Another parking guard hardwire kit problem/question

NLV45

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0906
So I've had my mini0906 installed for less than a month now using the parking guard hardwire kit both from @veckle. Everything was working great till a few days ago. Here is my problem:
setup: parking guard on, set to motion detection, hardwire kit protection voltage set to 12v.

When I start the car the camera is operating fine (recording 1080p). When I turn the car off the camera goes into parking guard mode (recordimg 720p) as it should. When I return to the car, camera is still in parking guard mode, but when I start the car, the camera shuts off (plays the jingle and the lights go off). In order to get the camera to turn back on, I have to power cycle it (push the power button on the side).

I have both the old hardwire kit and the new hardwire kit and it does the same thing on both kits. Kit is wired using add a circuit fuse at the car's fuse box, red wire to 12v constant, yellow wire to 12v switch (when the car is started) and black to the ground stud, all verified with a digital volt meter.

Do I have 2 defective hardwire kits?
Thanks

your car is possibly cutting power when you start it and the camera sees the power cut and goes into shutdown mode, firmware would need a bit of adjustment to sort this out if this is the case

I cant remember the menus of the 0906 but if there are something in there with some form of delay you might want to try that out.

your car is possibly cutting power when you start it and the camera sees the power cut and goes into shutdown mode, firmware would need a bit of adjustment to sort this out if this is the case
I thought this too but the camera was working perfectly with no shut down when I first installed it. But I did double checked it with volt meter when it happed and both the power and switch wires showed 12v

I cant remember the menus of the 0906 but if there are something in there with some form of delay you might want to try that out.
I do have the delay set at 30secs but I think that is for a manual camera shut down.

I thought this too but the camera was working perfectly with no shut down when I first installed it. But I did double checked it with volt meter when it happed and both the power and switch wires showed 12v

the accessory power will cut briefly when you start the car

the accessory power will cut briefly when you start the car
Humm maybe, but why would the camera work perfectly when I installed it 3 weeks ago and now acting up? I'll go out to the garage to test your theory and see if it does cut when initial start

Humm maybe, but why would the camera work perfectly when I installed it 3 weeks ago and now acting up? I'll go out to the garage to test your theory and see if it does cut when initial start

power will cut briefly, how long it cuts for and what state the camera is in at that time may impact what happens

Ok, so I just went out and metered the voltage. This time I used a analog meter since they are more sensitive and can detect minor voltage drops.
Measured at the yellow wire:
With the key off = 0.05 volts
With key on in accessory positiom = 12.3 volts
With key in crank (start ) position = 12.3 volts
So no real voltage drop during the crack cycle.

Measured at the yellow wire:
With the key off = 0.05 volts
With key on in accessory positiom = 12.3 volts
With key in crank (start ) position = 12.3 volts

This is not about the static voltage, but the critical voltage when igniting and the duration
the DC-DC converter in hardwire kit will stop working if input voltage lower than 9.5V.
if power cut off time for camera longer than 2 seconds, the camera will have to start shut down.
(the built-in super capacitor can only support 5~6 seconds for a complete shut down)

igniting1.jpg

***UPDATE*** So I went out and relooked at everything and changed the voltage setting to a lower cutoff to 12v and everything seems to be working fine now. I think what was happening was that with the higher cutoff voltage of 12.2v the camera was operating as it was designed but when I open the doors the voltage demand on the battery dropped it below 12.2v. The hardwire kit sensed the lower battery voltage and turned off the camera as designed.

Thanks again for everyone's help and explanations. So far this camera is operating exactly as expected... a well thoughtout and made product.

Last edited:
I've been having some similar issues but in reverse. Camera works fine when car running and will mostly go into parking mode when car switched off. However recently, especially if I've had heated seats, steering wheel and/or rear heated screen on, when I turn the car off (I always turn seats etc off first before switching car off) the camera just switches off (It has stayed on for at least 6 hours before). I have the voltage set at 12.2v, having viewed the tables showing battery voltage, to be on the safe side (don't want to kill the battery).
Is it just a case that I need to lower the cut off to 12v? According to the battery capacity tables that would be allowing the car battery to get quite low?
Any help or advice appreciated.

I would lowered it to the 12v cut off range. The tolerance for the cut off voltage is not that tight so you should be safe to do so. My Mercedes is power hungry and i have no issues since I lowered it to the 12v cutoff range and the camera has been working perfectly since then.

Also be aware that they have a tolerance of ±0.XV. So in your case your unit might trip higher at 12.3V if the tolerance of your unit is ±0.1V if set to 12.2V. I know the Power Magic Pro has a tolerance of ±0.1V.

Back