alternative to factory "Home Power Adaptor [sic]" from Blackvue?

nusrat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a nasty surprise when I tried to order this: https://www.blackvue.com/product/home-power-adaptor/?attribute_pa_home-power-adapter=us-type
Details below. Has anyone found a 3rd-party alternative with a tip with the right dimensions? There are plenty of 12V/1A wall-warts on the web, but being sure about the tip hasn't been easy.

I looked for the factory product on google and amazon, with no luck.

"Why not just buy the factory product directly from the Blackvue.com site? After all, it's only $15." I'm glad you asked.
Two weeks ago I ordered some minor items, just to have in reserve -- spare mount brackets, tape, and cable-clips, to make it easy to switch the dashcam between our family's cars.
The merchandise cost $28. Then yesterday I noticed that the shipping came to more than the merchandise -- DHL Expedited Shipping, $33 !
Because I had placed the order late at night, I thought it must be my mistake, that I must have been tired and inadvertently requested "Expedited" shipping, even though I didn't need the items urgently.

Then today I started to order the Home Power Adapter, a $15 item. When the shipping was calculated, it was AGAIN more than the cost of the merchandise, $23, more than doubling the total cost.
Yet there appears to be no option in the order process for choosing a slower and less expensive form of shipping. I understand that the items are being shipped from Korea, but don't understand why everything must be "Expedited" -- after all, many items from Amazon come via China Post, at very little shipping cost, even if it might take a few weeks.

I called support. They said the matter could be discussed only with the "Online Sales" people -- who can be reached only by email. So I emailed them and asked, "What's going on here?! Why is *everything* 'Expedited'? "
Their answer was basically, "That's just the way it is." It reminds me of that "joke" sign you see on some office workers' desks, which says, "There's no reason for it -- it's just our policy."
Verbatim, the email reply from Pittasoft said, "Orders more than $200 is offered free shipping, but any orders less than this amount is charged for shipping fee. All orders are shipped by DHL Express, from South Korea."

Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Back