Android app for multi channel DVR

Jon-G

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm about to buy an android head unit (Joying) for my Passat which has rear view camera and a DVR app for recording from an additional USB camera.

I would like to install an app that will record the rear view feed (analogue) and the feeds from two additional USB HD cameras, dash and interior in the case of an accident/robbery etc.

I've been searching online and have contacted the vendors but I still haven't come across something that will do this.

Another question I have is if the head unit would have enough processing power to run a 3 chan DVR in the background and still be useable for navigation/music etc. The unit uses a quad core RK3188 1.6GHz Cortex A9 CPU with 1GB DDR3 RAM.

Any pointers whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

No chance. The analog feed from the rear camera is not seen by the Android half of the unit so it can't do anything with it. And I really doubt it can handle recording even just two streams at 720p without cooking the processor. It doesn't have active cooling so when it gets hot, the only thing it can do is throttle the CPU to limit how hot it gets.

There's a really good thread on those joying units over on the toyotanation forum. Yes, it's geared towards the Highlander unit, but the core unit itself is pretty much the same in every car, just with a different faceplate. So the technical aspects still apply to yours.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...-installation-questions-answers-new-post.html

I'm not all down on those units. I'm saving up to put one in my wife's Highlander and a generic one in my Tacoma truck as well. I don't plan on using its DVR functions at all though, and not just because I already have a good dashcam system. I just want the Android goodies. :)

Back