Alternative to suction cup?

xsajin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I recently purchased the Z7 dash cam and so far enjoy it from just playing with it. When I went to try to put it in place behind the rear view mirror, where I had planned to have it, it wouldn't stick. Apparently there is some black bumpy film around my rear view mirror. A rather large area. These are some pics of what I'm referring to:
image2_zps7231c9d4.jpg

image3_zps2637f6a3.jpg

I can put the suction cup under this area behind the rear view mirror, but it's just too far down for my taste. This is what it would look like from my view in the drivers seat if I did that:

image1_zpsa086154f.jpg

Is there another alternative to attaching the Z7 camera somewhere behind the rear view mirror? Some kind of bracket which attaches to the mirror itself? I was looking around and possible thought of something like this, https://www.ebay.com/itm/201059412701 , but I'm not sure.

Anyone have some ideas to help me out here?

I'm driving now.
Look at other threads, I've posted a video about fixing with G1W 3M mount

I saw that video I believe. IIRC you unscrewed the portion which wasn't compatible and just swapped the "heads" of the suction mounts. The G1WH suction mount is smaller which is why you would want to switch it I think. The issue is, it won't stick to my window in the area where I wanted it to be.

EDIT: Whoops, the G1W mount is an adhesive mount. That'll do it for me I think.

After some searching, all I can seem to find is the mount combo'd with the camera or a generic universal one which doesn't even have G1W listed as compatible (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00ENYDS1M). Do you happen to know where I can order the actual G1W adhesive mount?

I went ahead and used some doulbe-sided tape.

image12_zps48eed13f.jpg

image22_zpsd918acc5.jpg

This will work as well :)

I have some questions about this camera I hope you can answer for me. There is a Loop function which splits continuous footage into 3, 5, or 10 minute equal segments or no loop at all. When the loop function is set to 3, 5, or 10, when the memory card fills up, the oldest files are deleted and erased for new files to be written? What will happen if the Loop function is turned off? will the oldest file be deleted and erased to make room for a new file? I suppose what I'm asking is, does the auto delete function of old files only work with the Loop function enabled? Or does it work when it's disabled and it still can delete to make room for new material?

Back