AMBARELLA Introduces A9 Chipset capable of 4K Ultra HD Video

jsan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know this isn't breaking news, but I was wondering if dashcam mfgs were planning on using this anytime soon, or have they been already?

I guess GoPro Hero 4K, will probably be the first one to utilize A9.

IsENoji.png

Re: AMBARELLA Introduces A9 Chipset capable of 4K Ultra HD V

haven't heard of anyone using it, I would think it will be at least a year before we do, if it all

This sounds like unlimited possibilites (3D noise reduction, encoding with centres of interest, mac for ethernet, privacy masks)
I guess we will see this chip not only on dashcams, but as well in actioncams and ip cameras.

adorfer said:
This sounds like unlimited possibilites (3D noise reduction, encoding with centres of interest, mac for ethernet, privacy masks)
I guess we will see this chip not only on dashcams, but as well in actioncams and ip cameras.

I'd think you'll probably see it in a GoPro product before anything else

just wonder how will the 4K video file size be? could a 32GB memory card lasts more than 1 hour??

I'm assuming the SDXC is not an accident in that case...

Cards currently in development for upwards of 2 TB that are SDXC compatible, surely with the 4k in mind.

also supports external hard drives, not that's perhaps the most suitable solution but memory capacity will be larger than most people need (or want to pay for at least $$$)

From what I've been told, the A7 chip is still being researched on to implement it into the dashcam world. I guess by the time next chip is released the dashcams Mfgs will be researching into A9 chip.

I really hope the dashcam manufacturers get on their game and start making decent dashcams, and try to keep up with what's out there.

jsan said:
From what I've been told, the A7 chip is still being researched on to implement it into the dashcam world. I guess by the time next chip is released the dashcams Mfgs will be researching into A9 chip.

I really hope the dashcam manufacturers get on their game and start making decent dashcams, and try to keep up with what's out there.

A7 based dashcams are already starting to happen, I don't see any need to rush into an A9 product at this stage, it will probably take quite a while to exhaust all the capabilities of the A7 platform

jokiin said:
jsan said:

A7 based dashcams are already starting to happen, I don't see any need to rush into an A9 product at this stage, it will probably take quite a while to exhaust all the capabilities of the A7 platform

I see, know any names of the ones coming out with A7? What sort specs can we expect?

Not so much as research going on, but the development of the firmware to keep things simple for the end user.

The A7 will be implemented as soon as within the next 2 months. The A7 will be integral into how the dash cam market takes off, imo. As more people become interested in using dash cams and run into "good" A7 products instead of the crap that is out there now, word and video proof will spread on how good these cameras are becoming. More and more users, you get the picture.

Honestly I don't see the A9 being far too off from the A7, begining of next year or the end of this year if things continue as they are.

WhiteEightBall said:
Honestly I don't see the A9 being far too off from the A7, begining of next year or the end of this year if things continue as they are.

I have no doubt that someone will do an A9 product so they can boast of having a world first product, happens all the time, never good products, just being first in the world to release a buggy product is somehow appealing, I know there'll be A7 product out probably 3 months or more before us, but I'll bet they make plenty of mistakes in the rush to get it out there, I'm not that impatient

lol No doubt there jokiin. Notice I never said a "good" A9 product. But I do suspect some good A7's to be out before December rolls around.

time takes to mature a processor sometimes take even a year depending how complex is technology. :mrgreen:

GeorgesNJR said:
time takes to mature a processor sometimes take even a year depending how complex is technology. :mrgreen:

I really feel the A2 has only just matured in the last 18 months and it was released in 2007, will take a while before you see maximum results out of the A7, will maybe revisit the A9 in a years time and see where it's at but I don't see a great advantage at this stage at least over the A7 except for the sport cam market

Stancom has the 4k dash cam due out next week. Records at 4k 30fps but for me I am more interested in the faster fps for 1080p. I sit worth paying $400 for such a cam to begin with. The Ambarella A7 does 1080p at 60fps which is what I have now. Not posted here in a while because my dashcam working so well. I use the stancom pro car cam. Not seen anything better. They only sell inside oz so if you live outside find another selling the same designed cam because they truely are fantastic.

this looks very promising... I have seen 4K H.264 video on a 4K monitor... the video quality is stunning....

There are several security camera manufactures already working on the solution and demo'ed at trade shows.

To be honest, I do not see a use of the 4K res in dash cam since 1080P resolution is already sufficient. Having higher resolution would require excessive amount of storage and high cost on the hardware.

Maybe someone else has a different opinion.

This is 1 to 2 years away from being reality in a dashcam product anyway, the rest of the technology will catch up by then, larger memory etc

Just saw the new Panasonic HX-A500 action cam, it will do 4K at 25 FPS, but i have no idea if it is based on the A9 platform.

If you intend to use 4K footage you allso have a need for somthing to play it on ;) i dont think i will ever own a 4K TV or monitor.

Back