Always on Cigarette Lighter

rogcj

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
Nextbase 322GW
I am new to Dashcams. :eek:

I have ordered a LS330W but on checking my car I found the lighter is always on, so I will not have autostart when I turn on the ignition. I am assuming the dashcam will start recording as soon as it is plugged in.

According to a manual I downloaded, the LS330W has an on/off switch. I do not want to continually unplug and plug in the dashcam when I get out or into the car and I wondered whether using this switch is the correct method of turning the dashcam off when the car is parked and on before I drive away.

Just a heads-up will be fine. :confused:

If you place the camera behind the rearview mirror it might not be an easy thing to turn it on and off. My car has an 'always on' socket and I didn't want to mess around with any hardwiring jobs. I have 2 cameras and a gps unit to plug in so this is what I settled for upload_2014-7-22_17-20-40.jpeg

It was an excellent solution for me because because I was able to fasten it to the underside of the pull-out ashtray and the switches are very convenient.

Flicking the switches when you start the car just becomes routine and you don't even think about it. Maybe you might want to go this route.

If you place the camera behind the rearview mirror it might not be an easy thing to turn it on and off. My car has an 'always on' socket and I didn't want to mess around with any hardwiring jobs. I have 2 cameras and a gps unit to plug in so this is what I settled for View attachment 6354

It was an excellent solution for me because because I was able to fasten it to the underside of the pull-out ashtray and the switches are very convenient.

Flicking the switches when you start the car just becomes routine and you don't even think about it. Maybe you might want to go this route.
Thank you, parklawn.
My car is a SEAT Ibiza. The lighter and ashtray are combined in a plastic well with a flip-up cover and is situated in the centre console. The ashtray lifts out so I will take a look at how much room there is and whether I can fit in a switchable device.
Interesting times. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't have the car yesterday to take measurements as SWMBO was shopping. I agree with you that the cable and box would look a bit messy and she isn't a fan of cables. (not sure how I am going to explain the one from the dashcam to the cig-lighter. I better hide it well :oops:) I am not too clever when it comes to doing a project such as the 0801 hardwire install. :eek:

Anyway, it gave me time to think about things. I have a double-adapter but thought to use something like this for the dashcam - http://www.dx.com/p/20890-american-...pter-w-power-switch-black-204262#.U9DtzmccSCg. Saw a scare message on Amazon about someone who was using somesuch switchable and it melted, so I am a bit wary.

I've got a 460w which at the moment is always connected to the 12v cigarette lighter socket. I don't know if it's just me or if its just my car (2002 Vectra) but I've found that the power connector doesn't fit snugly into the socket and as a consequence my cam loses power periodically. This has become such a problem that I've just booked my car in to have the cam hard wired to my fuse box instead. Anyone else experience this? Its costing me random slices of footage as my cam keeps powering down and then up again due to the connector not fitting snugly. I've tried other connectors in this 12v socket (such as my sat nav) and there is no such problem...

I've got a 460w which at the moment is always connected to the 12v cigarette lighter socket. I don't know if it's just me or if its just my car (2002 Vectra) but I've found that the power connector doesn't fit snugly into the socket and as a consequence my cam loses power periodically. This has become such a problem that I've just booked my car in to have the cam hard wired to my fuse box instead. Anyone else experience this? Its costing me random slices of footage as my cam keeps powering down and then up again due to the connector not fitting snugly. I've tried other connectors in this 12v socket (such as my sat nav) and there is no such problem...

I am using a splitter for my Dashcam and Satnav. The splitter fits into the cigarette socket fine and the two plugs are snug fits into the splitter. HTH.

Ah thanks for the reply. It's probably the 12v socket in my car that's the problem.

As I am not into DIY or allowed to mess with the car, I ordered a cable extension with switch, off ebay. I managed to post photos and will try a video clip later. If it is permitted I have included the ebay link. If this is not permitted perhaps the moderator can delete the link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390711011144
I tried it before cabling in the dashcam to see if it works. And it does! When I leave the car or decide I want a break in recording all I have to do is 'click the switch'. :)

Attachments

• 1 ext with switch.jpg
    1 ext with switch.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 2 dashcam plugged into ext .jpg
    2 dashcam plugged into ext .jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 3 Ext cable switch plugged into splitter.jpg
    3 Ext cable switch plugged into splitter.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date