Anker Roav DashCam C1 Video Review

O yeah.
Some times it can be the glass in the lens that shift, but most often i think it is the whole lens mount that shift or the lens position in the mount though they are fixed in place with glue most of the time.
You can fix a focus shift on a dash or action camera, just have to break the glue seal and then reposition the lens, it is mot much on the circumference of the lens it take to be back in focus, a mm or 2 is normally all it take.
There are plenty of video tutorials on youtube about how to change lenses on action cameras and so on, its the same kind of lenses they all use ( M12 fine thread ) so all it take is a little DIY skills.

I like Anker as a brand because of their warranty return process. But then it occurred to me that I've had to use the warranty for about 40% of the things I've bought from them - batteries, car chargers, usb hubs, a mouse, a keyboard.

They're very nice about it...but that's a lot of shoddy product I've had. And when I read about others experience with Anker, it seems everyone's warrantied something!

I like Anker as a brand because of their warranty return process. But then it occurred to me that I've had to use the warranty for about 40% of the things I've bought from them - batteries, car chargers, usb hubs, a mouse, a keyboard.

They're very nice about it...but that's a lot of shoddy product I've had. And when I read about others experience with Anker, it seems everyone's warrantied something!

to be fair I've owned multiple versions of iPhone, every one of them has been replaced at some point, up to 4 times on some models, why don't we hate Apple for making unreliable products, because when you have a problem they get it sorted, there's a lot to be said for service

to be fair I've owned multiple versions of iPhone, every one of them has been replaced at some point, up to 4 times on some models, why don't we hate Apple for making unreliable products, because when you have a problem they get it sorted, there's a lot to be said for service
All else being equal, and sometimes not even close, I would take solid service and support every time. Your post is spot on.

I would take solid service and support every time. .

it has a higher value than the products in my opinion, may not be the same in all markets but I know that here some of the biggest brands have some of the worst after sales service, they live off brand reputation to get sales but then they burn customers when things go wrong which is very disappointing for consumers

It takes both good products and good after-sales service to make a real winner. It also takes time for someone new to a game to get up to speed ;)

Anker, like Garmin, is a good brand name overall but with dashcams Anker is hardly moving while Garmin is making concerted efforts to optimize their cams.

Methinks Anker should be trying a bit harder. The potential for a good or great cam is there but that potential has not been reached or even closely approached yet :(

Phil

It takes both good products and good after-sales service to make a real winner. It also takes time for someone new to a game to get up to speed ;)

Anker, like Garmin, is a good brand name overall but with dashcams Anker is hardly moving while Garmin is making concerted efforts to optimize their cams.

Methinks Anker should be trying a bit harder. The potential for a good or great cam is there but that potential has not been reached or even closely approached yet :(

Phil

I think they're just a bigger version of some others in the market, they see something is popular or increasing in popularity and decide they want a piece of the action and come into the category knowing very little about the product so are going to make some mistakes along the way

I have heard people say this dash cam comes with a second mount now, anyone have pics? Couldn't find any, mine only came with the one mounting plate.

I have heard people say this dash cam comes with a second mount now, anyone have pics? Couldn't find any, mine only came with the one mounting plate.
I will NOT forget to remove the dashcam everyday and only attach it when I drive becos I fear battery failure and possible fire bomb. Check the reviews on amazon with pictures of the screen coming off due to summer heat. I have been using mine for over 35 days now and oh boy it is so hot, you can't even touch it with your finger. while the videos are generally good, it ocassionallly is over exposed due to heat and bright sunlight.

Most LCD screens go blank under high heat, then return to normal when things cool down so don't let that alone concern to you too much ;) Such heat can be bad for LiPo batteries though, and overheated electronics can go out of tolerance and/or fail :( Those two would concern me.

Phil

Can I ask users of any updates for the Roav C1 please note after using, I'm thinking of buying.

Has there been any firmware updates to help any issues, fix any bugs?

In parking mode is it still taking the 7 secs like in the video, r has this improved? It's something I'm interested in for a dash cam.

