Another faulty 612 or another dodgy sd card?

RobMillward

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time poster here, I bought this camera as I had read good reviews but after less than 2 weeks I took it back to Halfords who gave me a new one. It was constantly crashing, freezing & getting extremely hot. They contacted Nextbase who authorised the replacement.
This worked much better for the first month but now has the same problems & seems to need a reset almost every other day. After reading some of the threads on here I'm now wondering if it's the sd card, it did come from evil bay & I thought that I'd done my homework on the seller but............
Here's a couple of pics if anyone can advise?
If it is a bad card, where's the best place to buy at a sensible price?
TIA Rob

20181008_092628.jpg20181008_092556.jpg

That card isn't suitable for 612GW, the SD card required for optimum performance on the Ultra 4K images is 64Gb - 128Gb with a write speed of 30MB/s (U3).

Here is an example of suitable SD cards: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01DYN4VPE

Thanks for the replies, I'll order up a new card, I do wish that suppliers wouldn't tell lies in their ads, I know that it specifically listed the 612gw in the ad, oh well onwards and upwards!

(Links removed as the 100Mbps advertising highlight is 'fake news'. They only have a 30Mbps write rate)

Nextbase high end cams need 50Mbps minimum.

Last edited:
Yes that is perfect @RobMillward the card must be a U3, which that is.

The one linked by @mac2474 is also a U3.

Unsure how they would perform in the 612GW @Kremmen their U1, good for all other products though.

@NextBase Tiffany

Whilst looking around I've found interesting posts about how high speed U3 can/could cause overheating in dashcams due to continual high write rates.
These articles suggest using U1, slower cards, to reduce heat buildup.

So many conflicting articles it's difficult to know who's right. Having looked again atthe specs they are only 30Mbps write speed so, yes, you're right, too slow.

All I know for sure is that my Sammy 128Gb U3 is still going strong and no missing files, although my longest continuous journey has only been 2 1/2 hours.

Last edited:
Whilst looking around I've found interesting posts about how high speed U3 can/could cause overheating in dashcams due to continual high write rates.
But surely the speed of the card is not relevant providing it is fast enough for the device? Fitting a faster card will not make the device write any faster.
If the card is too slow, then the cam will likely drop frames as it can't write them quick enough for continuous video.

Yep, you don't know who to believe out there. All I know is that my card is OK so far.

I've been briefly looking again and so far all the 128Gb high endurance cards seem to be U1.

Didn't it specifically say on the box for the 612gw dashcam that U3 is necessary?

Yep, you don't know who to believe out there. All I know is that my card is OK so far.

I've been briefly looking again and so far all the 128Gb high endurance cards seem to be U1.
High Endurance cards are slower than regular cards

Yes, I learnt that yesterday after Tiffany's pointer.

'If we slow the cards down they'll last longer' :D

After all this recent high endurance banter and subsequent surfing I'm thinking I bought the right card in the first place :)

The more we learn the more we find out how little we know! Confusing isn't it!

'If we slow the cards down they'll last longer' :D
Presumably your 'we' means the card manufacturers as we (us) have no method of doing that. The only thing we(us) can do is slow down the data rate that we send to the card, and that is rate generally fixed by the sending device manufacturer (with the possible exception of changing frame rates).
My thoughts are that there is little point in using a card faster than is necessary.

Go with the Samsung Evo Select U3. I have quite a few of them running in many dashcams. Worked well with Blackvue DR900 as well.

Sandisk should only be used if it’s the latest “Ultra A1”, or the High Endurance.

b4986b6cdf4201c5ceb3df87429abcbd.jpg

* all Sandisk Ultras in the photo are the A1 model. I have multiple 400GB ones and they haven’t had issue so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fast read speeds are most useful when you want to archive video

Yes, read speeds are very important if you regularly backup dashcam footage to external hard drives/NAS. Especially large memory cards. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B 612GW 12
Back