it a try, every car is a little different.

At night all i hope for / ask is documentation of my lane holding / speed / braking and colors of lights i pass thru, and most dashcams will do that just fine.
Detail even larger ones you will only get if it is stationary and you drive at idle speed in #1 gear. or of you and the target are at speed but only 1-2 MPH difference in between you and target.

You do some times see awesome promotion night footage, where you can even see plates, but then it is in towns that have a higher ambient light level at night than you have daylight in Denmark during the winter.
And the speed / difference in speed are small, and so you can actually be lucky and get plate capture.

Those towns with tonnes of light at night. like Las Vegas ASO,,,,,, well i lovingly call them whore towns, overly decorated / pimped out in this case with light.
I so like to see a ban in my country against LED billboards, a poster + light on it i am OK with, but those big LED signs,,,,, god awful and every watt used is a waste in my eyes.

Not really the CPL at fault, you would see the same thing if you were to use some polarised driving glasses, so it is the windscreen tint that is the real culprit.

Nothing you can do about it, but it doesn't affect the quality of evidence if you need to use your dashcam for evidence purposes, the license plates are still just as clear, so you can ignore it... unless you want to make nice road movies, in which case you'll have to change your car!
Yeah, it's a combination of both but at least the CPL is the easiest one that I can take off and experiment to see if there's any severe issue that might break daylight recording.
This is the current level of all good dashcams, none are significantly better in low light and at speed. The next generation will be better, but they are not here yet.

Night time would probably be improved a bit with the CPL removed, but then you may have worse problems in sunlight, give it a try, every car is a little different.
Ok, guess will try with the CPL off and see what's improved in the night recording. The first one which I was crawling moving thru the busy street was just a bit of a disappointment as I thought it would at least be clearer on the side parked car.
I guess if there's no major issue with CPL off during daylight then will just put it aside for the time being as it's monsoon season here so it will be darker at most of the times. Will remount the CPL when it's all sunny and bright again.

reflections you can also combat with a black dashmat, i have one of those too, DIY even as no one make things like that for the obscure little Suzuki car i drive.
Work just fine so i was able to test cameras that did not come with a CPL, which was the norm a few years ago, these days as it should be, many cameras come with a CPL filter.

reflections you can also combat with a black dashmat, i have one of those too, DIY even as no one make things like that for the obscure little Suzuki car i drive.
Work just fine so i was able to test cameras that did not come with a CPL, which was the norm a few years ago, these days as it should be, many cameras come with a CPL filter.
Will check if I will need to combat the reflections after taking off the CPL, but if it's not severe or distracting in the recording then I guess I can live with it.:rolleyes:

Back