Alexa cant play to Spotify

Unless the Echo Auto is also a dashcam, you'd kind of being kicking yourself in the teeth as I assume you bought the camera for its cam functions first and Alexa second?

Well I can wait for echo auto and get a cheaper dashcam. I need both a dashcam and alexa since wife's car got no hands free and using Alexa at home so would have been nice having it in the car as well. But seems like on the nextbase it's very limited feature...

Your choice. :ROFLMAO:
That's a similar statement to "I don't want Alexa in my car so I wont be buying either".:devilish:
Can't you just use a voice assistant directly on her phone then and save even more money?

So no Spotify compatibility in the near future? I just bought this camera (still unopened) so wondering if I should just return it and wait for the Echo Auto to be released here in Canada.

Unfortunately it's completely out of our hands. We would love to, but it's not our decision, it's Amazon's. I'd recommend going into your Amazon settings and choosing Spotify as your preferred music stream, and contacting Amazon requesting Spotify for your Dash Cam. I'm sorry that I can not advise on a better solution.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Actually they'll probably do the same with echo auto since they're trying to make ppl get Amazon music rather than the competition. I'll contact them for more info...

Wondering if I can actually control Spotify using my home automation via Hassio. I'll need to test this out.

Last edited:
Well it's a workaround but it works. Here is my test video:

I can also say "Spotify Back" to go back a song. I can't search for a specific song. So far I've created the following commands:
  1. Next
  2. Back
  3. Play
  4. Stop
  5. My Playlist
It only works if Spotify is already open on my phone. This is due to the fact that HomeAssistant (my smarthome hub) doesn't see my phone as a device until Spotify is opened. So a workaround is using something like Android Auto to automatically open it (Android Auto can be set to automatically open when phone is connected to vehicles Bluetooth), but I need to test that.

Well it's a workaround but it works. Here is my test video:

I can also say "Spotify Back" to go back a song. I can't search for a specific song. So far I've created the following commands:
  1. Next
  2. Back
  3. Play
  4. Stop
  5. My Playlist
It only works if Spotify is already open on my phone. This is due to the fact that HomeAssistant (my smarthome hub) doesn't see my phone as a device until Spotify is opened. So a workaround is using something like Android Auto to automatically open it (Android Auto can be set to automatically open when phone is connected to vehicles Bluetooth), but I need to test that.

Great work around! I'd love to know more if you manage to get this to fully work! Our Tester's have been trying, but keep on getting blocked. Let me know how you get one :)

Just an update, I ended up returning this camera for several reasons.

Main reason is I felt insecure having a dashcam that looks like a bulky camera in my car. There was a high chance it would attract thieves in the public parking lot where I park every morning to take the train. Taking it off every single time is a major PITA and you lose the parking mode feature. Second, it runs on battery not capacitor. Third, it's not even 4K yet priced in that range. Forth, Alexa is very limited and IMO not there yet for usage in the car industry. I switched to Android Auto with Google assistant and had a far greater success in an effortless manner in comparison to Alexa.

Bought a 522GW and have to say it wasn't very inspiring trying to set-up, didnt feel like a premium device at a software level, but after a lot of messing with resetting and bluetooth I'm coming round to liking it.

Two biggie issues for me.

1. You can't pair (I dont mean connect) more than one phone

2. My Alexa and echos are setup to play Spotify, this camera cant control/play spotify. I understand this is probably an Alexa app issue as their app sees the device as an accessory not an "amazon device"

If I had known this I may have just got a 322GW for £20-£30 less and alexa not playing spotify, but polarised filter would have probably swung me back to 522GW
  1. Bluetooth Pairing: It appears that you're referring to limitations in Bluetooth pairing for your dashcam. If the device allows only one phone to be paired at a time, it could be due to hardware or software constraints. Some devices are designed this way to ensure seamless connection and operation. While it might be frustrating, this is a common limitation in many devices that use Bluetooth connectivity.
  2. Alexa Integration and Spotify: The integration of voice assistants like Alexa into devices can sometimes come with limitations, especially when it comes to controlling third-party apps like Spotify. If the Alexa app on the dashcam is unable to control or play Spotify, this could indeed be an issue with the integration of the two platforms. As you mentioned, it might be related to how the Alexa app recognizes the dashcam as an accessory rather than a full-fledged Amazon device.
It's important to remember that device capabilities and integrations can be complex due to various factors, including software compatibility, platform restrictions, and licensing agreements. Manufacturers continuously work to improve and expand features, so it's possible that future updates could address some of these limitations.

Back