I'm in UK so don't think I'll have any of the heat issues slot if people in US are having!

I believe you get 2 mounts in the pack, I've read they are so solid, but as this is a lease car I renew every year, will I still be able to remove all trace of the sticky tape and maybe reuse the mount with a new 3M sticker?

Will the mount work ok on a front heated screen?

Would you still recommend? I agree Anker have been good with after service for me also in UK, and if buying a spare cable, powerbank etc, I always try to buy Anker from Amazon UK

Thanks

O yeah.
Some times it can be the glass in the lens that shift, but most often i think it is the whole lens mount that shift or the lens position in the mount though they are fixed in place with glue most of the time.
You can fix a focus shift on a dash or action camera, just have to break the glue seal and then reposition the lens, it is mot much on the circumference of the lens it take to be back in focus, a mm or 2 is normally all it take.
There are plenty of video tutorials on youtube about how to change lenses on action cameras and so on, its the same kind of lenses they all use ( M12 fine thread ) so all it take is a little DIY skills.
Thanks for the info! It is on and off, the blurry issue. As people on here have said, it is most likely related to heat as it can get very very hot inside the car during the day. I've stopped worrying about it.

Mine came with two mounts in the box.

There you go as I predicted! The Anker Roav dashcam is a big fail & they have now stopped the sale of this due to all the new updated reviews and reports from those who tried in 90F heat for few months and this crap product got its battery swollen, burnt and LCD screen popped out due to heat! We knew there claim of this thing being bale to withstand heat of up to 149F wasn't true! Sadly they are not doing better with their replacement C1 and the Pro version as they are all the same and replacement too has same issue with screen popping out! They are still saying it is NOT due to heat which is so dishonest but the veyr good thing about Anker is they do give full refund anytime.

I had mine hardwired at bestbuy in May . Can I use another brand dashcam using the same cable micro usb I believe? Or I have to do another hardwiring for the non Anker brand dashcam?

If I wasted money on the Anker Roav dashcam hard wiring, I will check to see if they will issue me refund for the cost of hardwiring. Thanks

Th 5V micro USB is pretty much standard for most dashcams. A very few are powered by 12V directly and/or have other plug formats. So your hardwiring job isn't likely to be wasted as long as the cable reaches your choice of new cam which it probably will :)

I don't know why Anker is having these problems, but my best guess is that they went into making dashcams with a design and engineering team who had no experience it this particular field and they're now finding that what works well on paper and in other electronics doesn't quite work out the same here :whistle: We all like to think that we can handle things beyond our usual endeavors, but the wisest ones are those who know there is no shame in calling in those with expertise, even if only to verify your own thoughts. There is no replacement for actual experience and there never will be :cool:

Phil

Th 5V micro USB is pretty much standard for most dashcams. A very few are powered by 12V directly and/or have other plug formats. So your hardwiring job isn't likely to be wasted as long as the cable reaches your choice of new cam which it probably will :)

I don't know why Anker is having these problems, but my best guess is that they went into making dashcams with a design and engineering team who had no experience it this particular field and they're now finding that what works well on paper and in other electronics doesn't quite work out the same here :whistle: We all like to think that we can handle things beyond our usual endeavors, but the wisest ones are those who know there is no shame in calling in those with expertise, even if only to verify your own thoughts. There is no replacement for actual experience and there never will be :cool:

Phil
The emails they just sent to all so below. It says battery swelling is normal?

We are writing in regard to your recent order (Order N""""""""""o. ) for Roav DashCam C1.

We have recently learned that a small number of our early Roav DashCam products may be affected by extreme in-car temperatures causing the screen to pop out.

Please note: This is NOT a safety issue. It is normal for a battery to expand in higher temperatures which is why products are designed to accommodate what the industry refers to as “swelling.” In our earlier Roav Dashcam C1 products, there wasn’t enough room in the design to accommodate for extreme heat expansion causing the screen to bulge out. New versions have fixed this issue.

