Android app "Mobius USB Tools" is Defunct

super max

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR750X-2CH Plus on Blendmount
I tried to use Mobius USB Tools today to align my rear view Mobius and found out that the app is inoperative and no longer supported : http://pages.videotron.com/therau20/nr16/android.html

Anyone know of another Android app that will show live view with the Mobius and OTG cable for alignment purposes?

i just found out that you are right!
what the hell is going on in here?

The developer of the app couldn't go on doing the app due to the cost of keeping up to date with android hardware and the Mobius developers didn't want to contribute to keep it

so, how can we see the live "webcam" mode?
there is another app that you can see the live view from the webcam (after connecting the camera to your smartphone and press the shutter button)?

The developer of the app couldn't go on doing the app due to the cost of keeping up to date with android hardware and the Mobius developers didn't want to contribute to keep it
The app programmer knew from the start that that his app was freeware. It is not fair, IMO, to add a time bomb into his software in order to try and blackmail the Mobius developer to pay him. If he has decided to stop development due to costs incurred, then that's fair enough and understandable, but to add code into his software to render it useless on current android versions/devices is not something I agree with. On top of that, he has now started posting incorrect and untrue information about the Mobius.
It's not the first time he stopped his programs. He did this with his Java versions for the Mac and the PC a few years ago...
Even if I were angry with the developer (which I'm not ;)) it would never enter my mind to deprive thousands of current users of a useful working tool. This is not my understanding of writing freeware designed to help others.

This was an app I would gladly have paid for. Too bad the developer wouldn't give us that option.

Making it a paid for / advert supported app is a good idea - although it may be that he doesn't want to go down that route as if people pay for something then it may raise the number of support calls heading in.

I'd personally pay for it quite happily but one thing I have noticed since moving from iPhone to Android is that a lot of applications are free and I've seen a lot more adverts since I moved over - maybe that is another avenue that could have been followed anyway.

The app programmer knew from the start that that his app was freeware. It is not fair, IMO, to add a time bomb into his software in order to try and blackmail the Mobius developer to pay him. If he has decided to stop development due to costs incurred, then that's fair enough and understandable, but to add code into his software to render it useless on current android versions/devices is not something I agree with. On top of that, he has now started posting incorrect and untrue information about the Mobius.
It's not the first time he stopped his programs. He did this with his Java versions for the Mac and the PC a few years ago...
Even if I were angry with the developer (which I'm not ;)) it would never enter my mind to deprive thousands of current users of a useful working tool. This is not my understanding of writing freeware designed to help others.

Iso, your argument is pretty lopsided (understandably) so I'll give the other side.
"The app programmer knew from the start that that his app was freeware" - Irrelevant? Has he ever charged for it? No. Did he ever consider charging for it? No. Did it have adverts? No. So I'm not sure why you are stating this, it seems you are confusing freeware with him wanting to be re-imbursed for the cost and time he put it...that does not affect him offering it for free I think that's just called decency.

"It is not fair, IMO, to add a time bomb into his software in order to try and blackmail the Mobius developer to pay him."
1) I think its damn fair.
2) He can do what he wants, as you state it's his software, his time, and his freeware.
3) Why should he create an app, get no money for it, lose a lot of money, then leave the app and leave a chance for him to get drawn back in and not only that but the Mobius team still get the benefit of the app?

"If he has decided to stop development due to costs incurred, then that's fair enough and understandable" - He did, he quite clearly states that IS and the ONLY reason he stopped development.

"On top of that, he has now started posting incorrect and untrue information about the Mobius." - Prove it. Go on. Prove it. You can say oh Tom Frank said this...oh Tom said this...oh the developer is this...but where is your proof...at the same time where is his proof....but until I see proof from either side I'll assume you are both lying.

"Even if I were angry with the developer (which I'm not ;)) it would never enter my mind to deprive thousands of current users of a useful working tool. This is not my understanding of writing freeware designed to help others." - fair play, however, as far as I'm aware Therau is not you? I'm glad you won't but stop making him seem like a prat simply because he's fed up of being exploited whilst someone gets all the spoils.

Now please before you say: Me and Tom give up our free time and we get nothing...let me say this in advance.

1) Tom Frank is either the owner/tester of the camera (depending on who's side you are on) - so he either makes the money or has no overheads...except posting to support messages.

2) Being a programmer (limited I might add) computer software requires less hardware upgrades and when it comes to upgrades it is easier to upgrade (take out ram, change graphic cards etc) so overheads are limited again.

Therau however for Android would have to keep up, and sadly phones are upgradeable...considering the latest Samsung Edge costs £500 that adds up very quickly.

My point is this...people are pissed because they are used to having something for free and now they don't have it when in fact they have no right to complain...literally none. He has received no money for it, no compensation...no anything so why does anyone have a right to complain...I've BOUGHT apps before that have suddenly been removed....yet this is an app for free. If the developer is serious and actually cares about the users and what they want they'll stump up the small amount of money needed.

Just my 2cents but I think it's horrible how he has/and is being attacked.

