Annoying "speed camera zone" announcement

Sijmen

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Dash Cam
F770
I have the speed camera file on my F770. It says sometimes "no more speed camera zone" and repeates that about 10 times, which is quite annoying. How to get rid of that warning?

I'm pretty sure it's saying "mobile speed camera zone" ;-). The only way I know to turn it off is disable speed camera alerting.

Ah, 'mobile speed camera zone' makes more sense.
But where is it based on? The speed camera file is a static file, and doesn't get updates dynamically. Right?

Yeah it's a static file. So someone reported a portable (usually vehicle mounted) speed camera at one point and it's now in the database. Problem I noticed is that the database is easily outdated. There is a stretch of highway I drive that gets alerts even though there is never a camera there.

its a shame you can't run only the static cameras and remove the mobile.

I quite like the alerts for static

Yeah it's a static file. So someone reported a portable (usually vehicle mounted) speed camera at one point and it's now in the database. Problem I noticed is that the database is easily outdated. There is a stretch of highway I drive that gets alerts even though there is never a camera there.

these kinds of warnings have become less effective since the mobile sites have been added as it's just too inaccurate, I recently changed the radio in my car to a new Kenwood which has the same function and I ended up turning it off, it got tiring real quick

As far as the 'Mobile Speed Camera Zone' announcements go, I have found that if I keep to what appears to be about 95% of the prevailing speed limit then I never get an announcement on my 750/770 but as soon as I hit the marked speed limit or go over it in a known mobile camera are then I get repeated warnings until I reduce speed, then the warnings stop.
In my area the local newspaper lists where the mobile camera's are going to be each week and there are some area's where they have not been for a couple of years and then suddenly appear again.
So in conclusion, if I keep just below the prevailing speed limit, I get no single or repeated warnings and no speeding tickets.
I have kept a totally points free licence and had no fines since I started driving cars in 1965 and HGV's and PSV's from 1969.
I am now 68 and still drive 44 ton HGV's occasionally.
When I was young I think I was lucky not to be caught speeding but as I got older I think I got a little bit wiser.

I am perfectly happy to keep the function as although I like to think that by now my driving should be close to perfect (I jest) but my wife never fails to remind me that it is not, (but what would she know), (I can type that but would not dare say it to her face) and on the very odd occasions when I may go slightly over the speed limit then I am happy to accept a prompt whether it is my wife or the camera.

drive like this and you don't need the function anyway ;)
Drive at 95% of the speed limit and you annoy everyone else on the road. You.. might think you are a safe driver but you create the opportunity for many accidents.

Drive at 95% of the speed limit and you annoy everyone else on the road. You.. might think you are a safe driver but you create the opportunity for many accidents.

No he does not !

Stupid people do stupid things .. The speed limit is the maximum speed you may travel at ...
There is nothing wrong or illegal about doing 95% of the posted speed ..
If it bothers the stupid , then that's not his fault its stupids fault for being stupid ...
I find it funny that some one driving sanely and safely is some how responsible for the dangerously stupid on the road ...
What is 95% of say 60kmh = 10% = 6kmh so 5% is 3kmh so he is doing 57kmh in a 60kmh zone ... ??????????? What the hell is wrong with that ?
80kmh 95% = 76kmh
100 kmh = 95kmh
I see absolutely nothing wrong with that .. ANd if it bothers some , then perhaps they need psychiatric help ...
Far too many people with mental health issues driving cars ...

They don't let the mentally ill have GUNS
So why the hell do they let them have CARS ??????
There both lethal weapons in the wrong hands ...

He never said he drives at 95% of the speed limit ;)
I have found that if I keep to what appears to be about 95% of the prevailing speed limit then

He never said he drives at 95% of the speed limit ;)
I mus have miss interpreted this part of his message "I have found that if I keep to what appears to be about 95% of the prevailing speed limit ".. my bad

They don't let the mentally ill have GUNS
Well.. in sane countries they don't but then the US of A is a different case.

