Any alternatives to Viofo A129 Pro Duo?

mpm235

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Before I buy for my new car, I would like to ask everyone for recommendations for any possible alternatives to Viofo A129 Pro Duo please?

My priorities are: reliability, compact / discreet, simplicity in use, good image quality. (I have no intrest in cloud storage, Alexa's voice, lane departure warning ( been driving 33 years, managed without it so far...) , Blueteeth, or uncle Tom Cobbley's dogs breakfast information.

Thanks in advance for any recomendations, cheers, Mark

Based on my experience you can't go wrong with one of the Street Guardian dual cam options - either the SGGCX2Pro+ (with optional rear camera) or the SG9663DCPro+. From a reliability perspective I bought my first SG cameras nearly 7 years ago and they're still in daily use and have never failed to record - plus customer service is probably the best you'll find anywhere.

Viofo A139 in 2 channel version is a good alternative if you prefer the style or features.

Based on my experience you can't go wrong with one of the Street Guardian dual cam options - either the SGGCX2Pro+ (with optional rear camera) or the SG9663DCPro+. From a reliability perspective I bought my first SG cameras nearly 7 years ago and they're still in daily use and have never failed to record - plus customer service is probably the best you'll find anywhere.
Thanks very much Mate, Cheers, Mark

Hmm interesting I never heard of it but looks good but no motion detect parking mode huh ? I got the a139 viofo for motion detector feature. However it's not refined software so has issue there. Does your camera keep wifi on all the time or it turns off after a while ?

Hmm interesting I never heard of it but looks good but no motion detect parking mode huh ? I got the a139 viofo for motion detector feature. However it's not refined software so has issue there. Does your camera keep wifi on all the time or it turns off after a while ?
I don't use either parking mode or wifi so I'm not in a position to address either. I'm sure @jokiin or @Street Guardian USA can provide you with answers once they see they've been tagged.

SG do not have the flawed motion detect in their dashcams, only parking guard options are time lapse - low bitrate and G - sensor.

Motion detection isn’t reliable. Street Guardian has continuous recording in parking mode so nothing is missed. It’s half the bitrate of normal driving recordings so plenty of room if you get 128GG 255GB or even 512GB. G-Sensor has its own parking mode setting, I use the high setting

yep low bitrate + G sensor high setting = :love:
even if parking mode G sensor would not hurt to have even higher sensitivity,,,,, like Jamaican high :)

I've just noticed that I haven't seen @jokiin around here for a while. I hope he is doing well and hope to see him back to the forums soon.

Motion detection isn’t reliable. Street Guardian has continuous recording in parking mode so nothing is missed. It’s half the bitrate of normal driving recordings so plenty of room if you get 128GG 255GB or even 512GB. G-Sensor has its own parking mode setting, I use the high setting
Can the parking mode be used all the time without car battery drain or damage? I've read a lot of people with this complaint on various dash cams. Wondering if it is a wiring issue, device issue, or simply inevitable to cause problems.

Can the parking mode be used all the time without car battery drain or damage? I've read a lot of people with this complaint on various dash cams. Wondering if it is a wiring issue, device issue, or simply inevitable to cause problems.

The SGDCHW / SGX2HW and DR 3-wire hardwire kit all have low voltage cutoff built in. The DashCam will shut down one of two reasons.

1) The shutdown timer value elapses (5 minute to 24H in the settings menu)
Or
2) A low voltage condition exists. (Safer to set cut off value to one of the 12.x Volt settings not 11.x)

The longer and more often you use packing mode the faster it will wear out the battery faster no way around that except to add a 3rd party battery such as the CEELLINK NEO with unspliced 3-wire cable option connected to the 3-wire hardwire kit

The SGDCHW / SGX2HW and DR 3-wire hardwire kit all have low voltage cutoff built in. The DashCam will shut down one of two reasons.

1) The shutdown timer value elapses (5 minute to 24H in the settings menu)
Or
2) A low voltage condition exists. (Safer to set cut off value to one of the 12.x Volt settings not 11.x)

The longer and more often you use packing mode the faster it will wear out the battery faster no way around that except to add a 3rd party battery such as the CEELLINK NEO with unspliced 3-wire cable option connected to the 3-wire hardwire kit

Curious, you said street guardians use a low bitrate recording. Is this real time and continuous similar to what Viofo uses? Where in parking mode, you're still capture at 29 FPS and live motion recording. Only at a lesser bitrate.

What Two Channel Options from Street Guardian Offer this feature?

Someone asked me about dash cams and curious of Street Guardian's offerings.

Last edited:
You can choose Timelapse parking recording (1FPS, 3FPs, 5FPS) or full 30FPS video with audio as well. The full option is a lower bitrate than normal recording. Quality looks the same though since there is much less to compress with the lesser scene changes happening, more static than compared to driving. I always recommend and use the 30FPS setting. (The setting is called “Parking Monitor”) as long as you have a 128GB+ card size.
This method has worked very well for a few years now.
All our latest products support it.

What models Support 30 FPS Lower Bitrate Recording that are 2 Channel?

You can choose Timelapse parking recording (1FPS, 3FPs, 5FPS) or full 30FPS video with audio as well. The full option is a lower bitrate than normal recording. Quality looks the same though since there is much less to compress with the lesser scene changes happening, more static than compared to driving. I always recommend and use the 30FPS setting. (The setting is called “Parking Monitor”) as long as you have a 128GB+ card size.
This method has worked very well for a few years now.
All our latest products support it.

What models Support 30 FPS Lower Bitrate Recording that are 2 Channel?
Every model supports the same parking mode settings. (including 30FPS with Audio)
For SG9663DCPRO+ add the SGDCHW
For the SGGCX2PRO+ or SG9663TD add the SGX2HW
The SG9663DR comes with the 3-wire hardwire kit in the box

Back