always on wifi

baz2011uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have recently installed a blackvue dash cam and using a cellink b to run power from it in parking mode and have to say it works a treat over the PMP i used to start with

so i am now after a always on mifi connection to the dashcam
at home its no issue as connected to home wifi but work and normal car parking i require the mifi (so i get instant notifications say on impact)
so picked up a cheap 4GEE Osprey 2 (not the mini) this has a 5150mah battery so run times are pretty good

i would like it hidden away in the boot connected to the 12v supply and leave and forget about it but a little niggle with it

issue with the 4gee Osprey 2
when the power drops from it it powers down but upon starting the ignition it wont auto power up need to hold the power button to fire it up

if the cellink b stops due to being all used up then the wifi connection between the dashcam and the 4gee Osprey 2 will stop and after 30 mins put the 4gee osprey to sleep again to wake it up requires a quick press on the power button
i do need to test this a little more as not 100% if ignition fires it back up but seemed unlikely when i tried it out this evening
TBH i cant see the cellink b ever getting low as i deliberate left it to drop down to see what kind of run time i would get only time would more than likely be airport parking but i can live with that

i know some of the dongles will power up and down with ignition so had me thinking has anyone used a power bank with 1 and got good results it would need to be a life04 battery due to the charging and discharging all the time and they are a lot safer

i did try using a power bank on my 4gee osprey 2 but my power bank wont allow charging and discharging at the same time

if anyone has any ideas that i could try or know that works that would be great

just thinking if i used an old mobile if it ran flat and the ignition was switched on would this fire it back up? as this could be the best option
i could then tweek it with tasker to shut the hotspot off once it sees my home network and re enable again once it drops off

not sure if this would be an option
but where the BV plugs into the cigarette adaptor on the cellink B for it constant power when ignition is off
could i put this in place
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01MSQP9GNand then plug the BV into 1 and a usb adaptor into the other to feed a constant feed to the MIFI box?

i am unable to find any details online how much Mah the 4gee Osprey 2 uses is there a way to find out? or could using a MIFI dongle work better in this situation?

Back