Android app "Mobius USB Tools" is Defunct

@supermax

I can't get CameraFi to see my Mobius. Have tried it with a Samsung S6 and a Moto G but no luck. My OTG cable is good and sees pen drives on both phones. Is there anything I need to press/select with the Mobius other than plug it into the OTG cable?

TIA

http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/MobiusManual.pdf

Webcam Mode There are two ways in which you can enter webcam mode. Method 1: • Connect the camera as a removable drive (see above). • Press the Shutter button to enter webcam mode. • ► If this is the first time you have connected the camera in WebCam mode, Windows will automatically install the required drivers. • ► Disconnect the camera or press the Power button to exit webcam mode. Method 2: • Remove the flash memory card. • Connect the camera to the PC using a standard USB cable. • The yellow LED will blink at 2 second intervals indicating there is no card inserted. This is normal. • ► If this is the first time you have connected the camera in WebCam mode, Windows will automatically install the required drivers. • The camera is now in Webcam mode. • Start your favorite WebCam software, such as AMCap. If your screen is black, the software is not configured correctly. Make sure the program shows the "USB PC camera" as the "device" selected for video capture. If this option does not show in the "device" option list, restart the webcam program and check again. • Disconnect the camera or press the Power button to exit webcam mode. ►Note: Windows XP has an integrated WebCam viewer. Your Mobius should be visible in Explorer (My Computer) as a "USB Video Device". This functionality does not exist in Windows 7

Probably worth trying that to see if it works

@reverend

I looked at that in the manual thanks. Probably me being dumb but I'm trying to use CameraFi in my car for alignment with an Android phone and OTG cable, the instructions above are for Windows PC. Am I missing something?

I connected my Mobius to the phone with an OTG cable and the Mobius powers up. Then I selected the video icon on CameraFi and immediately got a live view from the Mobius. That was all I had to do. I'm away for a week so can't help more right now. Good luck, it should work for you.

I have one of each. Either one will power up when connected to the phone. "USB Data Port Charging" is enabled on the Mobius.

OK, so thanks to the help from supermax indicating that it pretty much ought to be plug and play with CameraFi and Android OTG, I finally figured out my problem. It was a cable issue - I'm using a 4 metre cable in the car and that doesn't work when connecting the Mobius to my OTG cable/phone. If I connect the Mobius using a much shorter mini-USB/USB A cable to the OTG it all works fine.

Sadly that means that having done an alignment I then have to swap the cable connections to the Mobius without moving it!

If plugging the cable carefully moves your cam, then the cam isn't as securely mounted as it should be. Slight mis-alignment won't affect the overall view much though.

Phil

Try an application called "Webeecam Free-USB Web Camera" from the Google Play store.

OK, so thanks to the help from supermax indicating that it pretty much ought to be plug and play with CameraFi and Android OTG, I finally figured out my problem. It was a cable issue - I'm using a 4 metre cable in the car and that doesn't work when connecting the Mobius to my OTG cable/phone. If I connect the Mobius using a much shorter mini-USB/USB A cable to the OTG it all works fine.

Sadly that means that having done an alignment I then have to swap the cable connections to the Mobius without moving it!
@HTB, it could probably because the cable is just a charging cable with no data lines. The shorter ones are data and charging cable that's why that would work most of the time.

Reactions: HTB
@HTB, it could probably because the cable is just a charging cable with no data lines. The shorter ones are data and charging cable that's why that would work most of the time.

@Jarod, many thanks for that clue. I checked and you are entirely correct; I only have a charging cable. Doh! I may at some point get a 4m mini-USB/USB A data/charging cable but have kinda got used to aligning the camera by just eyeballing it now.

Can anyone recommend an OTG cable to go with this app and my Nexus 5?

If plugging the cable carefully moves your cam, then the cam isn't as securely mounted as it should be. Slight mis-alignment won't affect the overall view much though.

Phil
I've only used my phone to align the mobius on 5 occasions - when first installing the cam in different vehicles. Because the OTG cable is so short, I've had some problems (I'm not the most agile/not much room to move around in vehicles) so often ended up with my phone hanging freely off the mobius & never had a problem with it being misaligned.

Does this app still work? I managed to download it, got an otg cable, but it doesn't recognise my camera when plugged into my phone, which is a Sony Xperia Z5. I bought the cable that was recommended.

I haven't tried any other app yet

This is in part why I use the mount I use. No fuss, no extra apps or cables, just take it down and put it back up in a few seconds. I've also discovered I can rotate it left and right a good 100 degrees and back center. I had a tail-gator the other day and pointed my cam at her as she passed by.

This is in part why I use the mount I use. No fuss, no extra apps or cables, just take it down and put it back up in a few seconds. I've also discovered I can rotate it left and right a good 100 degrees and back center. I had a tail-gator the other day and pointed my cam at her as she passed by.
I can remove the camera, but wanted to make sure it was pointing where I want and not getting the rear view mirror casing, as its quite big on the BMW due to the gizmos inside it

Naturally of course. I simply don't like having to deal with extra cables and angles - I get enough of them while woodworking. My mount takes care of the angle so I can remove and install as roughly as needed without worry. It helps with my OCD so I don't have to find that perfect sweet spot each time.

Back