alternatives to tape for mounting?

Thanks for the fast reply, and the offer; I was hoping when I saw SG USA's reply about the "older" bracket it meant there was a newer, better version available or in the works. I'll send details.

depends how recent your camera is as to which version you have already, we have adjusted it a couple of times but it is being retooled as the CPL will be included and more people will likely need to use the thicker bracket in situations that the other one was never intended for

depends how recent your camera is as to which version you have already

I purchased a few months back. Here's a picture of the thick bracket without the adhesive:

sg9665gc_failed_thick_mount.jpg

Hopefully you can tell which version of the mount from this. Also, details sent.

that's the second version, the new one will be better for you, will arrange it for you once we get them in

Reactions: sbt
Thanks Jokiin! In the meantime, I'll try filling the holes and re-sticking...

Hey everyone,

I am loving my camera, it has saved me already a couple of times from dumbasses cutting off and the like.
However, the tape that was included has a lot to be desired. I already went through all of it because it just cannot withstand the heat in Texas.

How are y'all mounting the camera to the windshield? I need something stronger than the 3M tape that was included (which like I said, has all been used) since it loses its adhesiveness very quickly.

Thanks everyone!

Had the same issue here as the temperature is getting hot in Australia.

I bought some high temp araldite from a local hardware store and stuck the plastic housing to the adhesive glue. Make sure it's high temp but mines been stuck on like theres no tomorrow. The glue isn't expensive should be less than $10

... high temp araldite from a local hardware store and stuck the plastic housing to the adhesive glue.

Thanks for this suggestion, sshazam. Since my original post, I've tried filling the holes with black silicone, so I'll try the adhesive on this once it's gone off and see how it goes. I've found in the past that adding glue on top of glue is still as weak as the weakest layer, but it sounds like it's worked for you which is great.

Cheers.

not sure the silicone would be as successful as the Araldite for infill, if it doesn't work out and you need spare brackets or anything in the interim just let me know

Probably, but it's high temp and should address the surface area problem. Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

but nothing sticks to silicone except mould.

Thought I would share my experience with the VHB tape supplied with my A119. It was mounted after cleaning the windscreen with rubbing alcohol. A few days ago it became semi-detached after sitting in the hot Sydney sun. It was starting to unstick from the windscreen and the mount. This led me to suspect it had trouble handling the higher temperatures. I don't know if this is typical for this 3M product or if it is a Chinese knockoff.

I am replacing the pad with what I have previously used on my cams. I use automotive trim tape. It has successfully survived hot summer temperatures.

It was a dark greyish colour

I would fill up gaps in mount with 2 part epoxy glue and then when its hardened sand it down so its nice and flat, i might even put some Cyano glue on between the infilled mount and the sticky pad, thats what i did when suddenly the pads wouldn't stick to my the base of my old lukas, but after that there is no more Lukas dangling in my little sisters car.

Thanks for this suggestion, sshazam. Since my original post, I've tried filling the holes with black silicone, so I'll try the adhesive on this once it's gone off and see how it goes. I've found in the past that adding glue on top of glue is still as weak as the weakest layer, but it sounds like it's worked for you which is great.

Cheers.

Well my plastic holder came off from the adhesive which was still a bit tacky. It was fine in the cold but in the heat no chance.

I just covered the entire back of the plastic housing with Araldite and so far no issues with heat. The cars parked outside all day on a 30 celsius (86 fahrenheit) and no issues at all.
I did try and scrape of some of the old adhesive on the back of it but it was hard so gave up. Just make sure you get high temp, mine was rated for 80 celsius (176 fahrenheit) which should be enough for inside a car.

30 C :) envie is a tough feeling to deal with :D
Right now we are at 5 deg C and if we are lucky next week we might get a couple of days with temperatures close to 10 degrees.

Top of WA - NT or the top of QL sound good to me right now.

I did try and scrape of some of the old adhesive on the back of it but it was hard so gave up. Just make sure you get high temp, mine was rated for 80 celsius (176 fahrenheit) which should be enough for inside a car.

Fortunately, as shown in the picture I posted above, mine fell off cleanly, I didn't have to scrape at all. I assume the 3M VHB Street Guardian supplies is genuine and that's rated to 93 C, so I've just attached the VHB directly to the bracket with the filled holes with no additional glues or adhesives. Given the bracket design change that's happened, I'm betting the issue was inadequate surface area for adhesion rather than pure temperature rating.
sg9665gc_failed_thick_mount_filled.jpg
I've now reattached the bracket to the windshield (pressing firmly for 3 instead of 2 minutes, just to be sure). I'll delay attaching the camera for as long as possible beyond the specified 20 minutes, too.

If the silicone fails, I'll buy some hi-temp araldite to try while waiting for the new improved bracket to be released. Thanks to all for the advice.

Last edited:
Update: so far, so good with the filled bracket; we've just had a couple of 35 C + days here.

I note that the new thick bracket design is angled rather than flat; I'm not sure if that will work for me given how close to the glass the connectors already are (I had to get angled mini USB and 3.5mm TRS adapters to allow the cam to be mounted in the sunshade area):

sg9665gc_thick_mounted.jpg

Hopefully I can "stick" with the current setup. Haven't got any more VHB left.

Back