Airplane Testing Vico-WF1, Hello from 4500ft! (Cessna 150)

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
Hello from 4500 feet. I'm testing the WF1 from my friends Cessna 150 today. (Flying as I write this). The suction cup mount is holding strong at the top of windshield where it curves up and flattens out.

I'll post videos later tonight.
pfnkVyal.jpg

Yo3eRuql.jpg

jryyclSl.jpg

We had a wonderful time flying today. Things didn't quite record the way I planned unfortunately. (not all was lost, but I'll explain)

Issue #1)
It turns out, the cigarette lighter socket on the Cessna 150 is pretty old I didn't realize it was a bit finicky. Before we even took off, the camera power got disconnected until right before our first landing. I didn't notice since I have the LED set to mute(dim) and voice prompts are off. I was too busy learning things as a pilot in training, and was recording secondary video via my pocket super zoom Panasonic DMC0ZS-30. That means I actually missed the whole take off, and some of the most scenic part of today's flight. (whoops)

You'll even see in the photos I posted, the LED is totally off, and the cigarette lighter is dark. (should have a small red LED glowing)

This was a learning lesson, I'll be sure to turn voice prompts back on (and at full volume) before my next flight.
I've also learned (by trial and error) the sweet spot and where to rotate things to stay totally solid.

Issue #2)
So I'm not done with the problem report. It's a mystery why the WF1 totally missed the landing at Colombia Airport.
http://www.flyincalifornia.com/flyin/O22.php
(Sierra Nevada foothills 100 miles or so east of the San Francisco Bay)
If you look at my DMC-ZS30 Hand Held supplemental videos, you'll see the LED is clearly glowing (meaning I thought it was recording) Look at 27m00s (pending upload)
I'm thinking maybe the iPad used for Navigation is pulling too many amps and maybe the WF1 wasn't happy? (dual USB Cigarette 20w adapter) I'm going to try and calculate it all about after I find my good multi-meter.

I was planning on practicing my MultiCam & picture in picture editing, but since I'm missing a bunch of clips I'll save it for next time.

Here are a few raw clips for now. :)

WF1 Videos:

DMC-ZS30 Hand Held supplemental videos. (quickly joined together into one long RAW clip)
(placeholder)~~~~~>
STILL PROCESSING, WILL INSERT VIDEO HERE TOMORROW WHEN IT'S DONE UPLOADING
<~~~~~(placeholder)

I'll try another flight recording soon and hopefully it will be a Bay Tour (Coastal/Ocean cliffs flight and pass over the golden gate & city etc).

I have to say the low light Night WDR of the WF1 is not as spectacular as the other DashCam clips I've seen out there. (see night recordings at the end of my trip)

So again, so much for the fancy Picture in Picture stuff I planned on doing today. Next time!
(I'll keep this thread going with my Plane adventures via WF1)

Last edited:
jryyclSl.jpg

We had a wonderful time flying today. Things didn't quite record the way I planned unfortunately. (not all was lost, but I'll explain)

Issue #1)
It turns out, the cigarette lighter socket on the Cessna 150 is pretty old I didn't realize it was a bit finicky. Before we even took off, the camera power got disconnected until right before our first landing. I didn't notice since I have the LED set to mute(dim) and voice prompts are off. I was too busy learning things as a pilot in training, and was recording secondary video via my pocket super zoom Panasonic DMC0ZS-30. That means I actually missed the whole take off, and some of the most scenic part of today's flight. (whoops)

You'll even see in the photos I posted, the LED is totally off, and the cigarette lighter is dark. (should have a small red LED glowing)

This was a learning lesson, I'll be sure to turn voice prompts back on (and at full volume) before my next flight.
I've also learned (by trial and error) the sweet spot and where to rotate things to stay totally solid.

Issue #2)
So I'm not done with the problem report. It's a mystery why the WF1 totally missed the landing at Colombia Airport.
http://www.flyincalifornia.com/flyin/O22.php
(Sierra Nevada foothills 100 miles or so east of the San Francisco Bay)
If you look at my DMC-ZS30 Hand Held supplemental videos, you'll see the LED is clearly glowing (meaning I thought it was recording) Look at XXmXXs (pending upload)
I'm thinking maybe the iPad used for Navigation is pulling too many amps and maybe the WF1 wasn't happy? (dual USB Cigarette 20w adapter) I'm going to try and calculate it all about after I find my good multi-meter.

I was planning on practicing my MultiCam & picture in picture editing, but since I'm missing a bunch of clips I'll save it for next time.

