Advice with hardwiring

arcticfire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a while since I posted here but would really appreciate some help.

My current car has no switching fuses in the cabin or boot fuse box so at the moment I've been using the 12V power socket (cigarette lighter kind) in the boot near the boot fuse box and the camera shuts down with the car. It's a SG9665GC camera.

I've recently found out that there's a spare plug (not socket or fuse) in the rear fuse box area which is used if you have the rechargeable torch accessory which I don't and have no intention of getting, but the plug is already there pre installed by the manufacturer and lying loose. The good news is that this is apparently a switching circuit and powers off with the car.

My intention is to use this with my VICO battery protection device. The plug consists of two wires which I'm assuming are live and negative (or ground) and a special end connector, it's the green thing in the photo.

I'm planning on connecting the always live circuit from the Vico via an add-a-circuit directly to one of the fuses in the boot fuse box.

Then I was going to cut the wires of the torch accessory plug a little further back (so I have the option to reconnect in the future via bullet connectors to the oem green plug if necessary) and install an inline fuse with the live wire from the torch accessory plug and then connect via bullet connectors to the ignition only circuit of the Vico.

Then I was going to connect the negative/ground wire from the Vico to a ground bolt near the boot fuse box.

Here's my question though which I'm unsure of. What do I do with the negative wire from the torch accessory plug? I am assuming I will ground this with the negative/ground wire from the Vico but is this wrong?

I was also considering trying to source a female socket to fit the green plug instead to save cutting any wires but then I'll still have the grounding question? I'm also trying to think of how the rechargeable torch handles it as the green plug just plugs straight into the charging dock so how does that ground?

Any advice will be gratefully received!

DSC_0042-1024x576.jpg

Here's a photo of the torch accessory pack.

Genuine-New-Jaguar-X-XE-LED-Rechargeable.jpg

Checked with an auto electrician buddy and it can go to ground.

Or technically you could just terminate it instead. I was stupidly not thinking straight and was wondering where the current would flow in the negative wire but as soon as the auto electrician said it can just go to ground it suddenly clicked that any current going through that wire (in a short circuit) wouldn't be flowing towards the plug but the other way around, that is if it were connected to the rechargeable torch, and back to wherever it grounds in the car.

But I only need the positive cable and I can ignore the negative cable because my ground is all taken care of with the negative wire from the Vico Battery Protect and there is no possible route for any current to actually get to that negative wire currently attached to the plug. Duh!

Last edited:
Back