Alternate power source

plusfive.fun

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

Is there anyway to plug this into something other than the cigarette lighter? I use that for a fm transmitter / phone mount.

p.s. Anyone in Toronto looking to buy this? PM me.

You could hardwire it. Or use the included power supply, it has two USB ports.

You could hardwire it. Or use the included power supply, it has two USB ports.
Thanks @Harsh hardwire it to what? and what power supply? The site says Battery & Charging: NO battery, use capacitor, 5V 1A.

Thanks @Harsh hardwire it to what? and what power supply? The site says Battery & Charging: NO battery, use capacitor, 5V 1A.

Hardwire it to an existing fuse using a fuse tap.

Power supply - the 2 port USB charger that came in the box. Yes the camera uses a capacitor and not a battery, but it still requires power, hence the charger/power supply.

Hardwire it to an existing fuse using a fuse tap.

Power supply - the 2 port USB charger that came in the box. Yes the camera uses a capacitor and not a battery, but it still requires power, hence the charger/power supply.
Ok ok I think I get it. I guess I'll have to look into using the fuse since that USB charger is the cigarette lighter thing. Thanks!

Do you know if the "GPS mount" is something separate from the GPS model? Like if I buy the GPS model do I also need to buy some "mount"?

Ok ok I think I get it. I guess I'll have to look into using the fuse since that USB charger is the cigarette lighter thing. Thanks!

Do you know if the "GPS mount" is something separate from the GPS model? Like if I buy the GPS model do I also need to buy some "mount"?

GPS mount is optional. If you go for the non-GPS package, the GPS mount won't be included.

GPS mount is optional. If you go for the non-GPS package, the GPS mount won't be included.
Is a GPS mount just a mount that holds it in place? or is it the thing that tracks location and speed? I'm just a little confused by the word mount...

Is a GPS mount just a mount that holds it in place? or is it the thing that tracks location and speed? I'm just a little confused by the word mount...

The GPS chip which logs the car's location and speed is inside the mount, that's why it's referred to as a GPS mount.

The mount sticks to the windshield using double sided tape (3M VHB tape) and the camera slides into the mount. If you opt for the non-GPS package, GPS mount will not be included, you still get two regular mounts.

The GPS chip which logs the car's location and speed is inside the mount, that's why it's referred to as a GPS mount.

The mount sticks to the windshield using double sided tape (3M VHB tape) and the camera slides into the mount. If you opt for the non-GPS package, GPS mount will not be included, you still get two regular mounts.
got it. thanks @Harsh !

Owning any 5 volt powered Dashcam has many advantages including connecting to portable Power Banks, supports wide range of power adapters, lower power consumption, low cost. During power testing in Drive Mode 1080p@30fps ranged from 0.26Amp to 0.46Amp , 1080P@60fps ranged from 0.43Amp to 0.74Amp , while Parking Mode at 5fps ranged from 0.19Amp no motion detected to 0.37Amp not counting G-Sensor vibration triggers. Computer 5 volt USB 3.0 port ranges from 0.91Amp to 1.06Amp with USB 2.0 ports 0.39Amp to 0.52Amp.

You can also use a 3 port cigarette lighter adapter. The one I got from Amazon has three 2.1 amp outputs. If you get one just make sure each output will handle your current needs. The cheap ones might share the rated current between the three outputs, which is no bueno.

Ted

Hi,

Is there anyway to plug this into something other than the cigarette lighter? I use that for a fm transmitter / phone mount.

p.s. Anyone in Toronto looking to buy this? PM me.

You may want to check out a company called "Invisicord". If your car has a powered rear mirror (one that auto dims or has garage opening function), you can order their 5v dashcam cable which you can tap directly into your rearview mirror. The cable converts voltage from 12v to your camera's required 5v.

http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=58

Back