Here are a few raw clips for now. :)

WF1 Videos:

DMC-ZS30 Hand Held supplemental videos. (quickly joined together into one long RAW clip)
(placeholder)~~~~~>
STILL PROCESSING, WILL INSERT VIDEO HERE TOMORROW WHEN IT'S DONE UPLOADING
<~~~~~(placeholder)

I'll try another flight recording soon and hopefully it will be a Bay Tour (Coastal/Ocean cliffs flight and pass over the golden gate & city etc).

I have to say the low light Night WDR of the WF1 is not as spectacular as the other DashCam clips I've seen out there. (see night recordings at the end of my trip)

So again, so much for the fancy Picture in Picture stuff I planned on doing today. Next time!
(I'll keep this thread going with my Plane adventures via WF1)
A Cessna 150 is a good aircraft to take flying lessons in, and easy to transition to larger aircraft (172, 210, etc), after you obtain your private pilots rating. Enjoyed the video of the night landing. :cool:

Last edited:
I'll be sure to turn voice prompts back on (and at full volume) before my next flight.
I meant to post but can't remember if i did. One time while using mine it had claimed my card was full, stopped recording and, powered down. I would not have even noticed if it was not for my voice prompts. I booted it back up and everything seems okay now. I'm not sure why it did that and did not loop record.

Loved the videos. Your night time footage looks as dark as mine. I've been playing with some settings here and there when i can get a hold of my brothers iPod really hoping i can get it to look as good as my TF2.
Regardless
thanks for such cool videos. I have read about different planes but never had the chance to be in one and seeing such beautiful footage like this is the next best thing. Good luck with all your training as well.

Slightly off topic. Is that your Mustang too? i seen it in the garage in one of your other videos looks bad ass.

Thanks, it's fun mixing all of your hobbies together at the same time! :)
The night recordings are borderline WDR. (not impressed, but good enough for now)
In my opinion WF1's WiFi is pretty much a "novelty" at this point until A7L-A units come out that finally let us stream at the same time it's recording instead of being forced to stop. I'm happy enough for now until the next gen WiFi dashcam comes out.

Yes that's my roommates Mustang Boss really throws you back in your seat. He plans on modifying it to be 1000 HP next year = ) I'll add some Mustang WF1 recordings soon too.
The plane on the other hand is only 100HP !

Last edited:
Here's from today. (more are uploading) The wind shield was pretty dirty. I left the VicoTag on this time.

Regular Speed

16x Speed

Last edited:
Love the skyline in the last video at about 6:30.
If you really want to get to your destination play the 16x video at 2 in the YouTube settings next to quality.
Hope training is going well.

Love the skyline in the last video at about 6:30.
If you really want to get to your destination play the 16x video at 2 in the YouTube settings next to quality.
Hope training is going well.

Cool I forgot that youtube added the x2 speed watching option now. (good to know) You can do slow motion as well.

I'm going to try using another method/editing app to x16 Speed up future videos. Registrator Viewer doesn't sync the Audio properly.
(last few minutes are missing, and RPM's are loud when we are gliding etc)

Last edited:
I contacted Vadim from RegistratorViewer about the video/audio sync issue. He fixed it in the latest Beta 5.4 so the Audio and Video matches up from start to finish.
http://download.registratorviewer.com/download/RegistratorViewerB.exe
He also reminded me I should be using 15x (keyfraime) and not 16x. After all the WF1 is a 30FPS camera and 15 is a multiple of 3o!

Ok more fun video time!

We flew the Cessna all the way from San Francisco to San Diego this past weekend. We were to going to rent a bigger plane once we got to San Diego but the one we wanted wasn't available so we pressed on. We flew from San Diego to Las Vegas for the SEMA car show as well. We'll NEVER fly this tiny plane over the Nevada mountains again. Let's just say it was pretty stressful at times. 100HP engine = 50HP at 7500ft. The climb rate is horrible on this puddle jumper of a plane. (not to mention HEAVY 3 way mountain wind chop) Wait until you see some of these crazy take offs and landings with did with huge wind gusts rolling over the hills. (see Agua Dulce) Good thing my friend has mad piloting skills.

Some of these videos are very large, and are not done uploading/processing yet. (several hours remaining) I wanted to post all the links right way so here you go!

You might notice the videos look slightly better because I got a new WF1! The one I was using before was an older Beta model. The newest cam has the on screen video tag JazJon

I have more secondary video footage from my handheld as well. I'm going to practice my MultiCam skills. Watch the following thread for more updates if you're interested.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...or-12-tutorial-wf1-front-mini-0801-back.2841/

Last edited by a moderator:
I envy you going to SEMA, have done that show before and it's a great show for anyone even mildly interested in cars, I don't however envy you having to flow over those mountains in that crop duster :D

Back