Amazon cracking down on fake reviews - Aukey Delisted

Many people have alerted Amazon to bogus reviews via the "abuse" link. People can use the link to report anything they feel is "abusive" including bogus reviews. That's why they put the link directly in each review. Aside from that, Amazon has a review process before they will even post a review. Amazon has indeed been lax about preventing bogus or questionable reviews and they need to address that but asserting the "report abuse" link isn't the equivalent to some imaginary "report fake" link you are proposing is simply not valid. The difference between "report abuse" and "report fakes" you alleged is merely semantics.

I am sure Amazon gets millions of "report abuse" reports. Weeding out complaints such as false reviews, paid reviews, etc from actual product complaints muddies the water. If Amazon had a "Report Fake" by each product being sold along with the ability to submit comment and image, it would be far more effective than some "catch all" report abuse system.

I am sure Amazon gets millions of "report abuse" reports. Weeding out complaints such as false reviews, paid reviews, etc from actual product complaints muddies the water. If Amazon had a "Report Fake" by each product being sold along with the ability to submit comment and image, it would be far more effective than some "catch all" report abuse system.

Well, since you always claim to have all the answers, you be sure to contact Amazon and tell them how to conduct their affairs.

Well, since you always claim to have all the answers, you be sure to contact Amazon and tell them how to conduct their affairs.

It's a "suggestion". I doubt Amazon gives a damn about my opinion. Amazon clearly didn't care enough to regulate their own marketplaces, until the press got involved. And I'd still bet this is a superficial response.

Amazon makes plenty of money off 3rd party retailers, and it's quite clear, Amazon is happy to step aside and let these people sell without interference. Even when the products sold are inferior or knock offs.

You got that one right.

..... The point doesn't change, which you're overlooking, is that regulation is possible. Amazon lacks the desire to properly police their marketplace.

Your Opinion, My Opinion, etc are worthless. Pretty much unless Amazon gets bad press (as happened in the above article), Amazon's modi operandus is "Hands Off".

Last edited:
..... The point doesn't change, which you overlook, is regulation can occur. Amazon lacks the desire to properly police their marketplace.

Your Opinion, My Opinion, etc are worthless. Pretty much unless Amazon gets bad press (as happened in the above article), Amazon's modi operandus is "Hands Off".

I didn't "overlook" anything, I merely pointed out that Amazon already has a vehicle for reporting an issue with a review whether it is bogus or anything else. Whatever label you'd like to slap on your suggestion it would be redundant to what already exists.

However Amazon does or does not respond to reports of bogus reviews is a different matter. As for any meaningful regulation of online commerce and social media it has yet to happen despite all the lip service.

Last edited:
If Amazon have a button people can press, and nothing happen, that would not be anything new, it is probably one of the oldest ploys in history, at least as old as politics are.

The FTC has proposed new rules that clarify what is and isn’t a deceptive online review — and would give it the power to fine $50,000 for each fake.

The FTC has proposed new rules that clarify what is and isn’t a deceptive online review — and would give it the power to fine $50,000 for each fake.

Interesting info.
Hope it gets up.
Then AU can copy US.
Will make my purchasing decisions a little easier.

The new FTC proposals are to be welcomed, though I question how the rules will be actually policed with million of reviews appearing every day.

A little sidebar to this is the questions and answers sections on websites, particularly on Amazon. I was reading through an Amazon listing for a new dashcam that has been discussed here in depth and it was blatantly obvious that the seller had written both the questions and the answers! You know, in that bizarre type of "Chinese English". Questions and answers were written in such a way as to present the camera in a positive light. In my opinion it amounted to nothing less than a positive review by the seller and would therefore violate the new FTC proposals.

Last edited:
The new FTC proposals are to be welcomed, though I question how the rules will be actually policed with million of reviews appearing every day.

If you read the article from the Federal Trade Commission you'll notice that they are still working out how this will function as these are "proposed rules" for now. They are seeking feedback: "The Commission is seeking comments on proposed measures that would fight these clearly deceptive practices. For example, the proposed rule would prohibit: (see the article)

Still, the FTC is skilled at handling complex regulations for a variety of industries and they seems to already have a fairly decent framework established. They may not be able to prevent every deception and fake review but just having formal federally back rules and regulations in place with hefty fines attached could go a long way towards improving the situation we have to deal with now.

Back