After two weeks of ownership....it has to go

BTBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 522GW
Having purchased the Nextbase 522GW dash cam from Halfords just a couple of weeks ago, thats it, I've given up with it now.

While the principle of the is good, the execution is so rubbish and so unreliable, it has to go! Excluding the rubbish interface with Alexa and also Bluetooth, on three separate occasions now while we have been out, the camera has froze and refused to do anything? The only way to resolve it is to remove the SD card and hold down the on/off button till it clears itself.

As for Alexa, the burning question has to be why, what is there to gain from having it? By the time you have asked it to do something, it would be quicker just to tap the screen?? Plus, I don't know how much Ive spent configuring it and resetting it only to have it not work the next day......utter and complete rubbish!

Now the Bluetooth and the SOS function, again, great idea in principle. But Ive lost count how many time when we have been out the alarm sounds and the red screen comes displays, "unsupported area". The odd thing with this, I can drive down a road to work a dozen times to and from work, then one day sit decides its an "unsupported area"?? Surely this itself is a safety hazard as the first thing you do is look at the screen, then the second thing you do is reach up and tap the clear button, which means taking your eyes of the road for a second or two. Even worse when the camera is mounted behind the rear view mirror!

I accept that yes you can not have these functions switched on, but why buy the device if you then turn them off? If you advertise something and you have design features to make it more desirable to buy, then those features should work.

So today its being returned and Im now thinking about replacing it with a Garmin 66W. Looking at the section on this fourm, there are not any negative comments about it, unlike this unit.

Well you should steer away from smart cameras, just get one that do good video, that is what dashcams are for, the rest at least in my book are just BS.

As for Alexa, the burning question has to be why, what is there to gain from having it? By the time you have asked it to do something, it would be quicker just to tap the screen?? Plus, I don't know how much Ive spent configuring it and resetting it only to have it not work the next day......utter and complete rubbish!
Now the Bluetooth and the SOS function, again, great idea in principle. But Ive lost count how many time when we have been out the alarm sounds and the red screen comes displays, "unsupported area". The odd thing with this, I can drive down a road to work a dozen times to and from work, then one day sit decides its an "unsupported area"?? Surely this itself is a safety hazard as the first thing you do is look at the screen, then the second thing you do is reach up and tap the clear button, which means taking your eyes of the road for a second or two. Even worse when the camera is mounted behind the rear view mirror!
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your 522GW.

What SD card are you using?

What Firmware is the 522GW on? This can be checked in the settings- setup- system info.

In regards to Alexa, the aim is to provide hands free interaction that wouldn't require your eyes to leave the road, or your hands to leave the steering wheel. As it's illegal to use any electronic device whilst driving, we aim to provide usage of the normal Alexa features, but without endangering lives.

Regarding ESOS, the GPS reception error you've been suffering is not normal. Please could I have the serial number from the bottom of the Dash Cam? It's on a black sticker.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

The SD card was supplied by Halfords when they fitted the unit as a complete package, its a Nextbase 64GB SD card, and I can confirm that it has the latest firmware installed, at least according to the app it is.

The serial number I dont have to hand, but I registered the unit against my name/email address when I first purchased it, so I don't know if you can track it from that? I've just been reading other reviews on the Currys website, and its seems that I'm not alone with my opinions about the Alexa app. As I said in my first post, the principle is there, shame that it doesn't seem to be 100% reliable.

Most things,,,,,,, okay some, not apple in brand but tied to their products seem to have issues to some degree, either from the get go, or a IOS update.
The same are the case with android products though to me it seem a bit less.
Thats why i advise against the smart cameras, as really it is not something you really need to be there for the camera to do its job.
Many dashcams also promote adas - ldws - cloud and what not, but it is rare those features work and most turn them off after a while or plain don't use them at all.

Still i also understand the people whos sole digital interface are their phone, not least since so many "smart" things working fine or troublesome are aimed at those people and their pocket devise.
I like smart too,,,,,, in toys, but i will absolutely not have it in things i use daily, so no smart thermostats here, no siri - alexa or google assistant cuz i can turn on the heat just fine myself on the dumb thermostats and h have fingers to operate other things.

IF i was without hands or arms, i would be all over siri - alexa ASO, but as i am not i find then utterly useless and stupid.

It is barely i accept ABS brakes in my car and electric windows ASO, if i could buy a cheaper car without those things i would for sure, it might not be much of the car price, but still.
And when my dear old mother die, i will again be without a phone in my pocket, cuz really i have no use for it personally, though i do see that society do its very best to force that on me, which are okay if they pay for the phone.
I also only do cash, i have a card but only use it for online shopping, i can not use it in the stores as i have no idea what the pin are, and also i don't want to use it in stores.

BUT ! i know i am a oddball,,,,, or so it seem to me the way people react to me, i even been accused of being a tin foil hat wearing technophobe,,,,,, which are far from the truth, just some forms of popular tech i find less attractive.

Regarding ESOS, the GPS reception error you've been suffering is not normal. Please could I have the serial number from the bottom of the Dash Cam? It's on a black sticker.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi Millie,

The serial number is 193914308

Having purchased the Nextbase 522GW dash cam from Halfords just a couple of weeks ago, thats it, I've given up with it now.

While the principle of the is good, the execution is so rubbish and so unreliable, it has to go! Excluding the rubbish interface with Alexa and also Bluetooth, on three separate occasions now while we have been out, the camera has froze and refused to do anything? The only way to resolve it is to remove the SD card and hold down the on/off button till it clears itself.

Hi.

Thanks for providing your serial number, the 'unsupported area' issue you were facing has now been fixed. Thank you for your patience.

Regarding the 522GW freezing, please update your Dash Cam to R19.1 Firmware. This will resolve any freezing issues you're experiencing.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B 522GW 5
Back