All the files on micro SD card are write-protected!

ank88

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
When I connect the camera to the computer through the USB cable I cannot make any changes to the card because the videos show up as write protected.

How to disable this protection?

2 chances,
my aiptek camera will not let me delete files if i connect it to computer, i must use card reader.
Second reason is like jokiin says, when memorycard is dying it lets you copy files from it but will stop working otherwise for your security, i had one like that and there was no way to get it working again.

it didnt fail because the camera records on it just fine.
also the card is new (sandisk 32 gb)

i think the problem is with sjcam exposing it as write protected disk.
i can't make any changes from the pc, like copy files on the card, remove files, rename etc.
i can only read files from it.

i think the problem is with sjcam exposing it as write protected disk.
i can't make any changes from the pc, like copy files on the card, remove files, rename etc.
i can only read files from it.

if it's the camera controlling this then I would consider that to be a good thing, you shouldn't be renaming or editing files on the card anyway, that can break things quite easily, copy what you want off and work on the files locally, when you want to delete files format the card in the camera, your memory card will be a lot better for it

On my SJ4000 WiFi with firmware G20150408V02 (not the latest) I can protect a video recording by pressing the power button during record. A small key icon will appear at about the 10:00 o'clock position on the screen. Once I've protected a video it can't be un-protected. When you stop recording the key icon disappears. If you want to protect the next recording you must press the power button again after you start. Check your recording mode screen to see if the key icon is present. Unfortunately you can't turn protection off while recording: If you inadvertently press the power button while recording then pressing it again won't turn protection off.

I have no problems transferring files to my computer (Windows 7) including protected files. I can delete all files using the camera by going into the menu and choosing Format. Using Delete, even Delete All, will not erase protected files. I'm also able to delete all files using a card reader and my computer.

I'm not sure why you're having the problem you described and I don't know if the latest firmware works the same as my older version. You can find an online and PDF version of an SJ4000 manual here based on this older version firmware. The official SJCam manual might have the latest information.

I hope that helps. Cheers! :)

Nope, the whole disk is write protected.
I can make changes to it if I pull out the card and put it in a card reader, but I can't make any changes while the card is inside the camera.

On my SJ4000 WiFi with firmware G20150408V02 (not the latest) I can protect a video recording by pressing the power button during record. A small key icon will appear at about the 10:00 o'clock position on the screen. Once I've protected a video it can't be un-protected. When you stop recording the key icon disappears. If you want to protect the next recording you must press the power button again after you start. Check your recording mode screen to see if the key icon is present. Unfortunately you can't turn protection off while recording: If you inadvertently press the power button while recording then pressing it again won't turn protection off.

I have no problems transferring files to my computer (Windows 7) including protected files. I can delete all files using the camera by going into the menu and choosing Format. Using Delete, even Delete All, will not erase protected files. I'm also able to delete all files using a card reader and my computer.

he would be able to do everything you've just written here also, he's talking about connecting the camera to the computer in mass storage mode and trying to delete (not copy, that's read access) files or rename files straight off the camera (write access), something he shouldn't really do anyway

I'm not sure why you're having the problem you described and I don't know if the latest firmware works the same as my older version. You can find an online and PDF version of an SJ4000 manual here based on this older version firmware. The official SJCam manual might have the latest information.

I hope that helps. Cheers! :)
Can you please confirm that manual link? Thanks!

Link still isn't working.... are you referring to the SJCAM support manual or the one you wrote?
Here's the route I took to get to that link:

SJCam Official Website > click on Support at the top > new page, click on Official Support Platform box > new page, scroll down to Manuals and click on "NEW! The SJ7 Star Official Downloadable Manual Is Here!" > new page, scroll down to "SJ7 STAR OFFICIAL MANUAL 2017.pdf" and click.

Following all those steps takes me to this link:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshdesk.com/data/helpdesk/attachments/production/9032841828/original/SJ7 STAR OFFICIAL MANUAL 2017.pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJ2JSYZ7O3I4JO6DA/20170920/us-east-1/s3/aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20170920T164004Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=77eeb30d34863a614a5c491419ca8433acc73d2f513c833f0c275ff4a1a791b3&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=Host&response-content-type=application/pdf

EDIT: Okay, I just checked the link and it works. I don't know what I did wrong the first two times!

EDIT: Okay, I just checked the link and it works. I don't know what I did wrong the first two times!

and now it doesn't, the link has a session timeout value as it's served from a CDN so will only work for a short while

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Request has expired</Message>
<X-Amz-Expires>300</X-Amz-Expires>
<Expires>2017-09-20T16:45:04Z</Expires>
<ServerTime>2017-09-20T21:54:29Z</ServerTime>
<RequestId>640CD0306FC875E7</RequestId>
"); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><HostId>
IERbukTJ7Trn+uWufOsn5GCG/fk2bFvEXTWPEpueYzlDR5TXLQnFHYrI0ZjVi1hp+RVmL0I3flc=
</HostId>
</Error>

and now it doesn't, the link has a session timeout value as it's served from a CDN so will only work for a short while

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Request has expired</Message>
<X-Amz-Expires>300</X-Amz-Expires>
<Expires>2017-09-20T16:45:04Z</Expires>
<ServerTime>2017-09-20T21:54:29Z</ServerTime>
<RequestId>640CD0306FC875E7</RequestId>
"); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><HostId>
IERbukTJ7Trn+uWufOsn5GCG/fk2bFvEXTWPEpueYzlDR5TXLQnFHYrI0ZjVi1hp+RVmL0I3flc=
</HostId>
</Error>
Thanks jokiin. I couldn't figure out what I kept doing wrong. Cheers! :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TeriTerryTarry SJ4000 3
E SJ4000 4
Back