(answered) Reliable dashcam with similar video quality to A119S?

ooofest

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Folks,
As I posted over at Reddit , our A119S units have been unfortunately terrible from a reliability standpoint since we purchased them last year. The SD card brand and type didn't seem to matter, nor the weather: they last about 2-4 weeks before something gets corrupted and the menu becomes inaccessible, small fragments of videos may or may not be created, they lose prior settings, etc. Meanwhile, the cards would still read and write well in other devices or computers, except once in awhile something in their file system would be so munged up that it required a format to clear things. The A119S would be unusable even just swapping with a known, good SD card from the other unit - it would always require a new firmware reinstall to get going again.

The video quality was great when they actually did work, but when I really needed a dashcam replay for a recent event, my car's A119S had silently failed again. That was the last straw and I decided to no longer put up with our A119S problems.

Any recommendations for a similar level of low-light video quality in a more reliable model/brand, please?

I have a hard-wired hookup for the USB power today, but can change that out if necessary. I don't need 2 channels, but that could be fine if the model is of good quality.

Last edited:
(in reply to a post which was moved elsewhere)

Thanks, that's very cool . . . but, I'd like to go for something with great support and a known reliability record, if possible :)

Last edited:
I decided to go for the Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO: this brand always seems to have a good reputation for reliability and support, plus its videos look clear enough for my preferences.

It also seems to use the same power connector as our prior Viofo model and can expand to a dual-camera configuration (which is an attractive future option.)

I believe you will be very pleased with this choice.

Phil

Just a quick update: after a month with the Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO there have been no memory card issues or incomplete video capture files. The video quality has been good and it simply works well thus far - I'm quite satisfied with this choice.

Meanwhile, my spouse's A119S continued to eat up the memory card, reset itself, etc. so we'll be getting another SGGCX2PRO as an upgrade/replacement.

Just a quick update: after a month with the Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO there have been no memory card issues or incomplete video capture files. The video quality has been good and it simply works well thus far - I'm quite satisfied with this choice.

Meanwhile, my spouse's A119S continued to eat up the memory card, reset itself, etc. so we'll be getting another SGGCX2PRO as an upgrade/replacement.

get in touch with @Street Guardian USA and we'll make sure to do you a better deal as a return customer

Viofo is garbage.
I am also looking for a replacement.
Mine did not even have a battery installed.
So, date always reset, it was never able to loop, and stopped recording when full.
Unacceptable.

Well batteries are not really recommended, capacitors are favored,,,, either way they are only there to correctly finish the last recording in case of a event.
Your resetting clock must be as a result of the little RCT battery being faulty.
BUT ! a Dashcam should recycle old footage, and i don't even think you can choose a wrong setting in a viofo dashcam to get to that, but of course if RCT battery are wrong then your first file will probably be the first to be deleted as cameras most often reset to a date a few years old.

Well batteries are not really recommended, capacitors are favored,,,, either way they are only there to correctly finish the last recording in case of a event.
Your resetting clock must be as a result of the little RCT battery being faulty.
BUT ! a Dashcam should recycle old footage, and i don't even think you can choose a wrong setting in a viofo dashcam to get to that, but of course if RCT battery are wrong then your first file will probably be the first to be deleted as cameras most often reset to a date a few years old.
Viofo forgot to install the little watch battery.
Total garbage quality control.

Excrement occurs. There are many hundreds of folks on various internet sites who are satisfied with their A119S. This is a mass-produced consumer-grade product where there will always be a few 'dud' units slipping through QC no matter who builds them or how expensive they are- that's what warranties are for. Even with the issues I've had myself with some Viofo cams, I'd buy this one in a heartbeat if I could.

Phil

Open a ticket at viofo homepage, show them the missing battery. Im sure they will send a replacement.

I have never got issues with viofo service, and many other people too

Back