Alpine DVR-F800PRO

robegian

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dash Cam
Thinkware Q800PRO
Hi all, I've just bought an Alpine DVR-F800PRO which actually is a Thinkware F800 PRO rebranded.

Like several other F800PRO users, I'm disappointed with its daylight video quality, which happens to be generally worse than my previous, cheap dash cam's (Aukey DR02). The main issue is the blocky 10MBps recording, which could be improved through a firmware update but it has not been so far (and I'm not confident it will).

I'm also finding issues with the hotspot link, since usually the unit can't connect to my iPhone SE's hotspot (after the first successful connection, when I step out of the car and later I come back, the two devices don't connect and I have to repeat the process of a first connection). Actually the whole process of the Wi-Fi and hotspot connection looks messy and inefficient.

Moreover, the 64GB High Endurance Sandisk MicroSD card I was using with the Aukey Dashcam is regularly formatted by the F800 PRO and continuous recordings are successfully saved BUT when I turn off the car and later I turn it on again, the unit asks to format the card again and again (the format process is claimed as successful at first but when the unit tries to access the card afterwards, an error occurs and the unit asks to format the card again, and the cycle repeats).

Finally, I can't upgrade my F800 PRO's firmware: maybe it's because it's distributed as an Alpine product — the firmware upgrade file is not available anywhere in the Alpine web site, the app doesn't find any upgrade and if I unzip on the MicroSD card the firmware upgrade v. 1.03.07 I found in the Thinkware site, the unit simply ignores it.

Anyone else here using an Alpine F800 PRO?

DVR-F800PRO_Alpine-ADAS-Dash-Cam_angle_Full_HD.jpg

Last edited:
there was one other user on here recently that had the Alpine version, their experience was much the same

A friend of mine, who is a programmer, told me that should be easy to make the Alpine F800PRO think to be a Thinkware — because the two units are completely the same, apart the fancy Alpine logo — and probably it would be just a matter of completely resetting the unit and/or tampering with some config files. Anyone having some information about this?

I think it would be an advantage to be able to upgrade the unit using original Thinkware firmware (Alpine never made any firmware upgrade available).

likely they just have a different bootloader so the firmware won't load because the name is wrong or there's an identifier in the file like they do for the different region versions

I noticed the mention of the possibility to increase the video bitrate (which on the F800PRO is just 10MBps): is that an option for the F800PRO?
Yes, but it some fw modifications will be required.

I'm also interested in upgrading Alpine with Thinkware Firmware
Have already tried changing filename for DVR-F800PRO_pkg.bin what made the device trying to read the file but not upgrading yet - then I've edited the bin file and also changed every F800PRO for DVR-F800PRO but still no luck.
Will make further attempts but hope someone smarter than me will help us soon :sneaky:

Hi robegian, I would also be interested from the custom firmware.
I have Alpine DRV F800pro, and the latest firmware I have seen is version one.

Last edited:
Hi all, this thread has been inactive for some time.

Is there anyone out there who could help us on converting the "Thinkware F800 PRO" firmware to work on the "Alpine DRV F800 pro"?
Thank you.

Also still waiting for anyone upgrading Alpine with Thinkware firmware :)

Hi, any other coders who could help us with the firmware?

Hi everyone :)

Alpine has finally made some update for this camera. It's not very much but something is going on.
The new version is 1.004 and can be found on Alpine support sites - it's from 06.11.2023 but I've found it just today :)
Don't know what improvements are made /if any :rolleyes:/ but have downloaded and installed in my camera.

Back