Dan

sorry I should have clarified, I wasn't offering opinion on what was happening, just a summary of what was posted here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32956694&postcount=17267 was on mobile at the time I posted and didn't have the relevant link for reference

This isn't the first App that has had the plug pulled and it won't be the last. I can certainly understand everyone's frustration and disappointment but it is up to the buyer of any device to ensure it is going to meet their needs before buying, so the buyer of the phone must bear equal fault here. If you had to have the Mobius interface with your device you should have ensured it would always be there for you ahead of time.

Should a loud enough noise be made wanting an App for this, there is a software developer somewhere who will make another one but you'll probably have to buy that one. Bearing in mind that 99.9999+% of Droid users will not be affected I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Happiness is not guaranteed by anyone, anywhere, at any time. Just how the world works.

Phil

3) Why should he create an app, get no money for it, lose a lot of money, then leave the app and leave a chance for him to get drawn back in and not only that but the Mobius team still get the benefit of the app?
That was his business model. Why create a free app and then complain when it's not making money? Many of us would have gladly purchased Mobius USB Tools as a paid app, but we weren't given the opportunity.

That was his business model. Why create a free app and then complain when it's not making money? Many of us would have gladly purchased Mobius USB Tools as a paid app, but we weren't given the opportunity.

we don't have the benefit of knowing each persons side of the story but he states he suggested the he, Tom Frank and isoprop each be given 1 cent per camera for the contributions they each make and was shot down, doesn't sound like a lot, 3 cents per camera but again, we don't know each persons side of the story and probably never will

...and then complain when it's not making money?....
If I read the posting(s) correctly it wasn't a matter of not making money as it was a matter of it costing him money to support a product that was making money for someone else.

Similar to what it would be if you worked for free and your employer not paying for your commuting costs even though he was making money as a result of, at least in part, your efforts.

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know the relationship between Tom Frank and the Mobius? According to his last post, you can no longer talk about Android Apps in the RCGroups thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32972862&postcount=17311
That thread is "The Mobius ActionCam Support Thread", and app discussions there are probably off topic. But he did refer those discussions to "The Mobius ActionCam ***Owners Thread***" http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1971523. There's no intent to stifle Android app discussion that I see, just to keep it in the appropriate thread.

Okay this is a pretty insulting post to Therau. So just to clarify, you're pissed at him because he created a free app then complained when he never got any money and that you were never given the opportunity to pay for the app?

1) It's a free app - nobody but the owner has any right to complain?
2) When the Mobius started NOBODY and I mean NOBODY expected it to be this popular - I remember talking to Therau when the Mobius first launched and he literally did the app because he enjoyed the camera...it did not take up much time - however, you could see the change, people came to the forums to slag him off because it didn't support their phone, cried because 'this free app (as you put it)' did not do what they wanted it to do and as such he invested more time and everything into it for the love of the people. I think the tipping point came when it became ridiculous, he was virtually doing this full time due to the expectation of the Owner (who is NOT CHINESE) and also the community yet received nothing. Zilch. Relying on donations/paid app becomes a dangerous game simply because you now answer to the community, you have to provide a certain level of support, and you're at the behest of the base as if they deem it ****, they'll go after you. So I 110% side with him on it not being paid for.

Donationware - most people don't donate. Those who day donate small sums. It's not worth it. Simply not worth it.

That thread is "The Mobius ActionCam Support Thread", and app discussions there are probably off topic. But he did refer those discussions to "The Mobius ActionCam ***Owners Thread***" http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1971523. There's no intent to stifle Android app discussion that I see, just to keep it in the appropriate thread.

This is unbelievable and is a joke. FOR SO LONG the Mobius team have hyped the app so much, shouted its benefits and people have definitely bought the camera because of the app...and now because they don't have the app they're pissed and don't want the bad publicity in their thread. Well that is pretty shocking customer service...in fact if that was happening on this forum my guess is everyone would slam them. The Mobius Support Thread is EXACTLY the right place to have this discussion...they advertised it for so long and it was part of Mobius just because they messed up and it's gone does not mean they can just make it disappear. I think that really shows you what kind of people are behind Mobius and I think their mask may be falling off rather quickly.

Last edited:
Disappointed in losing the app. Is there an alternative available?

Also, does anyone know the relationship between Tom Frank and the Mobius? According to his last post, you can no longer talk about Android Apps in the RCGroups thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32972862&postcount=17311
As @super max posted, all that Tom Frank wants to do is keep the support thread on-topic.
There is indeed an alternative app available from:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2211354&pp=100
Unfortunately, the app doesn't support webcam mode and is file-based so there is no USB communication. Despite this inconvenience I think you'll find the GUI more user-friendly than the original.
Neither Tom Frank nor myself have any connection with the developer whatsoever. Anyone claiming the contrary is just lying.
I will not further discus about Therau2000 and his app. I have posted my opinion and that won't change.

lot of shouting going on "HERE" o_O

all smoke and mirrors but panning the competition never goes down well !!!!

Back