AE Metering fine tune?

kotysoft

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Dash Cam
mini 0805, mini 0903
Hi everybody. I already digged myself into the depths of amateurish customizations of MINI 0805. Currently I'm experimenting with metering table, using the pieces of informations found on this forum and the useful AFT app . Basically I have no problem with my current video quality, but I think it can be better. You know what I say... Once you started to customize, it will never ends :)

I already took 10 (full sized) frames from my last week trips from different sceneries, and prepared the 12x8 table visualization on master layer in a graphics software to fine tune values what best fit all scenes. I'm planning to edit the CENTER metering mode to fit daytime use (currently has sunny, cloudy and rainy pics; don't know about snowy things but that will my future project).

But for these changes I need some advice and clear view how it is exactly works... As I can set values to blocks from 0 to 5 (original firmware had values up to 7). What these values exactly means?
  • If I set a block to ZERO then is it will be ignored?
  • These values can be considered as "weight" when metering?
  • For example two blocks of 2 (full black) equals to a single block of (100% white) 4 ?
  • I'd like to make the best metering profile for my car and dashcam position. Do you have any advices? (for hood, and sky, and the sides, etc)
  • Can anyone confirm, is there a connection between AE metering settings and Auto white balance?
Basically my goal is reach the most beautiful recording overally with readable licence plates. I want to avoid any blooms and underexposed scenes, and want to reach as many colors and contrast as possible.

-- EDIT: And of course after daytime metering mode, I'd like to create a custom metering mode for nighttime driving

Last edited:
I can't wait to try your firmware.

o is off, 1 is on, any number greater than 1 adds more importance to that section, you probably want to look at your screenshots in black and white to judge what changes you want to make

this video explains metering in an easy to understand way

Well... I had to agree, the default CENTER ae metering mode (with 1-2 block changed) was the best for my daytime recording :)
After that I spent some hours to experiment with night recording. I tried some variations played with WDR, HDR, AE metering and resolution.
I've attached a Gdrive folder, it contains some versions. Filename says the settings applied. Other settings are default.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9gv45kJLDT9WGhxWTFmRFpqOHc&usp=sharing

1.) The AVG metering mode currently a bit modified (just removed 1-1-1 from bottom line, and added some 2 to middle)
2.) My car is a 20yr-old crap, so the things on window is permament scratches, not just dirt, and the suspension is not the best
3.) The bitrate is intentionally much higher than default

What do you think about these?
I think I like 1920-tungst-center-wdrOFF-EV-1 the most

Well... I had to agree, the default CENTER ae metering mode (with 1-2 block changed) was the best for my daytime recording :)
After that I spent some hours to experiment with night recording. I tried some variations played with WDR, HDR, AE metering and resolution.
I've attached a Gdrive folder, it contains some versions. Filename says the settings applied. Other settings are default.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9gv45kJLDT9WGhxWTFmRFpqOHc&usp=sharing

1.) The AVG metering mode currently a bit modified (just removed 1-1-1 from bottom line, and added some 2 to middle)
2.) My car is a 20yr-old crap, so the things on window is permament scratches, not just dirt, and the suspension is not the best
3.) The bitrate is intentionally much higher than default

What do you think about these?
I think I like 1920-tungst-center-wdrOFF-EV-1 the most
I never try that much. I mod the AE meter after two day see alot of foorage but not see, review after that. So I cant give you any advice, but my ae table just like you said: 0- 0 - 0 at some line in bottom and top. Middle is 1 and 2, center is few 3.
HDR off is good, but WDR on is better seem more logical ? I will download your file and look carefully. thank :D

With WDR-ON I think the picture has more yellow than WDR-OFF. Dont know why, Whitebalance already set to TUNGSTEN
---
Today evening I'll probably try 2304 and 2560 with WDR off, WB:Tungsten, Meter:Center, EV:-1
But in my eyes 2560 has more noise?! Maybe software downsampling (bicubic?) helps to remove noise?
---
BTW does anybody knows how can I change camera settings (WB, EV, AE, resolution) in ASH? I already has 2 micro SD cards, and planning to use one for daytime and one for nighttime recording (and I'm too lazy to change settings everytime), so an autoexec.ash would be nice to do it automatically :)

Last edited:
Yes, in night time, tungsten is the best because the lights on street almost are wolfram light. it's meaning of tungsten. But in daytime ? Suny or clound will better in daytime. So what do we do ?
The first time, when I play video with higher bitrate, i feel the same way about noise in 2560 x 1080p. But when I upload to youtube, it's very good. Example:
then when i try diffirent video player in my laptop, there's diffirent. I can't play VLC in my laptop, so i usually play window media player classic. But in this day, I discover: in gomplayer, the image quality is better than in window media player classic. So I guess: What i feel about image will depent on what software we used to play and what's resolution, what's kind of screen we use to play. The screen of my laptop has maximum resolution: 1024 x 768. So I think I can't get the bigest result with this screen, and that's why I feel grany in video.
Sorry, My english is not good. Hope you can understand. :)

Back