Amazing modded GoPro Hero3 for professional cinema

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
Radiant Images in Los Angeles, California has produced an amazing tricked out heavily modified GoPro Hero3 Black edition designed for professional cinematography. Working with View Factor Studios maker of high end camera equipment, supports and cages for the TV and film industry they have re-housed the guts of a GoPro Hero3 into a highly durable custom body that among other features and upgrades allows for the use of a wide range of interchangeable lenses using the "C mount" system along with other types of high end film making gear. Basically, they have converted the GoPro into a miniature, fully capable professional cinematic production tool with such features as back focus and manual exposure control. They call it the Novo. It's pretty cool!

inhand.png

novo.png

lens.png

longlens.png

Last edited:
That is very cool!

It just goes to show that if the manufacturer doesn't skimp on the lens quality that the A7 hardware is capable of some great quality footage!

It just goes to show that if the manufacturer doesn't skimp on the lens quality that the A7 hardware is capable of some great quality footage!

That's an interesting observation about the A7 and you make a good point. Lenses make a huge difference. Also, apparently the addition of the high end IR low pass filter is also a factor in achieving a"filmic" quality with this camera. Alas, a GoPro with such a filter and a lens to match would cost thousands.

Still, I can't wait until we eventually start seeing cameras (including dash cams, one hopes) with the Ambarella A9 - link (pdf)

the lens is potentially the most important part of the whole device, you'll notice that's the one part where people don't generally want to give too much detail away and never want to reveal who the supplier is

There is allso the Backbone Ribcage, witch i think will be cheaper.
http://www.cinema5d.com/backbone-ribcage-interchangeable-lens-system-for-gopro-3/

It is nice with interchangeable lenses for a small camera, but then the camera kinda Loose the action size and toughness.
And then the camera end up beeing not so small, and there will be alternatives for those not so cramped Places with no need for the "action" element.

Allso good C Mount lenses dont come cheap, but the adapter from C to larger lenses are nice if you allready have a lens Collection.

That's an interesting observation about the A7 and you make a good point. Lenses make a huge difference. Also, apparently the addition of the high end IR low pass filter is also a factor in achieving a"filmic" quality with this camera. Alas, a GoPro with such a filter and a lens to match would cost thousands.

Still, I can't wait until we eventually start seeing cameras (including dash cams, one hopes) with the Ambarella A9 - link (pdf)

I look forward to some action cam with Ambarella H1 ( http://www.ambarella.com/products/sports-cameras#H1 )

I didn't see GoPro on the last image. ;)

What image are you referring to?
longlens-png.5710

That's what I thought. You should read the first post and absorb what it actually says about this camera.

Back