AITA for driving with a dashcam without informing my passengers?

rega22

Reaction score
Country
India
I transport my younger sister and her friends to school, and in case of an emergency, I have a dashcam in my car. I don't tell anyone I have it, and it isn't visible.

Anyway, the old smartphone I keep in my car for GPS went missing, and when I checked the dashcam footage, it turns out it was taken by one of my sister's friends.

When I approached the child's parents, they were furious with me for filming and audio recording their child every day without their permission.

Is it a pain to have a dashcam?
https://router-net.com/pt

Last edited:
Sadly the way parents are going. Storming into schools when their 'little darlings' get punished for misbehaving.

Seems like it should be treated as a useful educational lesson - there are cameras everywhere these days, people need to behave. No need to make a fuss about it, just ask for it back / return it, lesson learned.

if they have an issue with your recordings the simple solution is for their daughter to find alternate transport in future

How you do things affects the outcome. I would have simply said without emotion "I have proof, and I'd like your child to be here when I show that to you so that you can teach them to do better". They couldn't have any valid argument against doing that, and the child and parents would have no choice afterward but to face the truth. It might get you the phone returned or compensation for it, and it would certainly help the child and the parents in the future.

If the parents are corrupt this may not work, and if the laws there prohibited your recording, then I'd make a copy of the video, editing or blanking out anything which could show who made it while leaving in the face of the child and the act of stealing. Then I'd send that to a friend who lived in a place where posting such things is legal, and have them post it in places where those in your neighborhood would be certain to see it. It wouldn't take long for everyone to be lined up against the parents and the child, bringing them more pain than would have happened had they dealt with this correctly.

Anger and confrontation only brings you the same in return. Be subversive and let the person who has done wrong punish themselves through their own acts. That is always the best win.

Phil

AYTA? No, in my opinion.

Is it illegal? Don't know what the law is in India.

If it's not illegal, and you showed the parents the video and they did nothing, report the theft to the police and let the little angel and her parents deal with the consequences as well as find her own way to school from now on.

I'd probably share the video with her entire extended family as well, but I AM an a-hole that way...

Back