If you have one of our earlier versions of the Roav Dashcam C1, we are offering you two options:

1. Return the product and we will replace it with a new version.
2. Keep the product and we will extend the warranty of your product to a total of
24 months. You don’t have to do anything. If you ever have any issue, you can
simply reference your product's serial number.

HOW TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE AN EARLIER VERSION OF THE ROAV DASHCAM C1
On your DashCam, select Menu>About>SN to find the serial number. If the number matches one of the below formats, your DashCam is from the first batch and you can reply to this email to let us know if you’d like a replacement. If it isn’t, you’re good. Go back to enjoying your Roav DashCam experience!

B145BA1XXX
B205BA1XXX
B225BAAXXX
B236BA1XXX
B236BA2XXX
B256BAAXXX
B257BAAXXX
B276BAAXXX
B277BAAXXX
B295BABXXX
B296BABXXX

HOW TO RETURN YOUR ROAV DASHCAM
If your Roav Dashcam C1 is one of our earlier models, please reply to this email with your latest shipping address and the SN of your DashCam C1. We'll confirm the information and send a new one to you as well as directions on how to return your current product to us.

ROAV is an ANKER company, and we pride ourselves on creating high-quality products. We apologize for any inconvenience this may caused.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly through this email.

Roav Customer Satisfaction Team

Have any problem reading this email on Amazon?
Please check it in your registered email.
For Your Information: To help protect the trust and safety of our marketplace, and to help arbitrate potential disputes, we retain all messages buyers and sellers send through Amazon.com for two years. This includes your response to the message above. Amazon.comuses filtering technology to protect buyers and sellers from possible fraud. Messages that fail this filtering will not be transmitted.

We want you to buy with confidence anytime you purchase products on Amazon.com. Learn more about Safe Online Shopping (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=551434) and our safe buying guarantee (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=537868).

[commMgrTok:A22QHEBJT1M7H8]
4f2e34cd-42f2-3296-8739-8e4cac847861

We all like to think that we can handle things beyond our usual endeavors, but the wisest ones are those who know there is no shame in calling in those with expertise, even if only to verify your own thoughts. There is no replacement for actual experience and there never will be :cool:

Phil
Well said

When exposed to excessive heat, swelling is normal for the LiPo batteries used here, but it is also a failure of the battery even if the screen stays in place :eek: This is why capacitor powered dashcams are preferred by most in warmer climates since they can tolerate much more heat before failure. A few years ago there weren't many cap-powered dashcams, but nearly every new design now incorporates them because failed batteries are bad for customers and the manufacturer too, who now has a warranty claim to deal with :( No experienced dashcam designer overlooks this very important point nowadays ;) Better is more than possible here- everyone else ca do it so Anker can too. An they had better do it if they want to be in this very competitive market :whistle:

Phil

When exposed to excessive heat, swelling is normal for the LiPo batteries used here, but it is also a failure of the battery even if the screen stays in place :eek: This is why capacitor powered dashcams are preferred by most in warmer climates since they can tolerate much more heat before failure. A few years ago there weren't many cap-powered dashcams, but nearly every new design now incorporates them because failed batteries are bad for customers and the manufacturer too, who now has a warranty claim to deal with :( No experienced dashcam designer overlooks this very important point nowadays ;) Better is more than possible here- everyone else ca do it so Anker can too. An they had better do it if they want to be in this very competitive market :whistle:

Phil
Okay. I asked why you would send me & others the same Roav C1 dashcam as replacement after this issue with screen popping out and they replied me with the following. Does it sound like this will stop the access heat and screen swelling? "We can assure you that the battery will not explode. For your information, we have improved the PCBA, the charging voltage further limited to 4.06V instead of 4.2V, and the battery voltage protection diode added, a more stricter limit for reducing battery cell activation. All these make sure that the battery will not swell."

battery is most likely to swell due to heat, may be that they had an issue that was accelerating this problem, won't stop it happening but perhaps makes it less likely

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Anker 3
USDashCamera Anker 0
USDashCamera Anker 0
N Anker 4
S Anker 6
Back