Am I the first to order the LUKAS LK-7900 ACE?

How does the 100HD-SP fare with low bit-rate? I'm happy with my Lukas video quality but the cam is really chunky!

mrkookm said:
Al Drake said:
I just installed the new firmware and all is well. Now I am about to purchase another ACE tonight for my rear window. I have the ITB-100 HD SP there now but it just isn't as good as the LUKAS. I've only had the ITB a few weeks but I always say you just can't have to many toys.

What are the advantages over the itb?
Thanks.

The video quality is better so I guess that would be number 1. The mic input sounds better also. The output to a monitor is far better. I like the ability to add filters. I've been using a CPL filter for a few days and can say it works wonders removing reflections from the dash with no bad effects. It's not the cheap CPL included with the device so that makes all the difference.
I probably won't use the ITB ever again and it will most likely sit in it's box but oh well............

The ITB still has no firmware update to provide English voice but I've read that may be on the way but if you snooze you lose. Still no fix for the poor quality video though.

Would love to see a video comparison between the ITB100-HD SP and the Lukas LK-7900. My ITB does not suck as you would make it seem and from the vids I've seen of the Lukas the recordings looked washed out amongst other issues. This might be a user error issue with regards to adjusting software settings or them not knowing encoding the vids causing further loss. But I I'm not overly impressed with the Lukas's quality.

Maybe you can show what you're seeing on your end such as a screenshot or upload a recording...

I don't think the ITB "sucks". I think it's simply number two on my list. The only way anyone can tell is by owning both and not by viewing a few clips of each. The bit rate is much higher with the LUKAS so that will show in quality of the video. The fact that it has English voice is another advantage and so on, like I already indicated. When it comes to size the ITB is smaller so that would be one for the ITB if that really mattered. It doesn't to me. There are plenty of comparisons already posted to make a decision if you are ready to buy something but I didn't save any of mine using the ITB HD Black-Box. I don't have much to offer in scenery either as I only drive the interstate and local highway that has very boring heavy traffic all the time. I can't offer any bright lights and fast paced shots because it's mostly small town country life around here. I hoped to get out to something especially nice as soon as I can so I have nothing to offer other than my personal unbiased opinion. If I thought there was a camera that was better I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I already have 3 different brands and think the LUKAS is the best of the three. That's why I bought another for my back window and put away the ITB. So you'll have to take my word on that. Sorry.

from my iP 5 via Tapa.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other one I'm looking at as well as the Lukas and itronics is the vivo vation tf2+.

Super 160° lens, special night mode, LCD (big plus for me as much quicker to align cam, I don't have to buy a monitor to setup), UNFORTUNATELY NO GPS!, takes full size SD (less fiddly, cheaper, more robust), doesn't take filters but that seems silly to me I want to fit and forget not remove filters when it gets dark.

Waiting for answers on bitrate from manufacturer (they seem to reply to customers on their Facebook page). I also need to look at the samples on a bigger screen later on (not my 7" tablet - every can looks great!).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Re:

Jazzist said:
The other one I'm looking at as well as the Lukas and itronics is the vivo vation tf2+.

Super 160° lens, special night mode, LCD (big plus for me as much quicker to align cam, I don't have to buy a monitor to setup), UNFORTUNATELY NO GPS!, takes full size SD (less fiddly, cheaper, more robust), doesn't take filters but that seems silly to me I want to fit and forget not remove filters when it gets dark.

Waiting for answers on bitrate from manufacturer (they seem to reply to customers on their Facebook page). I also need to look at the samples on a bigger screen later on (not my 7" tablet - every can looks great!).
The Vivo Vation looks interesting. I was just viewing some clips on YouTube and plan on looking at this one further. The night mode looks ok so far too. I use a 42" HDTV on this computer so I guess I get a different perspective than most.
The filters on the LUKAS is no deal breaker but it is a nice touch if you want to do more to reduce reflections. It's not something you need to keep removing as it's adjustable so you can twist it and the effect is gone(CPL). I like being able to at least keep the UV-Haze filter I have(not the one provided by LUKAS) on to protect the camera lens and aid in cleaning. Cleaning is very important as the car can be a very dirty place to keep a camera all the time and not be able to do something about the grime that will accumulate. I know many people think they can just forget about their dash cam but I don't think that will be the case over time. If you have to clean the inside of your windshield once in a while then you will need to do the same with your camera without scratching the lens.
All that really matters is how you will use your dash cam in the end and what you expect from it. The GPS is a nice feature if you need the location of an event later on after something happens. This is what a dash cam is all about I think so I would keep that on my list of importance. For the price I think the LUKAS is still the best at around $200.

