All the problems... is it only me?

Never happen, well not likely. Cost would be ridiculous to the end user.
I mean even at another $250 the A129 Pro Duo would be the same price as the blackweb... I too doubt we would see this, but it takes at least 90-100fps to really notice a difference subjectively. That was the main point I was trying to make.

I mean even at another $250 the A129 Pro Duo would be the same price as the blackweb... I too doubt we would see this, but it takes at least 90-100fps to really notice a difference subjectively. That was the main point I was trying to make.
Not sure what you are saying?

The A129 Pro will do 120fps at 1080 resolution.

Realistically 30 fps is enough to capture evidence, anything more is just about making the playback look smooth, and you can do that through frame interpolation without needing the vast storage required for 4K 120fps.

Not sure what you are saying?

The A129 Pro will do 120fps at 1080 resolution.

Realistically 30 fps is enough to capture evidence, anything more is just about making the playback look smooth, and you can do that through frame interpolation without needing the vast storage required for 4K 120fps.
I am new, I just got my cam setup two days ago. I didn't notice the 1080 120 option. I am guessing only 1080 60 with the rear cam running though. Thanks for the tip!

I got a replacement A129 Pro from Viofo (process was a huge pain).

Annnnnndddd... same problem with overheating shutdowns in mild weather.

Yesterday, 4K + 1080p, automatic parking mode, 65F outside. Camera shutdown after 90 minutes.

Today, 4K + 1080p, parking mode off, 70F outside. Camera shutdown after 60 minutes.

Disappointed to say the least. Lets see if they'll give me a refund and/or let me swap it out for the base model A129. The A129 1080p Duo in another one of my cars hasn't been turned off since the day I installed it.

edit: maybe I'll hold off until the fabled new firmware comes out. Like, it has to raise the temperature threshold? Right? Right????

Last edited:

Yesterday, 4K + 1080p, automatic parking mode, 65F outside. Camera shutdown after 90 minutes.

Today, 4K + 1080p, parking mode off, 70F outside. Camera shutdown after 60 minutes.

Disappointed to say the least. Lets see if they'll give me a refund and/or let me swap it out for the base model A129. The A129 1080p Duo in another one of my cars hasn't been turned off since the day I installed it.

edit: maybe I'll hold off until the fabled new firmware comes out. Like, it has to raise the temperature threshold? Right? Right????
It should never shut down at 18 degrees C, something strange going on!

Do you have a way of measuring the camera temperature, and the air temperature near the roof of the car?

It should never shut down at 18 degrees C, something strange going on!

Do you have a way of measuring the camera temperature, and the air temperature near the roof of the car?

I've posted somewhere in here before measuring the temperatures of the 129 and old 129Pro in my 70F home. The 129 was around 90F and the 129P measured somewhere around 120-130F.

My car's interior temp measured 85-90F according to its app. It will automatically turn on the fan and AC if it reaches around 100F anyway. Also the camera is not mounted directly on the windshield or in direct sunlight.

Does your new unit shut down in the house, where temperature wouldn't be a factor. Also, curious, did you install a pad between your base and camera. They sell it/recommend for their previous unit, but don't like the idea. I think, it doesn't apply to the 2020 a129 dual Pro 4k unit.

I would think heat transfer would be crippled?

The pad is meant for the previous A119 models, not for the A129 range that has a different type of mount. And no, heat transfer is not crippled, it does not cover any ventilation holes, maybe you can cut like 2mm off of it if you are really concerned, but it is not necessary.

I don't use it or ordered one, but the person who having heating issue may have been told to get it. Just an idea I threw out.
I was told to get it even though they sold me the 2020 unit, just because I have a truck for video shakes, which I don't have any shakes. Which I didn't buy.
On top of that, they didn't have a item with the correct item model, which made me wonder. I felt it would be a manufacture tolerance issue if it happened.

Okay, it doesn't cover the vent, but can act as a sandwich between base and camera.

I don't use it, but the person who having heating issue may have been told to get it.
I was told to get it even though they sold me the 2020 unit, just because I have a truck for video shakes, which I don't have any shakes.
I felt it would be a manufacture tolerance issue if it happened.

Okay, it doesn't cover the vent, but can act as a sandwich between base and camera.
They don't make EVA pads that fit the A129, only for the A119 series.

Sales often sell you things, that you don't need or they give wrong info. Just another item to cross off...

No pads or anything. I don't want to spend time doing more tests for something that should be set it and forget it.

Does anyone out there have zero issues recording in 4K with overheating shutdowns? I find basically impossible that I would get 2 bad units. And yes, I've ruled out every other variable I can think of (USB cable, GPS mount, power supply, rear cam, etc).

Well. So far no issues. But it winter here. Park mode on. Rear camera. 4K. Wbr on. High bit rate. Of course hardwire kit. I’m new to VIOFO. No influence from any party.

Same here, no problem in parking mode recording 8+ hours straight in low bitrate. But it is also winter here, no more than 10°C, and even at this relatively low temp the cam gets pretty hot on the surface. Wondering what will happen in summer.

That's disappointing to hear. I also have this problem as well as other problems. Viofo offered to swap for a base level A129 Duo, but I refused as I bought this camera for 4k.

But it looks like there might not be a cure. I'll hold out for the new firmware as well before asking for a full refund.

(yet again my A129 Pro Duo shut down in mild weather ~25C during parking mode... ridiculous)

You can go through my previous posts to see all the tests I've done, but TL;DR, it's overheating and shutting down. I've been talking with Viofo support and they've had me removing and replacing variables to isolate the issue and it keeps coming back to the main unit overheating itself.

This morning, I plugged the factory reset A129 Pro into a USB wall outlet, no rear cam, no GPS mount, and just let it record in 4K while I was gone. I even put a thermometer in it's view to show that my home is only 71F / 21C. It still shutdown sometime before I got back a few hours later.
View attachment 50691
Which part of the country are you in?

The external temperature at which it shuts down can be affected by things like humidity...

Which part of the country are you in?

The external temperature at which it shuts down can be affected by things like humidity...

The dashcam should not be shutting down at 25C external no matter what the humidity is, unless it's actively getting wet.

FYI I'm in Sydney, Australia. Humidity was ~70% today, but this has happened previously in the summer when it was lower.

The dashcam should not be shutting down at 25C external no matter what the humidity is, unless it's actively getting wet.

FYI I'm in Sydney, Australia. Humidity was ~70% today, but this has happened previously in the summer when it was lower.
today wasn't warm enough that it should have had problems

It is dryness that causes problems with cooling. High humidity is a problem for human cooling, but good for dashcam cooling.

I would expect 25C external and 70% humidity to be fine, but then again, a matt black car without UV reflective glass and sealed windows could still get very hot inside, especially with the sun now being low enough to directly heat the car interior instead of being blocked by the roof.

Back