ALL Dash Cams Have Distortion- "Bending Images"

synoptic12

Reaction score
Country
United States
In respect to dash cameras; in which we have been researching for about one year, we have not found one dash camera that perform as a camera. We have used Sony cameras upon dash boards to capture video (1080 HD), whereas the video is excellent. The main aspect which we have not heard, nor read, is that all "images' have significant bending, i.e. > buildings, light poles, and around corners, some distortion. Contingent upon the lens as being a wide angle, we have found that the larger the lens, more fish eye is noticeable. We have somewhat concluded that the best lens is at, or about 135 mm.

We would very much appreciate some feedback regarding the "bending images" which are highly relative in capturing good video, not sub-standard. This is mostly what we have been viewing the past year. Yes, there is some good clarity, but when motion comes in play, or freeze frame; 'everything is semi- blurred, or blurred. Naturally, there is constant motion while a vehicle is moving, so better technology should be employed. Again, the simple Sony camera, 30 mm, will outperform all dash cameras. More so, we notice no defects; such as 'bending images', no blur in motion, and a wide range of view, And this is without using zoom.

@synoptic12, could you please explain to us who you mean by "we" in your post? Could you also explain a bit further what exactly what you want to accomplish and understand with your query here regarding bending wide angle images or whatever?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I get it now. You are apparently a religious fanatic weirdo with some sort of bizarre twisted agenda. Not sure of the connection between Yahweh and dash cams but certainly we appreciate the novelty of it. Thanks so much.

Ambarella have a function in the firmware that can dewarp the image specific to the lens spec used, not too many using it as yet as it's still relatively new

The distorted view is a result of the lens type, that's just physics, a narrow lens wouldn't suffer this issue but then it also wouldn't make for a good dashcam solution, there are always compromises to be made

אלוהים מגיע כשאתה הכי פחות מצפה

Yes, apparently more religious dogma,......the Hebrew אלוהים מגיע כשאתה הכי פחות מצפה = God comes when you least expect. And this has what to do with dash cams and wide angle distortions?
My friend, this stuff is inappropriate here and ultimately won't get too far, I assure you.

Ambarella have a function in the firmware that can dewarp the image specific to the lens spec used, not too many using it as yet as it's still relatively new

The distorted view is a result of the lens type, that's just physics, a narrow lens wouldn't suffer this issue but then it also wouldn't make for a good dashcam solution, there are always compromises to be made

Thank you very much for the information, which could not be located in a year's time. If you have read the previous posts, you can recognize the answer we received. Actually, we are trying to develop video, whereas the frames can be adjoined in producing a movie. This may not be the specific purpose for a dash cam , but this is what we are seeking.

Let me ask you a question please. You seem to be most knowledgeable, more so than the many. Do you believe that there is a dash camera in the works that will incorporate the qualities of a camera / With video, such as Sony? Again, the main function of a dash cam is to capture the unforeseen, and to use the footage for a beneficial purpose.

For reference here is an example of a camera with a dewarp setting (with and without), the firmware was from another model and not actually tailored to the particular lens on this camera but it gives you an idea of what it does

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/my-conclusions-about-the-panaroma.5796/#post-68688

Short answer, I don't think anyone is working on anything that is going to be photo realistic as what looks the most natural doesn't offer the best results for this task, I think rather than trying to find a dashcam that offers professional quality results you're perhaps better off trying to find a professional camera that can function as a dashcam, you may have noticed that GoPro cameras are used quite extensively in professional circles and do have some of the basic functionality, loop record, auto start etc, the cameras that they use are not your standard GoPro though, they have been modified with higher quality lenses and in some cases custom firmware, the lenses are dearer than the camera though and in some cases you can't even buy the product, only rent it, that's the level you're getting to if you want prosumer results though

At the top end that looks like this

I don't think exactly what you want is out there now or even in development, it's too cost prohibitive to be commercially viable, at this stage at least, technology changes rapidly so what may not be feasible now may not always be that way

For reference here is an example of a camera with a dewarp setting (with and without), the firmware was from another model and not actually tailored to the particular lens on this camera but it gives you an idea of what it does

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/my-conclusions-about-the-panaroma.5796/#post-68688

Short answer, I don't think anyone is working on anything that is going to be photo realistic as what looks the most natural doesn't offer the best results for this task, I think rather than trying to find a dashcam that offers professional quality results you're perhaps better off trying to find a professional camera that can function as a dashcam, you may have noticed that GoPro cameras are used quite extensively in professional circles and do have some of the basic functionality, loop record, auto start etc, the cameras that they use are not your standard GoPro though, they have been modified with higher quality lenses and in some cases custom firmware, the lenses are dearer than the camera though and in some cases you can't even buy the product, only rent it, that's the level you're getting to if you want prosumer results though

At the top end that looks like this

I don't think exactly what you want is out there now or even in development, it's too cost prohibitive to be commercially viable, at this stage at least, technology changes rapidly so what may not be feasible now may not always be that way

Thank you very much for the valuable information. Irrespective of the facts you have stated, what would you recommend as a good dash cam, employing a Sony Exmor Cmos, preferably a digital Cmos; if available? By the way, would you believe that the Sony (R) Exmor shall be implemented in any dash cam? Looking for a stable component with good night video. Believe you may be the person that has the knowledge. Thank you again for your professional support.

