Another newbie with questions about high temps

bohica2xo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, thanks for maintaining this great forum.

I have had a few of the cheapie dash cams (around 30 bucks flip down screen etc.) and have noticed that they never last two summers here in Las Vegas. The first one had a battery - I missed out on the fire, but when it let go there were bits of plastic housing all over the front seat of my pickup. Learned that lesson and bought the "super capacitor" model next. It worked from august to may. Along with all of the usual odd behavior you expect from bargain Chinese products of course. But they did work most of the time. And one of them saved me a lot of trouble when someone backed in to my truck - and drove off. I leave it plugged in during the day.

But has any of this stuff matured in to durable product? I bought my wife a 2018 Fusion. at 556 miles a stoner totaled it in a rear end collision while stopped at a traffic light - and ran off on foot. She really wants Fore and Aft cameras in her 2019 Equinox. So I started looking at various options. The Rexing V1P gen3, the Viofo A129, I thought about a pair of Vantrue X4's But as I read the reviews, I see the same issues the cheap units have -and more. I never had a cheapie brick a memory card. It seems like 400 bucks may buy you better software and picture quality.

I stopped by the Blackvue booth at SEMA - 3 clowns having a personal conversation, who would not even acknowledge my presence. After 5 minutes I walked away with a clear picture of their Customer Service.

Doing a rear camera in that Equinox will be a pain. There are roof rail air bags, and a lot of plastic trim. So I will have to drop the headliner. I don't want to install something with a 9 month service life.

Oddly enough the Equinox came with 4 really great cameras for the driver assist. Too bad you can't access them to record, I would have video of the clown that nailed it with a door...

Anyway, I am looking for either a dual camera, or two stand alone units. I don't need WiFi or GPS. 4k would be nice. But most importantly it has to hold up in the heat.

Thanks for the info jokiin.

Looking at perhaps doing 2 of the Viofo A129 units - one front and one in the back. They seem to have decent reviews, and that would avoid the headliner R&R.

The WiFi on that unit got some bad reviews, but I don't care about phone connectivity. Just want reliability.

Back