Ambarella A5L70 dashcam?! Whistler WP8

northsouth

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I just came across this dashcam on a Taiwanese website, apparently this webcam was just released this week. Selling at roughly US$202.50

l_52245f4cea1e5.jpg

Its predecessor is the WP7.

According to Google Chrome page translation, WP8 has added quite a few new features but all I'm interested in is the chipset that it is using. I googled "A5L70" but found nothing. Except for that some Russian sites mentioned A5L70 is also been used in HP F210 dashcams.

Anyone knows what this chip is?
Thanks.

Reference: http://www.pchomeus.com/product/P011000 ... 060300_0_1

Last edited by a moderator:
northsouth said:
Hi all,

I just came across this dashcam on a Taiwanese website, apparently this webcam was just released this week. Selling at roughly US$202.50

l_52245f4cea1e5.jpg

Its predecessor is the WP7.

According to Google Chrome page translation, WP8 has added quite a few new features but all I'm interested in is the chipset that it is using. I googled "A5L70" but found nothing. Except for that some Russian sites mentioned A5L70 is also been used in HP F210 dashcams.

Anyone knows what this chip is?
Thanks.

Reference: http://www.pchomeus.com/product/P011000 ... 060300_0_1

I thought we were all waiting for A7LA based cameras.

I read that if a DashCam isn't based on the AX-LA family, it's not designed for prolonged use in an automotive environment (keyword LA) I think A stand for Automotive
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1419

If the same terminology can be applied to the mysterious A5, then not sure it's solid long term.

I don't see Ambarella A5 mentioned under their Automotive Camera Solutions section. They only show the A7L-A
http://www.ambarella.com/products/autom ... tions.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A5 has been around for a while but is being phased out, A7-LA range are purpose built for automotive use, the A5 offered ok performance but can suffer a bit in hot environments and had some other limitations, you'll probably still see A5 based product around for a while yet

Cool thanks guys. I am also waiting for one with A7, but that might have to be until november or december to actually see one on the market.

Which is newer chipset, A5s or A5L70? Or more or less the same?

I have seen many raw video files samples from A5 series, and they are close to NT96650 + AR0330, so I don't see anything "woww".
At the moment for me "woww" - effect makes dash cameras using good CPU / firmware / lens + Sony Exmor CMOS.
Or let's wait for proper / reliable A7LA based dash cameras to get new WOWW :)

Hi,

Whistler WP8, HP f210, Abee V50, Mio MiVue388, Navman MiVue388, Rollei CarDVR-110, ParkCity 710, all use the same A5L70 chipset. The video quality is almost the same although it is difficult to compare the recordings due to the different lightning situation, weather etc. Some users complained about variing quality in production of the same brand/model, so IMHO they are all the same in the end (I tried to compare the different videos on youtube when set to the highest quality (1080).

The only differences I could find was with the firmware-features. Especially as the firmware is exchangeable...

JoeJoe

I see. So A5L70 is still the same old A5. Sorry my bad.
I was just thinking to buy a dashcam for myself. A5 could be a good entry level. My budget is about US$150.

@Niko
Do you know any brands that use NT96650 + AR0330 combo?

Hi,

I am satisfied with the general video quality of the A5L70 (I use a Rollei CarDVR 110). Daytime recordings with full-HD won't be a problem for any camera, night time will be difficult depending on the available light. IR-LEDs won't help for "normal" distances, only when an object is close by.

The main flaw I see in all cameras I mentioned is their battery with 470mAh capacity. After switching off the power-supply they work for about 20-30min and that's way too short for my taste... (I know, it'll be difficult to fit a bigger battery in such a small housing).

JoeJoe

JoeJoe said:
Hi,

I am satisfied with the general video quality of the A5L70 (I use a Rollei CarDVR 110). Daytime recordings with full-HD won't be a problem for any camera, night time will be difficult depending on the available light. IR-LEDs won't help for "normal" distances, only when an object is close by.

The main flaw I see in all cameras I mentioned is their battery with 470mAh capacity. After switching off the power-supply they work for about 20-30min and that's way too short for my taste... (I know, it'll be difficult to fit a bigger battery in such a small housing).

JoeJoe

IR is useless on any dash cam, they reflect from windows of your car and you get overexposed video with white "ball" in the middle.
Batteries are also bad idea on dash cams. Their life is short and bad for temperature sensitive regions ( cold / hot ), they often "explodes".
More educated dash cam manufacturers using capacitors these days and fir parking mode recording you can hardwire using battery discharge device.

northsouth said:
I see. So A5L70 is still the same old A5. Sorry my bad.
I was just thinking to buy a dashcam for myself. A5 could be a good entry level. My budget is about US$150.

@Niko
Do you know any brands that use NT96650 + AR0330 combo?

There are few dozens dash cams out there using nt96650 + ar0330. Most well known and tested / talked here on forum are dod ls300w and gt300w by tiotech or seezeus / shadow tec.

Back