Anker Roav C1 Pro Dash Camera Review

sabbotage

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recieved this Anker Roav C1 Pro dash cam to review recently. I have used it now for a few weeks and so far I am pretty impressed. The camera uses a Novatek NT96660 chipset and an OmniVision 4689 sensor for 2K video in MP4 format. The camera includes everything to get up and running, which includes 2 mounts, 12 volt adapter, USB cable, and a 32Gb Samsung Evo SD Card. I find that including the SD card is handy and saves you from having to purchase one separately.

The build quality of this camera is top notch. It uses a nice aluminum housing and the shape is comparable to other popular cams such as the Viofo A119. The metal housing makes the camera feel very solid and gives it a premium feel. I love the L shaped connector on the camera end of the power cable. It allows you to conceal the cable a little better and the power location on the base of the camera keeps the cable completely hidden. One drawback I don't particularly care for is the 470mah battery instead of using a super capacitor. I haven't had any issues so far with overheating though and we have a had a few days in the low 90s here in PA since I installed the camera. The parking mode feature seems to work considerably well and keeps a 30 second clip in case of an impact. This saves the cars battery and prevents you from having to install a backup battery.

My favorite part of this camera setup is the app. I use an Android device and I feel that the app was very well thought out. My favorite part of the app was that it can pull down firmware updates and directly upload them to the camera without having to pop out the SD card and do the updates manually. All of the settings in the camera are able to be changed through the app and you can watch and download videos taken with the camera directly from the app. When watching downloaded videos in portrait mode it displays a nice set of gauges on the screen with the date and time at the top and speed/gforce at the bottom left. And the bottom half of the screen is Google Maps with the location and route of the clip. In landscape mode it shows full screen video without the map. You can also click the upload icon and it allows you to shorten the clip/change quality and upload directly to Facebook or YouTube. Here is a screenshot from the app:

2EA6Z1Rl.jpg

The video quality seemed to be pretty decent. I took my video at 1440P 30FPS and it seemed bright but the contrast seems to be turned up a little high. I took all of my samples with version 1.4 of the firmware and this morning I got an update to version 1.6. I don't know if the firmware included any quality enhancements or not, but I noticed the voices and the startup/shutdown sounds both have changed. Here is a video sample I took on a bright sunny day and another of the same location to compare with my Thinkware F770. I haven't had the chance to get any night video yet because I don't drive much at night, but I will try to get some soon and update this post.

Here is a youtube video at 1440P 30FPS:

Same video of my Thinkware F770:

Here is a raw version of the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8pcaw8wqii8yty/2017_0826_224442_004.MP4?dl=0

And a link to purchase the camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B073VFRGFN

Can you turn off the speedometer in the recording? Or is that speedometer only showing up when viewing the footage in the app?

Can you turn off the speedometer in the recording? Or is that speedometer only showing up when viewing the footage in the app?
It only shows up when viewing the footage in the app. The video I posted on YouTube shows what's on the actual video. The camera name can be removed in the settings too. I'll have to check and see if the date and time and speed can be removed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for making the raw download available. That 1440P resolution is pretty impressive. I guess front license plates aren't required in your state but if they were, it looks like they could be read in the oncoming lane of traffic when going the speed you were.

It only shows up when viewing the footage in the app. The video I posted on YouTube shows what's on the actual video. The camera name can be removed in the settings too. I'll have to check and see if the date and time and speed can be removed.
Thanks for the info

Just got the C1 Pro. Your review mentioned the APP. The reason I might return the C1 Pro is that my version of the APP is asking me permission to form a VPN connection if I want it to do anything. I am very suspicious of an APP that wants to form an encrypted connection so nobody can figure out what data it is transferring. Just this week, the *fourth-highest grossing app* in the "Paid Utilities" category of the macOS App Store was pulled for secretly transmitting user browser data to a server in China. That APP was called "Adware Doctor" -- what nerve!

We really don't know who these companies are. Anyone have a comment on this? Is there a reason I shouldn't worry?
ROAV_VPN.png

Just got the C1 Pro. Your review mentioned the APP. The reason I might return the C1 Pro is that my version of the APP is asking me permission to form a VPN connection if I want it to do anything. I am very suspicious of an APP that wants to form an encrypted connection so nobody can figure out what data it is transferring. Just this week, the *fourth-highest grossing app* in the "Paid Utilities" category of the macOS App Store was pulled for secretly transmitting user browser data to a server in China. That APP was called "Adware Doctor" -- what nerve!

We really don't know who these companies are. Anyone have a comment on this? Is there a reason I shouldn't worry?
View attachment 41523

The only reason why it is asking to make an optional VPN connection is that because your phone temporarly loses its internet/network capablity while you connect it your dashcam WiFi . You phone sees it as a normal home WiFi type internet connection ..but really the dashcam WiFi is only for transferring files . So to allow internet connectivity via your 4G network while you are connected to the Dashcam WiFi .. The app creates a 'VPN tunnel' to allow internet connectivity .

Now granted that technically it is possible to monitor whatever is going through their 'tunnel' (only for the duration your phone is connected to the dashcam WiFi) .. so its really up to you and you can choose to deny/ignore it if you're ok looking temporary internet connectivity while accessing the dashcam.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Anker 3
USDashCamera Anker 0
USDashCamera Anker 0
N Anker 4
USDashCamera Anker 98
Back