Another Mini 0801 goes Kaput !

mike_f

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought my Eprance 0801 about nine months ago & now have the dreaded red light permanently on.

Was such a good cam I thought but typical Chinese crap again.

When will I ever learn !

I've had two of those. One lasted about 4 months and the other about a week. I finally bought a Panorama 2S from Amazon. Here is my review. http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r.../ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00JFUU5OM
The big difference between the '801' and the 'Panorama', besides it being 10 times better quality, is that it doesn't use a battery. A super capacitor is used, so there is no issue of over heating and the battery bursting or not holding a charge. I live in Louisiana with high temperature and humidity, which quickly kills electronics left in a car all day. However, since the day I bought this from Jon, it has spent it's whole life in a very hot car and running 24 hour a day since August of 2014.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a Panorama first. Jon has changed his company name to 'Pier28'. I have his website link here https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/dashcams.html

Jon is one of the few really good guys. He cares about his customers like no other retailer I have ever dealt with. I cannot thank him enough for the great service.

Mike, I had researched a lot of dashcams before i made the mistake of buying an '801'. Then I did it again. If I were to give you any advice, and my wife would agree, cut to the chase and get a Panorama and be done with searching.
Best wishes and may you have a great Holiday. Thanksgiving is just down the road. Take care.
Johnny and Khristy...and Dozer too! P.S. Dozer is my English bulldog. LOL He rides shotgun on my road trips...Hehehe!

I've had two of those. One lasted about 4 months and the other about a week. I finally bought a Panorama 2S from Amazon. Here is my review. http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r.../ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00JFUU5OM
The big difference between the '801' and the 'Panorama', besides it being 10 times better quality, is that it doesn't use a battery. A super capacitor is used, so there is no issue of over heating and the battery bursting or not holding a charge. I live in Louisiana with high temperature and humidity, which quickly kills electronics left in a car all day. However, since the day I bought this from Jon, it has spent it's whole life in a very hot car and running 24 hour a day since August of 2014.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a Panorama first. Jon has changed his company name to 'Pier28'. I have his website link here https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/dashcams.html

Jon is one of the few really good guys. He cares about his customers like no other retailer I have ever dealt with. I cannot thank him enough for the great service.

Mike, I had researched a lot of dashcams before i made the mistake of buying an '801'. Then I did it again. If I were to give you any advice, and my wife would agree, cut to the chase and get a Panorama and be done with searching.
Best wishes and may you have a great Holiday. Thanksgiving is just down the road. Take care.
Johnny and Khristy...and Dozer too! P.S. Dozer is my English bulldog. LOL He rides shotgun on my road trips...Hehehe!
+1

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter"... Winston Churchill

I have read a book on Churchill written by his grandson. Winston Churchill was a great man. Perhaps you would be interested in this organization. I was an Instructor for several years and probable sold several Panorama dash-cams when participants saw mine an an Appleseed event. Go here for more information. www.RWVA.org and here is what we do. This is a link to an Appleseed that the National Guard requested we do for over 1100 troops prior to their deployment to Afghanistan.

Quick update.

The 0801 will go in the bin shortly, have ordered a Mobius to replace it from a UK shop.

It will match the one in the rear window !

I bought the 0801 I think early 2013 and it's worked well, with two exceptions:
- The battery it came with never held much of a charge. I've changed the battery over the weekend and will see if this will do better (a ZJchao 3.7V 380mah battery designed for a quadcopter) It does NOT fit within the case, but little Dremmel mods made it work.
- The mount on the windshield, being an apparently softer plastic, allowed the camera to droop soon after installation. My clips have a distinct roll to the right, but happily don't vibrate over bumps (yet).

Video quality & all still great, so I guess I got one of the good ones from that factory that month. Checking out the Panorama as a replacement if this does finally soil the bed any time soon.

Well, the replacement battery worked just fine, ugly as the connection was (below). That partially blocks the SD card slot, so moving the battery periodically was necessary to pull that when full. Too bad the added movement that is happening now has broken the connection on one of the power wires. I don't think I have a soldering gun that can quite handle the delicacy needed to re-solder that connection. The red lead will come loose soon too, I wager, unless I find a better mount point for the battery. It's currently a velcro attachment beneath the camera. Now I know not to do that.
Open_Circuit.jpg

Installed my new Mobius as threatened, works a treat.
At least the Mobius parts are replaceable !

Back