Almost gone in 6s recorded by INNOVV C3

This is car after hit.

P50406-183024.jpg

We are lucky, still alive after hit, thanks for the airbag, that saves our life.

While we were driving around 100km/hour in the raining day, This is my new car, Ford SUV, brought two months ago. My friend was driving, I sit beside of him.

Another driver just overtook us and immediately slowed down before us to 20km/hour to think about which road to go.

IMG_0462.JPG

My driver noticed the car slowed down ahead, braked car,
But speed of my car had no change, directly hit the car ahead.

It's scary when the car in front suddenly seems (because it's slow or stopped) to come back fast at you.
Glad you are okay.

After study on the video many times, and look back what happened at that moment,
We are thinking our car why not slow down after braking.
From this 6s long video, it shows we were behind that car over 180 meters,
At that moment, our speed is around 100km/hour, time is 6 second, so we can account the distance is 100x1000/3600 x 6=166m.
Plugs the speed of the car ahead is almost 20km/hours, so the actual distance is (100+20) x 1000/3600 x 8= 200m.
that means we slow down the car after 200m,
but look at left side green pices of tin sheet, you can see the speed does not slow down.

Why? it is only 2 months new car.

you're lucky, in Australia police would say it was your car at fault

We take main responsibility, due to why not keep safe space and slow down car,
The car ahead take minor responsitility, due to slow down on fast lane.

It's scary when the car in front suddenly seems (because it's slow or stopped) to come back fast at you.
Glad you are okay.

Thank you, the main problem from our side is why my car could not slow down after braking.

Now the car is in 4S store, and share the video to 4S store and Frod for study.

After study on the video many times, and look back what happened at that moment,
We are thinking our car why not slow down after braking.
From this 6s long video, it shows we were behind that car over 180 meters,
At that moment, our speed is around 100km/hour, time is 6 second, so we can account the distance is 100x1000/3600 x 6=166m.
Plugs the speed of the car ahead is almost 20km/hours, so the actual distance is (100+20) x 1000/3600 x 8= 200m.
that means we slow down the car after 200m,
but look at left side green pices of tin sheet, you can see the speed does not slow down.

Why? it is only 2 months new car.

Not sure when you actually applied the brakes because seeing and then reacting will waste around 2 seconds.
A Ford Escape's minimum stopping distance from 60mph (96kph) is 125feet (38meters).
Your SUV looks smaller so may need more stopping distance but 180meters (590feet) is way more than enough to stop.
Maybe it slipped on the wet road or brakes were not pressed hard enough.
If pressed hard, it'll either kick in ABS and/or slide on the wet road.

Not sure when you actually applied the brakes because seeing and then reacting will waste around 2 seconds.
A Ford Escape's minimum stopping distance from 60mph (96kph) is 125feet (38meters).
Your SUV looks smaller so may need more stopping distance but 180meters (590feet) is way more than enough to stop.
Maybe it slipped on the wet road or brakes were not pressed hard enough.
If pressed hard, it'll either kick in ABS and/or slide on the wet road.

Actually, I noticed my driver a car ahead before the video and reminder him, and my driver also noticed it and applied the brakes before 6 seconds.

My version has not Escape system.

From the official report, it says slow down from 100km/hour is 43m, even in wet road, it has no reason slipped to be 200m and got serious hit.

Actually, I noticed my driver a car ahead before the video and reminder him, and my driver also noticed it and applied the brakes before 6 seconds.
I think the distance calculation is off.
At 100kph, car is going around 91 feet per second but when the brakes are applied, the car is slowing down and the distance per second reduces greatly.
After 3 seconds of braking, your car may be below 5okph or even less.
Regardless, that should be enough distance to stop.

I did not do any change on the video.

Back