After 4 yrs, wondering if dashcam has been worth the cost

woorich

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a VicoVation TF2+ 4 years ago and have been using it continuously ever since. In that period, there have only been a couple of times that I really would have liked to have been able to review what had happened in minor collisions ("minor" meaning no damage to either vehicle in one case, and paint scrape damage to one vehicle in the other), to see who had actually been at fault.

In both cases, when I went to review the recordings, the file sizes were unsually small and there was nothing viewable in the files. I assume this was because right after the incidents, the instinctive reaction was to stop the car as soon as possible and shut down the engine, which resulted in the electrical power to the dashcam being abruptly shut off before the files had been properly finalized.

In both cases, the dashcam subsequently continued to make multiple normal files on those same days after the engine had been started back up, so there had been no actual damage to the camera. It seems that the dashcam had just been interrupted too soon for it to be able to save the files.

Given this experience, I am left wondering whether this particular design of dashcam, at least the way it is installed with the power coming from the cigarette lighter outlet, which loses power as soon as the engine is shut off, was worth the purchase cost. I don't really use the dashcam for recording scenic drives (although I do have a few of those recordings). I pretty much only use it for peace of mind in the event of a collision. Yet when those fortunately very rare situations occurred, it turned out that it was useless.

It could be argued that this problem was the result of user error (should have left the engine running long enough for the files to be finalized and properly saved), but given the frame of mind that most users will reasonably be expected to be in when similar situations arise, a better design would take into consideration that for the device to be useful it would need large enough capacitors to be able to write files safely/reliably even after the power abruptly goes out.

that's not user error. the device is definitely faulty. the camera's built-in battery or capacitor should have ensured that the last file was finalized.

it's a good habit to periodically make sure the camera and card are in working order. I know I'm probably guilty of not doing this enough but I pop out the card every once in a while when I see something interesting while driving.

Indeed you do need to keep up to date.
Today by chance i just found out that the time/date on my B1W cabin camera have reset itself, but it is recording alright just the time stamp are now 2015

Its been a couple of months since i last looked at it.

If you take a look at the memory card weekly that would be fine, but that often should not really be needed with a good camera.
BUT ! no dashcam are set and forget, and no memory card live forever or can fall victim to sudden suicide even though it is pretty new.

I do think i have a memory card thats 4 years old and still in service, but i do think thats pushing it even with the little driving i do ( assume 1 hour daily on average )

just the time stamp are now 2015

Since the cam is probably over-writing the oldest files based on the date stamp, you might want to mark that SD card as suspect-- it's probably been overwriting the same one segment on the card over and over and over again ever since the cam reset itself. That happened to me once (the cam had a problem with the RTC battery). That card works OK for low bitrate applications, but now it runs into faults with the high data rates that the A119s can push.

Since the cam is probably over-writing the oldest files based on the date stamp, you might want to mark that SD card as suspect-- it's probably been overwriting the same one segment on the card over and over and over again ever since the cam reset itself. That happened to me once (the cam had a problem with the RTC battery). That card works OK for low bitrate applications, but now it runs into faults with the high data rates that the A119s can push.
After I started this thread and reformatted the card, I began seeing errors on the display. There is a red triangle with an exclamation in the middle displayed at the lower right corner that won't go away, and the red battery-shaped indicator at the upper left also stays illuminated (unless I go into the menu options to change settings).

I replaced the SD card with a new one. No difference.

I guess it is time to read the manual to see what a "a red triangle with an exclamation in the middle" means.

Could be the battery has had it. A bad battery will not save the last file and can draw too much current attempting to charge which can cause other odd malfunctions too. Vico is usually decent stuff, but no matter which cam, if it can't be relied on it is junk. No cam lasts forever either, so after 4 years it might be worth getting something newer and gifting or selling the old one. Or use it as a rear cam.

Phil

I guess it is time to read the manual to see what a "a red triangle with an exclamation in the middle" means.
[post from 2014: ]
Bought the Vico TF2+ on US eBay from someone named dashcamdepots for $220 including 2-3 day shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171289582385

It seems the cam works as expected, as far as I can tell from using it for a couple of days.

The cam I received, however, seems to have been intended primarily for a Chinese market, as the information on the box was mostly in Chinese and all the printed materials within the box were in Chinese. The seller included a note in the box that explained that there is a way to set the menu options to display in English. After fiddling with the cam for a couple of minutes, I was able to reset the menu options to English.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/tf2-where-to-find.4746/#post-58603

I hope that post was written as just a bit of gentle ribbing. I had already checked the little info I had before bothering to post anything here. I thought someone here might know what it means.

The English-language instruction pamphlet I downloaded from the internet when I purchased the cam doesn't seem to explain what this particular configuration of signs means. It only mentions that a red triangle with an exclamation point will appear when the user activates the emergency save feature to protect a recording form erasure. That process is not supposed to last more than about 3 minutes. There is no mention of the red icon resembling a battery in the upper left corner in this situation.

Could be the battery has had it. A bad battery will not save the last file and can draw too much current attempting to charge which can cause other odd malfunctions too. Vico is usually decent stuff, but no matter which cam, if it can't be relied on it is junk. No cam lasts forever either, so after 4 years it might be worth getting something newer and gifting or selling the old one. Or use it as a rear cam.

Phil
Yeah, it seems something in it failed. Can't sell it or gift it because it's apparently no longer working properly.

Looking for a replacement.

Back