I can't decide which to get. I want GPS and LCD really, I've asked vivo if GPS is an option on tf2+. I don't want to fart around to align the cam and I don't have a monitor I can use in the car. I dont think the tf2+ has motion record for parking, but makes up for that with other nifty features. Tf2+ comes with 3 brackets which is a nice touch esp. The quick release one. .If100hd sp vs Lukas is a very close call too. Big advantage of the Lukas over itronics is proper English support.I'll have to look at samples properly later.

Re:

Jazzist said:
I can't decide which to get. I want GPS and LCD really, I've asked vivo if GPS is an option on tf2+. I don't want to fart around to align the cam and I don't have a monitor I can use in the car. I dont think the tf2+ has motion record for parking, but makes up for that with other nifty features. Tf2+ comes with 3 brackets which is a nice touch esp. The quick release one. .If100hd sp vs Lukas is a very close call too. Big advantage of the Lukas over itronics is proper English support.I'll have to look at samples properly later.

I just saw a review about the Vivo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13HPZ6ofKtQ

It didn't seem all that much of a device. If all you want is all it has then you are all set. After all many people seem happy with their DVR720 for $50 or so. I have one that will never see an install again. You can setup the Vivo on dash but once you get used to any DC who will be changing the setting on such a basic device?
It can't hurt to take your time in deciding which way to go.
Good luck.

Al Drake said:
Jazzist said:

It didn't seem all that much of a device. If all you want is all it has then you are all set. After all many people seem happy with their DVR720 for $50 or so. I have one that will never see an install again. You can setup the Vivo on dash but once you get used to any DC who will be changing the setting on such a basic device?
Good luck.

I'm looking for something within the next few weeks for my new car which is on the way to the port from the factory.

Tf2+ ain't that basic: over lukas it has : HDMI, 160° lens, WDR, LCD, latest CMOS sensor, video tag, day/night auto settings memory.

Having said that...
I guess the Only main thing thats holding me back from Lukas is possible dodgy video at night.

Jazzist said:
Al Drake said:
Jazzist said:

Good luck.

I'm looking for something within the next few weeks for my new car which is on the way to the port from the factory.

Tf2+ ain't that basic: over lukas it has : HDMI, 160° lens, WDR, LCD, latest CMOS sensor, video tag, day/night auto settings memory.

Having said that...
I guess the Only main thing thats holding me back from Lukas is possible dodgy video at night.
I think it's a matter if getting used to the LUKAS and what the settings can do. Do you really need HDMI out? I remove the SD and view the Hi-Def clips on my Computer monitor(HDMI). I have no problems with the night video or any issues with anything for that matter. I like the parking and event sensor. All the settings are saved in memory. I don't see anything the Tf2+ has over the LUKAS.

Downloaded original Lukas samples, will watch on my 110" screen 1080p projector after I finished watching the Formula 1 from earlier. Probably ordering the Lukas, want GPS :)

Jazzist said:
Downloaded original Lukas samples, will watch on my 110" screen 1080p projector after I finished watching the Formula 1 from earlier. Probably ordering the Lukas, want GPS :)

Want 110" screen.................

:mrgreen:

Well I viewed all the samples and they look fine, nothing wrong with sodium lights appearing orange, that's their natural colour . Looks really sharp but unless number plates are the car in front they can be tricky to read, maybe this is normal it's not a Holywood camera.... Impressed tbh. Waiting to see if the seller can supply the av cable, crazy that it's not included.

Cinema was my 30th birthday present :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Jazzist said:
Well I viewed all the samples and they look fine, nothing wrong with sodium lights appearing orange, that's their natural colour . Looks really sharp but unless number plates are the car in front they can be tricky to read, maybe this is normal it's not a Holywood camera.... Impressed tbh. Waiting to see if the seller can supply the av cable, crazy that it's not included.