Exmor sensors are generally only found in Korean cameras, they'll move to higher models as the price shifts down to more respectable levels, I know some are currently in development now, most are still using wider view lenses than what you'd like for your application, if you go to some of the Russian dashcam forums there are some users that have experimented with alternate lenses on some of the more popular cameras

Exmor sensors are generally only found in Korean cameras, they'll move to higher models as the price shifts down to more respectable levels, I know some are currently in development now, most are still using wider view lenses than what you'd like for your application, if you go to some of the Russian dashcam forums there are some users that have experimented with alternate lenses on some of the more popular cameras

In all honesty, we will not purchase from Russia, no offense. The Russian forums are a conglomerate of people with ideas that we do not agree with. Watched the video and noticed the lens employed was a 25 mm. This is the type of result we were seeking. However, this may be somewhat extreme, short of cinematography. A 30 mm lens comes very close to the GO-Pro. Tested a Sony DSC-W150 on the dash. When we assembled the frames to create video, the results were outstanding. As you have said, the cost factor would most likely inhibit the production of a dash cam with this potential.

Aside from the upper end lenses, which we have no intention of experimenting with, what would you recommend as a viable dash cam, capable of good video? Saw some of your posts, prior to this blog. We believe you were speaking of the 118. Anyways, the PowerUCC Panorama 2 employs a Sony CMOS, does it not? What is your take on the Panarama 2 vs. the FineVu 500HD; comparison wise? Debating upon purchasing one, or the other.

Very much appreciate the courtesy you have provided, and the knowledgeable assistance given. It is most difficult to obtain the information, whereas you have clearly pointed out some valuable context.

Wasn't meaning to buy from Russia, just meant you could find some useful info about different lenses

Panorama cameras work very well, the lens is probably too wide for what you want, the firmware is tuned for dashcam use and is not photo realistic so may not be ideal for you, it also has hard coded time date etc in the video which can't be turned off which may also be an issue for you

The Transcend camera might be worth a look, even a narrow lens Möbius might suit what you want, both do quite good video and are also quite cheap

Wasn't meaning to buy from Russia, just meant you could find some useful info about different lenses

Panorama cameras work very well, the lens is probably too wide for what you want, the firmware is tuned for dashcam use and is not photo realistic so may not be ideal for you, it also has hard coded time date etc in the video which can't be turned off which may also be an issue for you

The Transcend camera might be worth a look, even a narrow lens Möbius might suit what you want, both do quite good video and are also quite cheap

Know of both brands. the Mobius is very prone to overheating, actually melted. That is out. The Transcend has some quirks, just forgot what they were. The heat factor is a huge concern, especially when dealing with 'plastics'. The chipset on the Mobius looks cheap, and as for the Mobius, forget it. The circuit boards (atomized) are nearly impossible to repair. The race track circuitry is of very low quality. When one speaks of how well the boards are made, 'I' just laugh. Would estimate a board at about 32 cents. By the way, just noticed your avatar. Are you a manufacturer?

Yes I'm a manufacturer

Wasn't getting into build quality, just video results, ultimately what you want is not going to be cheap but some other options may go some way to giving you what you want

Yes I'm a manufacturer

Wasn't getting into build quality, just video results, ultimately what you want is not going to be cheap but some other options may go some way to giving you what you want

Thank you very much. Somewhat surprised that you referred the Mobius . One last question please. Have been researching the Vinsloo AVL650. Very difficult to acquire any information regarding the said piece. The technical specs look fairly well, and the video is as good as a dash cam can offer. Can you provide me with your analysis of this product. Again, I am thankful for the support you have provided; a change from "WE".

Mentioned the Mobius because it has a lot of end user adjustability in the setup to fine tune the results, from what you described so far it doesn't sound like you really want a traditional dashcam type product

Had to look up the Vinsloo, had never heard of it, seems they are just a trading company, the models on their site are all public models, the 650 is a knockoff of the HP camera from Taiwan, lots of small factories do these models, what's inside or where they source them from is anyone's guess

Know of both brands. the Mobius is very prone to overheating, actually melted. That is out. The Transcend has some quirks, just forgot what they were. The heat factor is a huge concern, especially when dealing with 'plastics'. The chipset on the Mobius looks cheap, and as for the Mobius, forget it. The circuit boards (atomized) are nearly impossible to repair. The race track circuitry is of very low quality. When one speaks of how well the boards are made, 'I' just laugh. Would estimate a board at about 32 cents. By the way, just noticed your avatar. Are you a manufacturer?
I was going to suggest the Mobius as well, since the A lens has very little, if any barrel distortion. Most dash cams as you noticed lean towards wide lenses. I will disagree with you on the heat issue, which never resulted into anything. I believe you can research this also on the RC group Mobius page which is very long and not find any heating problems.

Is loop recording important, mounting location or size swaying you from a full size camera?

Hello everybody ! Reading this forum day by day , I have observed that there are few dashcam potential "consumers'' which put the ,,nondistorted'' images/video in top preference . I am one of them - as synoptic 12 . It would be ideal to record the reality as it is , and dashcam present today on the market could fulfill both goals : witness of unpleasent event and memory of beautiful landscapes (with less or more compromise , because of optics ) . This thing doesn't mean an exaction ! How to install and manipulate an expensive proffesional camera when driving , in order to make for an ideal movie ?? As I said , few present dashcams could make this ! This is the reason that I refuse some of the best dashcam - Panorama , and others , because of its fisheye effect . Instead of it , I put about Transcend DrivePro ( I am waitig one ) , Mobius A lens ( I have one and is remarcable ) and maybe new arrival Innovv C3 (all with capacitors ! ). It would be G90 . So , to ask for a dashcam that could record the reality without MUCH distorsion is not such a out-of-the-way wish !

Back