another crash caught on my camera in Florida

Looks like the SUV that initiated the chain of events got away. One of those situation where it might've been better, insurance wise, to have gone straight and hope the brakes work. If not, then at least the instigator would get to bare some of the responsibility.

KuoH

Did you share the video with the cars so they can prove that they weren't at fault to their insurance and the police?
nope I didn't get involved the driver at fault took off as you can see

would have been worth going after the idiot and hoping to get the numbers. most likely they would have been going slow for half a minute before realizing they better disappear.

I'd still contact local authorities, they should be able to track down the needed parties with the date, time and location of the accident.

The red car over corrected.
There was enough room as the SUV stopped before the lane.

You think so mate? It looks as if the SUV came into the driver's lane. There was a green van that passed just before. The SUV clearly was on the same stretch of road the green van passed over as it went through the junction.

Plus it must have looked to the driver of the red car that the SUV was making that left turn as it was travelling as some speed and not stopping. Hence the panicked swing to the right, hitting the other car.

I'd still contact local authorities, they should be able to track down the needed parties with the date, time and location of the accident.

Yes, call the local police dept you think investigated the accident, tell them the time and location, and 'it turns out I have dash cam video of this accident. Here's my phone number/email address, etc.'

I've done this a few times, and the investigating officer contacted me.
Chances are the colliding cars gave the same account to the cop. 'A car turned in front of us..'
The video MAY help the cops find the car that initiated this.

Last year I saw a pickup, pulling a trailer, cause an accident by forcing a car out of a lane. The pickup never stopped. It happened far enough ahead of me I didn't think the video I may have would show anything, but it did, and also could track the pickup back to the point it passed me before the accident, and have the license plate and good screenshots of the pickup and trailer. Passed this on to the local PD.

I agree. Lanes have ample room on each side of them and had the driver in the red car made a slight correction instead of an over correction I think all they would have needed was a change of underwear and a filter over their mouth.

Problem i think is many ppl have no idea how much room their car take up on the road, and when a car seem to go way inside her imaginary car size they will compensate with vigorous movements of their steering wheel to not have their huge car hit.

Here the norm is ppl think ther car is 2 M wider than it is ( +1 M on each side ) lengthwise ppl seem to be dead on judging from how close ppl drive at speed.

I wouldn't say the red car over corrected. Natural reaction would be to avoid something trying to hit you. The video clearly shows the SVU trying to make it in to an intersection. The best way to avoid an accident is normally trying to evade it before it happens. Pretty sure who ever was driving that red car believed that SUV would quickly become directly in it's path with little to no chance for the red car to stop.

It's all a judgement call really. Do you take a hit risking personal injury to yourself at the fault of someone else. Or do you take a chance of avoiding injury with a small chance of causing an at fault accident. You never get much time to make these sudden decisions when other drivers f'up.

I wouldn't say the red car over corrected. Natural reaction would be to avoid something trying to hit you. The video clearly shows the SVU trying to make it in to an intersection. The best way to avoid an accident is normally trying to evade it before it happens. Pretty sure who ever was driving that red car believed that SUV would quickly become directly in it's path with little to no chance for the red car to stop.

It's all a judgement call really. Do you take a hit risking personal injury to yourself at the fault of someone else. Or do you take a chance of avoiding injury with a small chance of causing an at fault accident. You never get much time to make these sudden decisions when other drivers f'up.

Yes, I'm not blaming red car.
The driver panicked and got out of the way little too much.
I think there was enough room to make it through easily.
What if there was a big truck on the other lane instead of that small car or what if there was a biker?
It's as risky to go into another lane without checking what's there just because you want to avoid an accident.
The only way to do that is be aware of the next lane all the time by checking mirrors.
Also, if the speed is less/around 40mph, it won't cause serious injury with seatbelts and air bags but killing a biker or getting killed by a truck when you swerve without checking is far too worse.

Theoretically less speed creates less damage. Of the 100's of times I've been pulled out in front of, applying the brakes and keeping to my own lane has avoided all but 1 traffic incident and even then it was minimal damage; $1500 to my car and I was going 55mph with some 125 ft to stop. I fish tailed a little into the other lane, but still only collided with the at fault party who turned right on a red.

The SUV did come in hot, but it was poor judgment to swerve before braking first.

That's easy to say in hindsight. But when you've got a car heading towards you that shouldn't be, your instincts take over.
The guy who caused it probably had no idea a collision had occurred. Maybe one of those drivers who has "been driving for decades and never had an accident."

Funnily enough, I had something similar happen this morning. I was slow to react, I just didn't see it coming. I'm glad my "swerve instinct" kicked in. I sometimes worry that I'll brake but not think to turn if something unexpected happens.

Last edited:
That's the maneuver I think the person in the Red car meant to perform. I've made small corrections to avoid people poking their noses out of drives, but not enough to encroach on another drivers lane. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay a higher premium than I already am having had zero tickets and zero at fault traffic accidents.

Yeah, but if you get in the habit of doing emergency manuevers like that, you increase the chances of outcomes like this. :(
The car that caused it is long gone, you're on the side of the road trying to explain WTF just happened.

The first accident I ever got into ended up as a single-car crash. I had a 90+ YO driver pull out in front of me - and rather than t-bone her in the driver's door, I swerved onto the grass, where my rear broke loose. I struck a culvert with my rear tire, snapping it clean off. I missed the old lady by inches. She just kept on trucking. As I sat there in a three-wheeled car, watching my tire roll down the road w/o me, a resident - who had been sitting on his front porch - came up to me saying, "I just KNEW that lady was a goner - I can't believe you didn't hit her." I was ticketed for reckless driving resulting in an accident. My insurance tripled. My opinion of senior drivers TANKED (despite paying for all damages out of pocket to avoid a claim). I vowed if it ever happened again, I would AIM for the at-fault car.

That's an intense accident!

The system is messed up. Had you hit her you'd have been in the clear (assuming there was evidence or in this case a witness.) Even if you'd only collided a little.

That's what happened to me. The old guy pulled out, we hit, very little, he had NO clue and drove off and I followed.

Back