Ambarella A12-based discreet dashcams

stangri

Reaction score
Country
Canada
With the new (superior) A12 coming from Ambarella I've decided to postpone replacement of my misbehaving 0806 until I find a discreet A12-based cam with a capacitor.

But so far the only A12-based cams I've seen are large and shiny. Are there any discreet A12-based dashcams out there that I've missed?

which models did you check ?
Opia 2 is pretty discreet. It's reliable too.

Thank you, I missed the Opia 2, although it's not as small and not as inexpensive as I'd have hoped. ;)

Yeah, the DAB201, 202, 205 and Opia2 are the ones I'm aware of. The DAB201 is the only one I would consider shiny. The DAB cams are battery, but much cheaper than Opia 2.

Thank you, I missed the Opia 2, although it's not as small and not as inexpensive as I'd have hoped. ;)
you cant buy the most advanced technology model (chipset) in the market at cheap price. ;)

I'm also looking for some modern feature-complete dash cam. Opia 2 looks like good candidate but I would like to see:
- powered through a mount clip - hate additional cables
- GPS connected through mount clip - cables suxx while (dis)connecting
- form factor similar to CDV300/Shadow 1S
- easy disconnection from mount clip like in case of CDV300
- Wifi

Still don't have any cam which uses A12 chipset with wifi

I'm also looking for some modern feature-complete dash cam. Opia 2 looks like good candidate but I would like to see:
- powered through a mount clip - hate additional cables
- GPS connected through mount clip - cables suxx while (dis)connecting
- form factor similar to CDV300/Shadow 1S
- easy disconnection from mount clip like in case of CDV300
- Wifi

Good points. I wish it had WiFi as well. I think there is a market for the form factor they have as you can record police encounters by rotating the camera. I hope more A12 cameras come out in the future.

@CaptureYourAction I'm going to add the DAB05 as an alternative to the D201 as I forgot you were selling the more discreet version. Other the the body and mounting system everything else is the same?

Good points. I wish it had WiFi as well. I think there is a market for the form factor they have as you can record police encounters by rotating the camera. I hope more A12 cameras come out in the future.

@CaptureYourAction I'm going to add the DAB05 as an alternative to the D201 as I forgot you were selling the more discreet version. Other the the body and mounting system everything else is the same?
Hey Andrew,
Yeah, I'm told the only difference is the casing and the way each camera mounts. I actually don't sell the 201 anymore, but do still sell the 202 and 205. Have you tested a 202 or 205 yet in comparison to the 201? While they all run on the same firmware and button placement and function are the same, I think the feel of the 202 and 205's are a little nicer. I'm specifically speaking of the feel of the buttons. They seem much easier to press on the 202 and 205. I think on the 201 casing the buttons are more flush with the casing making them a little more difficult to push. Probably not that big of a deal, but something I did notice. While I don't think there is any difference in image quality, I think the feel is a little bit of an upgrade. Not having the chrome is a bonus as they are definitely a little more discreet.

Back