But to carry on with the driving at 95% of the speed limit. you are absolutely correct that the posted speed is the maximum. And, technically impossible to do. There is no way you can drive at exactly the posted speed.. 80 is always 80 plus some fraction.. So.. the speed limit should be expressed as "less than" xxx BUT in real life.. driving at less than the speed limit when there is no reason to do it other than your righteous attitude. You create a hazard to those that you are holding up.. right or wrong..

I'd disagree. A lot is how you drive it as much as how fast you go. On multi-lane roads if you stay in the slow lane it's not impeding the flow of traffic any more than buses or trucks do. And here in SC there are (or were) laws covering the situation of slow-moving vehicles: If you are on a 2-lane road and there are 5 or more vehicles behind you who cannot legally pass, you are supposed to pull over at the first place safe to do that and allow all them to pass before re-entering the roadway yourself. Of course nobody does that here any more than they obey the posted speed limits :( I do all I can to make it easy for the idiots to fly past me if they want to :p I'll even pull over sometimes ;)

I always recommend that you set your speed to work with the traffic flow around you for best safety, yet you DO have the right to drive at or below the speed limit if you wish to, and that is where the traffic flow is supposed to be at anyway. When someone feels it is OK to break one law what is there to stop them from wanting to break another? Where does that end? You cannot complain about others who disregard traffic lights, solid lines prohibiting lane changes, or tailgaters if you think it is appropriate to break the laws you want to break yourself, for they are only doing that exact same thing based on how they think :eek:

I don't follow every traffic law, but I do drive quite safely and that is what I expect from everyone else. Unlike the UK who seem to try to have a rule covering every possible situation in traffic, we have far fewer rules here and the Judiciary makes allowances for disregarding those rules and laws when doing such is the safer thing to do even when it is clearly illegal. But where it is possible to safely follow the rules that is what is expected of you and if you drive at or below the speed limit that is exactly what you are doing :cool: If other traffic wants to go faster, they are the ones in the wrong and you should not feel compelled to join them.

The key to road safety is for everyone to not be a hazard to themselves or anyone else no matter what the laws and rules may be, but this is almost always best achieved by everybody doing their best to follow those rules and laws which were designed to increase road safety for everyone even if it inconveniences a few in the process. All the time you saved by driving fast will be lost when you once get pulled over for speeding or are in a crash you could have avoided by driving slower. Drive smart, not just fast, and you'll make better time in the long run :D

Phil

I mus have miss interpreted this part of his message "I have found that if I keep to what appears to be about 95% of the prevailing speed limit ".. my bad

no my bad, I missed that and just saw at his conclusion of not speeding, yes people that are constantly noticeably under the speed limit can be a cause of annoyance to other drivers, you're quite right about what impact that can have

People are responsible for their actions ! ( Butt ! )
It has become a modern trend to shift the blame for ones appalling behavior ...
It was bla blas fault for doing this or doing that which made me break the law .. ( ??? )
The law is simple , drive safely .. There is no excuse for not driving safely ..
And in Australia there is also that duty of care , so just because some idiot does something stupid , does in no way give you the right to make the situation worse by being a douche !
As for the truly slow , say 50kmh in a 100kmh zone .. Yes they are frustrating , and on single lane carriage ways , well U just got to suck it up ! ( Be a man not an AH )

The law often is stupid. I have done 15 over the limit for decades. No tickets, no problems.
Now I am going 3-10 under the limit. I also have my license (OOPS... registration) plates displayed horizontally as required by law. I have no idea why the state wants those plates on my dash and on the package tray under the rear window but I am following the law by making my plates as horizontal (flat) as possible.

I would find it safer and more reasonable to have higher speed limits. However, when in a 25 zone with a cop right behind you doing 10 under the limit at 15 is great sport. :p They do not take to long to pass you.

Back