AKASO V50 Native 4K/30fps plus remote, unboxing , using, with test clips

bobflyman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My latest camera review, the new native 4K V50 from Akaso. Usual range of accessories, but includes a bluetooth remote. Video quality was good. Sharp, good colour. Unusually for a budget camera EIS (gyrostablisation) works in 4k, (though I prefer 1080 60 fps for action sports.) Test clips , include motorbiking and around town. EIS test. Jump to 18m 46s if you don't want to hear me droning on about accessories and using the camera!
Buying details here. Around the £100 mark.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B077YWFCM2

I have used a lot of Akzo Nobel paint,,, in powder state.

Many tonnes of it, probably why my elbow on my right arm are somewhat problematic :)

sorry but what specific Panasonic sensor does this use? seeing a lot of these so-called Native 4K cameras in the last few months, and they appear to be using the Panasonic MN34112 - which by my knowledge is still just interpolated 4K. i may be wrong in my guessings, but humour me..

I'm sorry but I haven't been able to find any info about sensors or chips. But I doubt the company could claim native 4K if it was in fact interpolated?

I know, but not many advertise themselves as native 4K. And the average punter doesn't know the difference , the whole 4K thing is just an advertising gimmick as far as I'm concerned anyway. I only know one person with a 4K TV and very few that can edit 4K.

Last edited:
I know, but not many advertise themselves as native 4K. And the average punter doesn't know the difference , the whole 4K thing is just an advertising gimmick as far as I'm concerned anyway. I only know one person with a 4K TV and very few that can edit 4K.
Trends for TV sales indicate otherwise. I edit 4K video at times in Premiere Pro. But you are right the majority of the action camera market customers wouldn't know the difference.

I'm sorry but I haven't been able to find any info about sensors or chips. But I doubt the company could claim native 4K if it was in fact interpolated?
The chipset is iCatch V50M SoC and the sensor is Panasonic 34112 14MP (not sure about 20MP claim)
The iCatch V50M is capable of 4Kp30 with Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) LINK HERE for specs so true 4K.
I have used the ThiEYE E7 (same chipset) and vids are 4KP30 (3840 x 2160) at 60MB/sec (59,909kbps)

Will AKASO V50 firmware work on ThiEye E7?

E7 has yet to enable 265 codec and I am curious how the firmware compares. The ThiEye T5 EDGE software definitely improved E7 performance...

Will AKASO V50 firmware work on ThiEye E7?

E7 has yet to enable 265 codec and I am curious how the firmware compares. The ThiEye T5 EDGE software definitely improved E7 performance...
Have E7 and Vikcam V50 (which has H265 and BT). E7 seems way behind and thiEYE changed UI to EDGE format on 1st update. Not tried EDGE f/w though.

Where do you get Akaso V50 f/w upgrades? Any links please. Like the original E7 and Vikcam UI etc. would like to try Akaso. Should work. Can edit "maker name" back to E7 in f/w file if you want to show on your file data (if it changes that is?)

I heard that the new AKASO v50 Pro was released. What are its differences?

I heard that the new AKASO v50 Pro was released. What are its differences?
Chipset/sensor identical. Only (well main) difference is the AKASO V50 PRO has a touch screen. Some menu options are slightly different I heard too.

Chipset/sensor identical. Only (well main) difference is the AKASO V50 PRO has a touch screen. Some menu options are slightly different I heard too.

I understood you
But while I was looking for information on this issue, I searched all YouTube and found AKASO Brave 5 -

Its quality in the 4K is a little disappointing, but here: https://findthedecision.com/best-gopro-alternatives/ I found out that it is written that the quality of recording video in 4K is not so important and in general, in low-end cameras it is unlikely to be such a quality one.

Is it possible to find a cheap camera with quality like that of GoPro?

Andrew it's not possible to replicate Hero 6 with any cheaper cameras. Yi 4k+ probably comes closest with capability and scripting possibilities. I have not seen any camera that can do 1080P @ 240 FPS.

My recent favorite has been ThiEye E7 with ThiEye Edge firmware which the company released. I am reasonably sure these cameras are the same in just about every way. You get stabilized 4k@30fps at 60mbps bitrate. It is a very solid camera. I was lucky to grab it at 76$ at end of March sale on Gearbest. I have used it during day time as dashcam and even with vibration due to stupidity on my part by not mounting it correctly, it is still damn near amazing at picking up plates during the day near me. I think with a 8-12mm lens and properly adjusted it could be great.

There's also Explorer K from Ele (~90$) which is 4k@30 fps stabilized and it has the 265codec however that action camera has been total garbage in my use. It got super hot with even 5-10 minutes of continuous use and the image became blurry. When I took the camera apart it was due to no heatsink included in the camera. I played around with my own copper heatsinks(designed for Rasberry Pi) and it helped with heat dissipation but the image was still fairly blurry. I ended up accidentally breaking off charging port on this camera while handling it in its disassembled form.

I am now playing around with GitUp F1 which seems pretty good. However it does not have 4k@30fps stabilized however it has one of the highest bitrates i have seen short of Yi 4k+. Even 1080P@60fps was high 54mbps. 4k@30fps is 72mbps.

Leo thanks for the detailed answer

It's a pity that ThiEye E7 now already costs $ 114, not $ 76 :cry:
But I think that all the same I'll take it

This camera looks great, thanks for the review. what does the GoPro Hero 6 have thats better then this cam for the extra $300 price?

This camera looks great, thanks for the review. what does the GoPro Hero 6 have thats better then this cam for the extra $300 price?

1080P@240fps

Better at overall quality at 4k@60/30fps

Touch Screen

I am sure there are other things too..

E7 is probably the best 4k camera for under 100$.

Back