In daylight my Lukas is fine reading plates on oncoming cars at about 30mph. ;)

Jazzist said:

I would recommend you download the manual from LUKAS web site along with the player http://www.lukashd.com/eng/download/main.html and order a video cable from an online vendor like maybe here http://www.cnaweb.com/6-3-5mm-mono-plug ... 4Aod4FUAfw and be ready for when your camera arrives. As I mentioned I don't use their supplied filters rather I use a higher grade http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... details&Q=
and the UV-Haze filter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... %2FSPAN%3E

or even a better quality if you are serious about the best for your LUKAS. I had these filters and am happy they fit my Dash Cams.

You will pay more for a cable otherwise or you could make one up easily enough but I think I mentioned all that in in another post.

I was thinking about HDMI, I do think it's useful.. my AV receiver has HDMI on the front panel so it'd be good for quick playback (suppose camera stays in and you take out the sd card though).. or for a car reversing camera with better quality than analogue RCA. Composite video probably good enough for lining the camera, maybe good enough for reversing camera. I'll be using this for forward facing anway, could use something with good video but cheaper camera for reverse eg dr32.

Jazzist said:
I was thinking about HDMI, I do think it's useful.. my AV receiver has HDMI on the front panel so it'd be good for quick playback (suppose camera stays in and you take out the sd card though).. or for a car reversing camera with better quality than analogue RCA. Composite video probably good enough for lining the camera, maybe good enough for reversing camera. I'll be using this for forward facing anway, could use something with good video but cheaper camera for reverse eg dr32.

You don't really know if the HDMI out from the camera is the quality you expect. I have a DVR720 that has an HDMI output jack and it's supposed to be 720 but the quality really sucks. No way is Hi-Def. Clips viewed on YouTube look better. If you are expecting 1080 Hi-Def from that camera you might be surprised and disappointed. Are you planning on removing the camera just to view the clips? I have a 7" TFT dual channel monitor I keep on a laptop mount in front of the passenger seat when I drive back and forth to work and the quality if far better than I expected and way better than the output of my ITB 100HD SP. This is the only time I view the output as I don't see any need to remove either LUKAS front or rear. I remove the cards and the output of the clips is excellent.(seems like Hi-Def) Better than the video out of the camera. I also have a Magellan RoadMate 9250T-LMB 7" GPS that has video in that I connect to either LUKAS and they look fine. Maybe you need one of those.
Why would you want a camera of lesser quality for the rear? I tried my ITB but wasn't satisfied so I got my second LUKAS to replace it. I don't regret it for a second.

Yeah I find the HDMI a bit of a gimmick. If you were to use it to allign the cam, it would be the 1 time.

After that, for video playback, it's a lot easier to take the SD card out than take the camera off and output via HDMI.
And how often will you be reviewing the videos? For me, not much. I want to leave the cam there untouched and only when I have an accident or need the evidence, take out the SD card.

jamesbcd said:
Yeah I find the HDMI a bit of a gimmick. If you were to use it to allign the cam, it would be the 1 time.

After that, for video playback, it's a lot easier to take the SD card out than take the camera off and output via HDMI.
And how often will you be reviewing the videos? For me, not much. I want to leave the cam there untouched and only when I have an accident or need the evidence, take out the SD card.

It's nice to think you never need to remove your dash cam but I find that the lens needs cleaning more often than anyone would imagine. I had been removing it in the beginning and viewing the clips at first just because it was new and I wanted to make sure I could do it fast in case I was in panic mode from an unplanned event and thought I would eventually be leaving it there but each time I see a speck of something on the lens protector. Now one a week to make sure it's doing ok and it needs cleaning then.

But do you really need to remove it to give it a quick rub? I'm sure I could give it a quick 5 second clean with a lint free cloth without removing it. :D

jamesbcd said:
But do you really need to remove it to give it a quick rub? I'm sure I could give it a quick 5 second clean with a lint free cloth without removing it. :D

The first thing I would do it use a blower for any dust. If grime has accumulated then more drastic measures must be taken such as your rubbing procedure. I have found that a good look with a magnifier shows more than one would think. For this I think you might need to move it inside.

Back