Advices / Settings / Positioning

Xav424

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello everyone, first of all thank you for all the topics and answers, I have learned a lot on this forum.

I bought a Viofo Pro last week and installed it, I did some tests and settings, I'm overall very satisfied. There is only one thing that bothers me, it's the reflection of my dashboard that I find quite important, I have bought a CPL filter to overcome this, at least i thought.

Here is an example :

My main settings :

3840 x 2160P 30FPS
Wdr OFF
50 Hz
G-sensor Medium
EV -0.6
H.265

Do you think it is a problem of positionning the cam, or of my settings ? It is only one picture of the movie but sometimes it is even worse.

Thank you in advance for your answers guys !

Check liveview stream from your camera and try to rotate the CPL filter (yes, spin the glass disc) if you can get any better result.

Btw: The image looks kinda foggy (now i see it's more on a right side), despite the sunny day so also try to wipe it with a cloth. :p

Last edited:
I assume you have this. You should be able to rotate the glass part.
_vyr_239cpl-for-viofo-a118c2-a119-a119s-dash-camera.jpg

But you can also try to just rotate the whole CPL in front of your camera and then adjust the glass.

EDIT: To be more specific, by "rotate" i mean anti/clockwise, not flip the whole glass inside the plastic mount.

Aim the cam downward slightly- they generally do best with about 40% sky at the most.

Phil

The CPL filter will not remove all reflections, for instance in my car toward the side for the picture, my beige plastic trim on the A pillars are easy to see too ( i am contemplating getting new plastic trim at salvage yard and paint it flat black )

When tweaking CPL filter i put a white paper on the dashboard, then i can rotate the CPL glass until the reflection is as little as possible.
I use wifi and my phone to look at if that is a option, otherwise the cameras very tiny LCD screen.

BTW in my car i also have a flat black dashmat, mine i have made myself as no one make such things for my silly little Suzuki car.
But i still use the CPL filters too, but when i use action cameras on windscreen i dont have a CPL filter for all of them at least, so then the black dashmat take most reflections,

The above by Kamkar is the best way to set up a CPL (y)

Phil

When you have the CPL adjusted to the sweet spot, you might want to mark the edge of it ( on the edge of the CPL glass of course so it is not in the footage )
I have done so as when cleaning the CPL lens and windscreen on the inside you can risk moving the CPL glass a little, so a mark on the circumference of the CPL glass make it easy to check / reset if it have moved.

I assume you have this. You should be able to rotate the glass part.
_vyr_239cpl-for-viofo-a118c2-a119-a119s-dash-camera.jpg

But you can also try to just rotate the whole CPL in front of your camera and then adjust the glass.

EDIT: To be more specific, by "rotate" i mean anti/clockwise, not flip the whole glass inside the plastic mount.
Yes absolutely, I didnt saw that we can rotate the glass ! Thanks

The CPL filter will not remove all reflections, for instance in my car toward the side for the picture, my beige plastic trim on the A pillars are easy to see too ( i am contemplating getting new plastic trim at salvage yard and paint it flat black )

When tweaking CPL filter i put a white paper on the dashboard, then i can rotate the CPL glass until the reflection is as little as possible.
I use wifi and my phone to look at if that is a option, otherwise the cameras very tiny LCD screen.
Thanks for the tips, will try it !

You can also fix the glass in place, just do not use CA glues as fumes from those might damage lens / filter coatings.
But i just put a mark on the circumference of the glass with a marker pen or a file to make a small scratch

You can also fix the glass in place, just do not use CA glues as fumes from those might damage lens / filter coatings.
But i just put a mark on the circumference of the glass with a marker pen or a file to make a small scratch
Yeah I will defintely not risk the glue ^^

I take off or at least remove the cameras on my car windows when i clean them on the inside, so little risk of moving CPL glass, or get something on them that require me to clean it.
But every now and then i do clean the CPL filter too, i stopped smoking many years ago, but still a lot of dirt and goo find its way inside my car and onto the glass.

As a tester for some brands, some times i have 3-4-5 cameras on my windscreen, some i unplug and remove, others i can just detach from mount and then have dangling over my roof mounted mirror while i clean the glass on the inside.
As a dashcam user you can never clean your windscreen too much on the inside.
making me wonder when i was a smoker how i was able to see out of windscreens that only got "cleaned" on the inside during winter.

Also be sure not to put the CPL on upside down... That might make a difference, though I've not tried myself. It might change the angle of polarised light to too high up the windscreen?

Also be sure not to put the CPL on upside down... That might make a difference, though I've not tried myself. It might change the angle of polarised light to too high up the windscreen?
I have no Idea if I put it corectly, gonna check it also tomorrow, the little wheel we can see on the picture must be down ?

As a tester for some brands, some times i have 3-4-5 cameras on my windscreen, some i unplug and remove, others i can just detach from mount and then have dangling over my roof mounted mirror while i clean the glass on the inside.
As a dashcam user you can never clean your windscreen too much on the inside.
making me wonder when i was a smoker how i was able to see out of windscreens that only got "cleaned" on the inside during winter.
Iit's possible to unmount the cam without taking off the support that sticks to the windshield?

Edit : got my answer on another thread ; seems to slide id to the right.

Upside down makes zero difference to the operation, it just means that it is potentially possible for the glass to fall out!

The original frame grab looks quite good to me, some reflections near the sides of the image are inevitable, but it shouldn't have any reflections in the centre and you do seem to have one, so yes try rotating the glass using some white paper to create a good reflection.

Hello guys,

So today I tried to change what you told me ; firstly the CPL have a little red line, so I put this way down to the cam.

And I absolutely did not succeed in turning the glass, it seems fixed to me? Mine is transparent unlike the one in post number 4.

Here is a picture of today ride, seems worst than yesterday to me ? ^^

Back