Akenori NX01 - New Wedge Shaped Camera

AndrewL

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Akenori messaged me a few days ago and I found the design interesting. Thought I would share.

Specs:
Resolution: 1080P @ 30FPS
Sensor: SONY EXMOR IMX222LQJ
Processor: AMBARELLA IONE i180 624-FBGA
Battery: 220mAH LiPO
WiFi: Qualcomm Atheros AR6003

Hong Kong based company. Too bad it uses lithium-polymer batteries as it looks to be the most "OEM" like camera on the market. I wonder how well it will stick on curved windshields.

The processor according to the news release is more fully featured with enough power to run android apps.

Link: http://www.akenori.com/

slider-pic-02.jpg

slider-pic-03.jpg

hotkeys.png

Wow, interesting design. Definitely will look OEM installed. Shame about the battery. Are they going to send you a unit to review?

The 2015 Corvette has an integrated dash cam performance data recorder with basically that same design. An integrated enclosed baffle like that is really the ideal design solution for a dash cam that will completely eliminate any extraneous reflections. It looks like an interesting camera but it really is too bad it doesn't have a super-cap as the design is likely to absorb and retain a lot of heat.

This is how the 2015 Corvette's dash cam is incorporated into the headliner console.
PDRcamSR.jpg

I have been thinking on killing dashboard reflections like that, but it always came down to me thinking it would take up too much real estate on the windscreen.
But it actually don't look so bad judging by the pictures.

The size of the baffle depends entirely on the FOV of the lens, of course. The Akenori NX01 measures 100.4 x 76.1 x 37.8mm which isn't too bad at all. The overall width is similar to a G1w-H.

I did a little experimenting one time to see if it was practical to make a similar DIY baffle like this and concluded that it would be too big and not very stealthy. This camera might be similar in some ways but it looks like an OEM sensor or something and would probably blend in much better and therefore may not be obvious that it is a dash cam.

I notice that on the web site they don't mention the FOV of the lens in this camera which is a bit unusual. Maybe the coverage is very narrow?

Edit: Viewing the video on the web site reveals that the coverage is indeed fairly narrow but not too bad. Some may prefer it. What jumps out at me is that the camera is aimed way too high and so far there is nothing to indicate whether the aim is user adjustable. IQ looks excellent, even on low rez YouTube.

Last edited:
It looks like lens vertical angle can be adjusted by the pivoting knob at the back.
Looking at the 1st picture side edges of the housing where camera is hidden can tell horizontal FOV can not be more than about 90-100 degree.

I would love to get something that works.
I have a flexmedia v737w but it stopped responding one day and when I connect to it via my PC it reads as FAIL.
Wondering if there is an upgrade link or way of diagnosing the problem...
Does anyone know anything about the Flexmedia? the only website I can google is a marketing site.
I am not very tech savvy and would hate to throw this away if its something simple to fix.

@niko That knob on the back i think is for locking the camera onto the mount on the windscreen, i assume the mount have 2 posts that come up thru those 2 holes at the back.

i180 and IMX222 seem like old stuff to me.

I would love to get something that works.
I have a flexmedia v737w but it stopped responding one day and when I connect to it via my PC it reads as FAIL.
Wondering if there is an upgrade link or way of diagnosing the problem...
Does anyone know anything about the Flexmedia? the only website I can google is a marketing site.
I am not very tech savvy and would hate to throw this away if its something simple to fix.

This thread is for Akenori NZ01 dashcamera.
Because there are no Flexmedia dedicated sub-forum, you can open new thread with title of Flexmedia W737W in General Dashcamera section and ask all related questions there, maybe someone has same model and be able to help you out.

It looks like lens vertical angle can be adjusted by the pivoting knob at the back.
Looking at the 1st picture side edges of the housing where camera is hidden can tell horizontal FOV can not be more than about 90-100 degree.

I was thinking the same thing about that knob but it's curious that they don't mention that on the web site where they point out the interface features and controls. Coupled with the fact that they show a video with the camera aimed so high makes one wonder.

@niko That knob on the back i think is for locking the camera onto the mount on the windscreen, i assume the mount have 2 posts that come up thru those 2 holes at the back.

i180 and IMX222 seem like old stuff to me.

If I look at 1st picture then lens are sitting inside ball-type housing which can be moved 360 degree, so I guess the "bolt" on the back side is to adjust lens angle up-down-left-right and with bolt you just tighten after desired lens position is chosen.

It occurs to me that another issue with this camera is that on some cars it might not be in the area that is covered by the windshield wipers. I would want to mount this camera as high on the windshield as possible so that it looks OEM.

If I look at 1st picture then lens are sitting inside ball-type housing which can be moved 360 degree, so I guess the "bolt" on the back side is to adjust lens angle up-down-left-right and with bolt you just tighten after desired lens position is chosen.

It does look like that, I agree but it is odd that they don't say. If it is adjustable, the question would be how much adjustment is available without getting the baffle in the FOV?

I agree niko, but if you can move the lens around it will have to be a really narrow FOV lens as you otherwise get the sides in view pretty quick.

@AndrewL you may change title from NZ01 to NX01 model number. Probably "z" was just typo ( those letters are close to each other on keyboard )

I think the optimal with this camera design is a windscreen like mine, that mean no sensor housing at all on it, so you can install this camera dead center.

I really think that knob is for mounting, i cant see anything else in that regard.

It does look like that, I agree but it is odd that they don't say. If it is adjustable, the question would be how much adjustment is available without getting the baffle in the FOV?

I think its all depends on the angle of windshield you will be mounting it.
It looks like demo video was shot from vehicle with low windshield angle, hence the aim of lens is in the sky.

I think the optimal with this camera design is a windscreen like mine, that mean no sensor housing at all on it, so you can install this camera dead center.

I really think that knob is for mounting, i cant see anything else in that regard.

"Ball-type" housing shows signs of lens moving to sides and up and down. I think If lens would be fixed, then there is no point to have "ball-type" housing, but we have to wait till someone has sample in hand to confirm this.

akenori nz01.jpg

Yeah i am starting to think you are right niko, but i think it may only be up/down adjustable, side to side got to be minimal.

"Ball-type" housing shows signs of lens moving to sides and up and down. I think If lens would be fixed, then there is no point to have "ball-type" housing, but we have to wait till someone has sample in hand to confirm this.

View attachment 26302

That lens would need to have a very narrow angle of view to have the ability to adjust more than a few degrees.

Back