Am I using it wrong?

Croshair

Reaction score
Country
United States
I needed a hidden camera for my Jeep Wrangler. I like the idea of the motion detector and the small remote camera, and I mounted the camera in the soundbar/rollbar behind the front seat. This would allow me to monitor the front seat, if someone goes into my Jeep while the top is off and when I remove the doors. I know that installing the camera behind the front seat will limit how far ahead it will capture the road ahead.

It works perfect for catching someone trying to get into my Jeep. However, the road video is useless during the day. It is as expected during the night.

Will a CPL lens help, or am I using it wrong since this is technically a windshield/dashboard camera? When will the CPL be available?

Jeep.jpg
Jeep02.jpg

This camera is tuned to being aimed outside, not sure if we can add an adjustment for non-standard placement with half light / half dark like that.

The RC CPL samples we received have some slight vignetting so we are waiting to see a re-designed version soon. (taking longer than anticipated) We want to get it just right if possible.

yeah the camera can't handle that amount of light during the day, move it to the window and you'll see the results would be very different, a CPL filter won't help with this at all

Or get a second camera for the windshield. I can switch back and forth between the windshield and rollbar cameras, as I remove or install the hardtop or soft top.

Hardtop or soft top on = plug in the windshield camera, since my doors will be locked.

Hardtop or soft top off = plug in the rollbar camera.

Here is what it looks like without a top on the Jeep and with the sun behind me.

Jeep03.jpg

Here is with the sun directly in front of me.

Jeep04.jpg

A Jeeper's worst nightmare is for someone to get in your Jeep and go through your stuff when the top and doors are off. That someone could pry open your glovebox, center console, and take your dashcam off the windshield. They wouldn't expect a camera behind them in the rollbar. I can probably get other Jeepers to get this RC by showing them this setup.

It would be nice to be able to just move and switch the camera mount, or if and when this unit can handle two cameras. But for now, any chance for a discounted second camera and another long cable? ;)

But for now, any chance for a discounted second camera and another long cable? ;)

You can only use one camera at a time as you know. Do you use some kind of USB switch box? (Or manually move cables)

Search our site for:
SGRCLENS and RCLONGCABLE

It will be two cameras permanently wired. I will just switch which cable is plugged into the main unit. Just another step, while I'm in the middle of removing or installing the top.

If you're ok with that but better to have a set it and forget it operation without adding extra wear and tear etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
niko SGZC12RC 37
Back